Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 months ago I got my car battery changed out. When I got back into the car, the fob didn't work, the car showed it didn't recognize the key fob, but I knew I could put it in the glovebox and it worked just fine for me to get home. I didn't think much about it as I thought it just had to either resync or reprogram itself. So I went home and found something online where you put the key in the glovebox, don't fully turn the car on and off until you hear the door locks cycle and then leave the key in. You then press the unlock or lock button on the remote and wait to hear the doors lock on unlock to verify it was programmed, then just turned off the car.

The above steps worked for me for a like a week or so, but then eventually I had the same issue, key was not recognized. So I decided to replace the battery in my key fob and that worked again for about another 2-3 weeks and then it started happening again. What I have been noticing is that if I don't use my car for maybe like 2 days, it will happen again. I will add I have also tried with my spare key fob throughout this whole process, which I didn't need to reprogram, and it hasn't worked for me since the car battery was replaced.

The latest happened Sunday evening where I did not drive my car about 2.5 days and it didn't work. My car doors were locked for some reason and I had to hit the key fob multiple times to unlock. When I got into the car I had to put the fob in the glovebox to work. It worked fine Monday, but then this morning I go to get into my car and my fob was not recognized, so I had to put it in the glovebox again.

I can't imagine it to be a key fob battery issue as I have had batteries in the fob last for many months on end, if not longer. I have also had my car battery changed about 4 years ago and I never had this issue when it was done. I would think the fob batteries should last a lot longer.

Is there a chance that something went wrong with the car battery replacement that is causing all of this or something that wasn't hooked up correctly or in a timely fashion? Could it be a bad key fob or does it need reprogramming?

Does anyone have any recommendations about how I can go about fixing this? I was thinking about taking it back to the place that changed my car battery, but not sure what they will do.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Optima LX Bright Silver
10 Posts
You could try holding the lock and unlock button at the same time till your flashers blink 3 times that will kinda reset it.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:
As it is happening more frequent, I noticed that when it doesn't work, the light on the key fob does not flicker at all. After I drive with it in the glove box and then take it out, the light then starts to flicker when pressing a button.
Does that glove box key holder charge the key somehow or resync it to work? Just not sure how it would start to work after being in the glove box for a short while. It does only work for like another 12 hours or so though, then it stops working.
I might try replacing the key fob battery again, but am wondering if the fob might have something wrong with it?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,184 Posts
Sometimes the "new" replacement battery for the key fob is just crappy or defective. Don't 100% trust that the "new" battery is actually working. Sometimes the batteries are expired so when you open the new package it's already too late, or it somehow leaked or had issues.

But the fact that the red light stopped flashing is almost certainly the signs of a bad battery.

There is no way to charge the key fob or its battery. The fob uses just a regular old coin battery that is not rechargeable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts