Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me some reasons my car may not recognize the key fob and refuse to start? They power to the lights and stereo and such would turn on but it wouldn’t crank. The light with the car with the little key in it was lit up. I took it back out of the ignition and just sat there for a couple minutes. It finally recognized it and started. This is a little unnerving as this car take my children on trips far from home pretty consistently. I don’t want to be stranded because of a stupid key. Is there any way to start it without the key fob recognized like an emergency backup or something? Why would this just happen randomly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
With glove box open, on its upper left side is a slot. If it won't turn over due to lack of fob recognition, insert it there and it will start.

Mine has done the same thing once or twice. I lock and unlock with the fob and then it all works again.

I may check fobs battery when i have time, might be low?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,678 Posts
With glove box open, on its upper left side is a slot. If it won't turn over due to lack of fob recognition, insert it there and it will start.

Mine has done the same thing once or twice. I lock and unlock with the fob and then it all works again.

I may check fobs battery when i have time, might be low?
This only works on the 2011-2013 Optima models, not on the 4th Gen models.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
Boy, they don't make 'em like the use to, eh?

Well I guess OP is shxt out of Luck, sorry.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
I think K5OS may have been referring to the start button that's next to the steering wheel; if your car indeed does not have this button, then that would imply that a physical/mechanical key is used to start the vehicle--in which case I'm curious to understand as to why the keyfob needs to be in proximity in order for the car to start since isn't your typical key ignition pretty much mechanical in nature (turn mechanical key in ignition to start)?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,678 Posts
I think K5OS may have been referring to the start button that's next to the steering wheel; if your car indeed does not have this button, then that would imply that a physical/mechanical key is used to start the vehicle--in which case I'm curious to understand as to why the keyfob needs to be in proximity in order for the car to start since isn't your typical key ignition pretty much mechanical in nature (turn mechanical key in ignition to start)?
Yep, exactly what I meant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I’m aware of what he meant by a start button. My car isn’t one with a “smart key”. After consulting the trusty owners manual I have discovered that the warning light I had mentioned earlier is not a key fob thing, it is the engine immobilizer or whatever. The only fix it lists is taking it to the dealership, but like I said I haven’t had the problem again. I’ll just chalk this one up to the cold weather. Thanks everyone for the discussion

·
Registered
2018 Optima EX, 2019 Stinger GT2 AWD
67 Posts
Most cars these days have a PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) if it is not smart key equipped. This is a passive ID chip in the key itself that the car must recognize before it will allow it to start. Not sure if your optima has it, you didn't specify the year or trim level.
Some things that can interfere are large metallic objects near the key and steering column, other electronic devices on the key fob, or other such passive keys on the same fob.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima 2012 Kia Optima LX
33 Posts
Maybe what the OP was trying to say is that his car has an aftermarket remote start. My first thought would be to replace the fob's battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone tell me some reasons my car may not recognize the key fob and refuse to start? They power to the lights and stereo and such would turn on but it wouldn’t crank. The light with the car with the little key in it was lit up. I took it back out of the ignition and just sat there for a couple minutes. It finally recognized it and started. This is a little unnerving as this car take my children on trips far from home pretty consistently. I don’t want to be stranded because of a stupid key. Is there any way to start it without the key fob recognized like an emergency backup or something? Why would this just happen randomly?

my car had the same problem and the issue was the inhibitor switch.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
595 Posts
my car had the same problem and the issue was the inhibitor switch.
Could be..... From an old Thread:.... [The Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) which is also sometimes referred to as the Automatic Transmission Inhibitor Switch] is basically just a device which senses what position/gear the car is in and sends that information back to the computer. This allows the car to display the current gear on the dashboard and

it may also prevent the car from starting if the computer believes that the car is not in Park/Neutral.

My Symptoms had to do with Gear Position Display being Blank (P, R, N, D ) and funny Shifting feel. This suggests other symptoms.
Fault Code was P0705..............AutoZone Fault Reader or buy one as I just did.

BAFX OBD II Reader $21 + $6 Ship

Software ...Paid $4 during Install for Pro Ver - Worked 1st time..... Box data ref's Torque App but more negatives there and more +++ for CarScanner.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
Ah I just read the comments has no idea the new optimal doesn’t have a push to start . Interesting
I think you are misunderstanding the comments, because the new Optima has push to start.

Also note, Kia doesn't call the car an optimal. They no longer use the name Optima. It's called the K5.

·
Registered
Optima 2013 sxl pearl
4 Posts
I think you are misunderstanding the comments, because the new Optima has push to start.

Also note, Kia doesn't call the car an optimal. They no longer use the name Optima. It's called the K5.
I have a 2013 , I still call mines optima lol sorry 😂

1 - 17 of 17 Posts