Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a wing spoiler from the K5OptimaStore and here is the DIY on how to install it and hook up the brake light. A 2.8 pound color-matched beauty of a spoiler! This is for model year 2011-2013

Includes a fully functional LED brake light built in.

Each corner came with 3M tape and two brass mounting bolts.

Tools and components you will need to mount the spoiler:
Black sharpie, measuring tape, ¼” drill bit, power drill, extra lengths of wire, silicone caulking, possibly extra 3M automotive tape, Philips screw driver, 10mm nut driver or socket, painters/masking tape, soldering iron or similar mechanism to join wires, & maybe electrical tape.

Now how do you install something of this size? It’s too large and heavy to just use 3M tape, so drilling your trunk for the two mounting bolts per side is a must. I noticed each hole in the spoiler is inset 5/8” of an inch.

Using a sharpie, I placed a black dot on the very edge of the spoiler where the bolt hole was (knowing that it was inset from that dot 5/8” of an inch). I did this 4 times, one for each bolt hole.

Because I was going to be drilling holes through my trunk, I placed painters tape on the top of the trunk to help prevent any flaking or metal shaving from scratching the paint.

Using a ¼” drill bit, I drilled two holes per side 5/8” in from the edge of the spoiler and horizontal to where I placed my black dots earlier.

On the drivers side of the car, you will have to drill a 3rd hole to route the brake light wires through. As you can see, my hole is up and to the left from this position as shown in the angle of this photo. I have a distance of 1 and 7/8” inch between the two. You don’t have to be exact, just close as there is a small gap between the spoiler bottom and the trunk in which the wires can route. NOTE: the trunk lid is double walled and for a cleaner install, just drill through the outer wall for your wire hole. You’ll see why down below.

You will certainly need to extend the brake light wires in order to tap into the cars brake lights. You need additional lengths of positive and ground wire. The easiest place to tap into the car’s brake light wires is the driver’s side inside brake light housing. The one that opens with the trunk lid.

You will need to remove that brake light. It’s held in place by (3) 10mm nuts, two of which are easily seen with the trunk lid open and the third is under the black trunk lid liner. Removing or loosening the black liner on the underside of the trunk lid is straight forward and simple so I won’t go into it here. And once you remove the 3 nuts holding the inner drivers side brake light, it pulls right out. Don’t forget to disconnect the white brake light wire harness.

Speaking of th brake light wire harness, you will need to tap into the black wire (ground of course) and the solid green wire to the immediate right of the black, as shown in my picture.

Now comes the tricky part, running the brake light wires cleanly into the trunk. In the pictures below, you can see my extra wire lengths green and red (looks black in this photo) coming out between the two trunk lid metal sheets. There is a significant gap there and I took advantage of it.

To make this work, I’d recommend closing the trunk lid (so you are not working against gravity) and then feed your wire into the hole you drilled in your trunk lid specifically for the brake wire. Keep stuffing in wire in the hole, angling it from left to right and with a couple fingers of your other hand, reach into the gap between the two metal sheets of your trunk as seen here in the photo and pull the wires out.

Here is a closer picture of the gap and my extra wire lengths.

Solder or otherwise connect your wires to the brake light harness. Wrap with tape. And now to mount the spoiler itself!
• First, put some silicone into the holes you drilled into your trunk lid. This will help prevent rust should moisture leak in.
• Open the trunk if you still have it closed.
• If you want, add some extra 3M automotive tape to each end of the spoiler (I did).
• Peel off the blue tape from the factory and expose the 3M tape (including yours if you added more).
• Position the spoiler appropriately on the trunk lid, being careful to line it up equally on each end.
• Pull on the extra brake light wires to get rid of any extra slack underneath the spoiler.
• The drilled trunk lid holes should match up with the mounting holes on the spoiler. Visually check all 4. Adjust as necessary (slightly larger holes can be drilled if necessary)
• Insert brass bolts that came with the spoiler and tighten, but do not over tighten!
• Reattach the brake light you removed earlier and put back the black trunk lid liner.

The end result!!! Enjoy!!!

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,251 Posts
Awesome DIY as usual sir. Thank you for sharing this with the community!!

Anyone curious about buying this spoiler, we will be creating a "interest" post this week to see who all would be interested in a group buy for it.

So make sure to stay tuned and keep an eye out on the forum here for that thread.

Also here is a link to the DIY Jason created which is also stored on our site in preparation for the product which will soon be added.

2011-2015 Kia Optima - LED Trunk Spoiler - DIY Installation Guide - K5 Optima Store

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome DIY as usual sir. Thank you for sharing this with the community!!

Anyone curious about buying this spoiler, we will be creating a "interest" post this week to see who all would be interested in a group buy for it. So make sure to stay tuned and keep an eye out on the forum here for that thread. Also here is a link to the DIY Jason created which is also stored on our site in preparation for the product which will soon be added.

2011-2015 Kia Optima - LED Trunk Spoiler - DIY Installation Guide - K5 Optima Store
Thanks David. :)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
51 Posts
Hi Jason,
Thanks for the DIY. What did you do to cover the holes from the previous lip spoiler?

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jason, Thanks for the DIY. What did you do to cover the holes from the previous lip spoiler?
My previous lip spoiler was only attached with 3M tape, so nothing to cover up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts