Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, as myth daughter was leaving for work, she says her key car isn’t starting. Immobilizer light flashes/stays solid, car will turn on or start. I put in a NEW BATTERY, still the same. I’m thinking it’s the battery and she left the parking lights on, I jump the car (later see the lights were not on). She takes mom’s car, I get back to work/research this issue. I later go back outside and.....

Approach car, use key fob to unlock car, car unlocks successfully
Press start button, nothing happens. Immobilizer indicator flashes. No other warning.
Put key in glove box hole, press start button without brake, immobilizer light is solid, notice start button light is amber
Parking lights are on, though the lights are switched off :unsure:.
Press start button without brake again, car acts normal (other lights turn on, car bings)
Press brake, then start button, car says, “GOODBYE”
Keep foot on brake, press start button again, nothing but solid immobilizer light. Key is still in glove box hole.
Press start button without brake, back to normal agin.
Take out key, close glove box.
Press start button without brake again, car turns off “GOODBYE”.
Press start button with brake, nothing, immobilizer flashes.
Put key back in glove box hole, press start button twice, without foot on brake, back to normal (first time nothing happened)
Remove key from glove box, press brake, GOODBYE.
Get out car, car will not lock with button.

Then I do several iterations of the press-the-start-button-with-the-key trick, nothing.

Seems like the car recognizes the key fob only if it’s in the glove box hole.

What is the issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Possible to make a youtube video showing the symptoms?

As a note, I did previously have intermittent issues with a key fob that had a low battery. The lock/unlock functionality was working but when starting the car it needed to be in the slot in the glove box. I suggest trying with another brand new battery, it's possible your "new" battery is not 100%.

Also, if you have a 2nd key fob, test with that to see if the problem is from the 1st key fob only, or if it's from the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wife’s car was saying her key fob’s battery was dead and swapped her battery from the same pack I used for my daughter’s fob, which the car came with only 1 fob, btw.
Car wouldn’t start w/ the key in the slot. Only accessory and off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts