Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the car to the local Advanced Auto for a battery replacement. Watched the technician/salesmen replace the battery. They used a memory keep Alive battery hooked up via the OBDII port in order to retain memory. They finished...I got in and started the car with the memory minder still hooked up and everything was fine. They disconnected the memory minder I shut off the car and went inside to sign paperwork. Came out and the key fob is no longer working and car won't start. Fussed around and figured out the glovebox insert of the key fob to get the car started but the fob is still not working and I can't lock the car. TPMS is indicating low too even though all tires and inflated properly. This is a 2012 Optima SX. Am I doomed to going to the dealer to reprogram everything? If so pretty much wipes out the $35 I saved by buying this battery. everything? What was done wrong during this replacement for the future in case I need to get another battery?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
12 Posts
I have a 2014 Ex. Satellite radio, navigation and all of the goodies. It has the computer thingies in speedo, MPG, distance to empty, etc. I have disconnected the battery numerous times with out hooking up anything to the OBD port. I have even taken the battery out of the car for a few hours at a time. Never had any issues like you are having. Only thing I have to do is reset the radio station buttons, radio speaker pre-sets, maybe the clock if you do not have satellite radio and such. It does take a few minutes to do this but it isn't any problem. Why not disconnect the battery ground. Leave it off for a couple of minutes, then reconnect it and see what happens. You should know immediately if this corrects the problem. I do not think it would damage anything doing this and it may save you a trip to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I left and drove home so I could access the net myself instead of relying on them to try and figure out the issue. I did speak to the store manager and made her aware of the issue before I left though. I will probably take it to the dealer to fix and present them with any bill. Not like there is much I could do once I could start the car given I have to go to work in the morning.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Good news bad news. Good news is I got a quote to reprogram the Smart Keys from the dealer of $55 and the Store Manager of Advance Auto will cover the charge. The bad news is I had occasion to drive the car tonight after dark and noticed the following.

1) Trip Computer does not retain the miles driven...every time the the car is restarted the mileage is reset.
2) Turn signals work but no indication they are working on the Dash.
3) Interior Lights do not come on when door opened.
4) HeadLight and Fog Lamps "on" indicator lights on dash do not come on even though the lights are on.
5) TPMS Low Tire Pressure indicator flashes then stays on solid after the car is driven a bit.

Point being I have issues that go beyond a simple Smart Key and/or TPMS reset. It kind of indicates either the Keep Alive Memory Power is not available now and/or that power in the car was interrupted during the battery change out regardless of the use of the Memory Minder Battery plugged into the OBDII Port. Looking at the Owners Manual it looks like I have some resetting procedures to go through for the windows, trip computer etc to get things restored. Not sure about why the interior lights are not working though the manual says they may not if battery power was disconnected. I don't see where they say in the rest procedures that the interior lights will be restored/reset. I also don't see the connection to the indicating lights on the dash not working.

·
Registered
2013 Kia SX
505 Posts
Make sure the power fuse "shunt" in the fuse panel is good. When the cars come from the factory we need to push that shunt in to get any power and the car will not start if it's a oush start without that being installed first. It is the yellow tab with two fuses for the room and audio

·
Registered
2013 Kia SX
505 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the Yellow "Shunt" and it was pushed in. I cycled it and it made no difference. I did find a reference in the Owners Manual about all the "stuff" that won't work if the Memory Fuse in the Instrument Panel Fuse box is blown or open and it mirrors many of the symptoms I now have with various items not working correctly. So tomorrow off to the parts store to buy fuses to keep in reserve.

Not sure about your car but on my Optima SX neither of the 12V Powered Outlets on the console are powered when the Ignition is off which means they would not backfeed power to retain memory. Other than hooking a source directly to the battery cables before disconnecting them from the battery I see no way to keep power to any memory functions in the car if not by using a battery hooked to the OBDII Connector unless one is willing to jump power directly to a fuse in the fuse box.. There are a bunch of these OBDII Memory Savers for sale....just google for them.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stoli,

Suggest you read the entire thread...this goes WAY beyond reprogramming the radio. I paid to have a new battery installed....they screwed it up now many functions on the car no longer work.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
29,375 Posts
stoli,

Suggest you read the entire thread...this goes WAY beyond reprogramming the radio. I paid to have a new battery installed....they screwed it up now many functions on the car no longer work.
I think what he was asking was if it is really that big of a deal to plug something in to try and save your radio stations from getting reset in the first place.

I've followed this thread and have read everything, but what I don't understand is what exactly the purpose of this "memory keep alive" battery thing was that was plugged in? I'm pretty sure that the radio stations do not get reset when you disconnect the battery. At least not on my old 2012 SX Optima anyway. Was there something else you were trying to prevent from getting reset?

Also there are at least (4) additional "room" fuses which are the red 10 amp ones located in either the fuse box underneath the steering wheel or the one in the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well....I can only surmise that the reason the Smart Key no longer works is because power was interrupted or shorted causing the memory for that sub-system to go away necessitating reprograming the system. Given I can't start the car without using the Smart Key Bypass, can't lock or unlock the car, can't get into the trunk via the Smart Key plus all the other symptoms I now have they are of much more concern to me than having to reprogramming the radio presets. Is this because the power to the memory functions in the car were interrupted when the battery was swapped out????? It APPEARS to be the case but perhaps not. I assume most would not like to pay $55 or more to reprogram the Smart Key system if they need to change a battery.

Now on a Kia Optima SX perhaps you CAN't power the memory via the OBDII Port.......some manufacturers don't allow it. Bottom Line here is I am trying to inform other owners of the issue and potential problems if they need to change the battery or have someone do it for them that are unaware of the potential problems if done incorrectly. I would like to KNOW for my own edification how to do this properly so I can do it myself in the future if a battery replacement is required. Knowing what I know now I would hook a battery trickle charger to the battery cables before disconnecting them ...but who knows????....maybe what another poster said which was disconnecting the battery causes no problems and memory savers are not required is the way to go.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
29,375 Posts
Well... who knows????....maybe what another poster said which was disconnecting the battery causes no problems and memory savers are not required is the way to go.
Yes exactly, this is correct. You just unplug the battery and replace it with a new one and tighten the cables onto the battery. That's it, nothing else is required.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seaching the Optima Shop Manual I find no references to the need for a memory saver when disconnecting battery terminals or replacing the battery. There are several car functions that need to be reset like the power windows, panoramic sunroof etc...but nothing about Smart Key .

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
29,375 Posts
Seaching the Optima Shop Manual I find no references to the need for a memory saver when disconnecting battery terminals or replacing the battery. There are several car functions that need to be reset like the power windows, panoramic sunroof etc...but nothing about Smart Key .
What is happening on your car is not normal or included in your owners manual. It sounds like this device they used may have caused a ton of problems.

Wait a second here, have you even checked the fuse to see if it was blown? If not, this is what would be causing all of these issues is the single 10 amp fuse mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is what I will be checking tomorrow when I have replacement fuses available if they are blown. What I am looking at now is called a Power Connector (Room LP) shown in the Owner's Manual and which lists the following circuits being protected on this circuit. This is a different 10A Fuse than the "Memory Fuse" I have been referring to that actually appears to be a circuit breaker inside the Instrument Panel Fuse Box.

1) Driver/Passenger Smart Key Outside Handle
2) Driver IMS Module
3) Lamp Auto Cutout Relay
4) Driver/Passenger Door Scuff Lamp
5) Ignition Key ILL & Door Warning Switch
6) A/C Control Module
7) Data Link Connector
8) RF Reciever
9) BCM
10) Electro Chromic Mirror
11) Instrument Cluster
12) Auto-Light & Photo Sensor
13) Tire Pressure Monitoring Module

All of the above seem to mirror at least most of the symptoms I listed and have noticed.

Also when I reffered to the Shop Manual I meant the Shop Manual not the Owners Manual. That is where the procedure for battery replacement was read.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
29,375 Posts
That is what I will be checking tomorrow when I have replacement fuses available if they are blown. What I am looking at now is called a Power Connector (Room LP) which lists the following circuits being protected on this circuit. This is a different 10A Fuse than the "Memory Fuse" I have been referring to that actually appears to be a circuit breaker inside the Instrument Panel Fuse Box.

1) Driver/Passenger Smart Key Outside Handle
2) Driver IMS Module
3) Lamp Auto Cutout Relay
4) Driver/Passenger Door Scuff Lamp
5) Ignition Key ILL & Door Warning Switch
6) A/C Control Module
7) Data Link Connector
8) RF Reciever
9) BCM
10) Electro Chromic Mirror
11) Instrument Cluster
12) Auto-Light & Photo Sensor
13) Tire Pressure Monitoring Module

All of the above seem to mirror at least most of the symptoms I listed and have noticed.
If you haven't checked the fuse yet, I can tell you without a doubt that that's going to be what the problem is. There's no need to go out and buy additional fuses, did you see my post number 12 above? The vehicle includes several spare fuses so that you can replace this one that has been blown. The process literally takes about 2-3 minutes to do and your car will be working just as it was before in no time.

·
04/2014 ROTM
2011 SX
3,587 Posts
stoli,

I was simply refering to using a tender when swapping the battery. Just disconnect the old, put in the new and be done.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.