Kia Optima Forums banner

K5OS Canbus Module Install

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  gmoney5588 
#1 · (Edited)
My 2017 Optima Hybrid EX did not have remote start. The dealer wanted $900 to install a remote start. Not only was the price insanely prohibitive, their remote start had a separate fob to carry. Forget that.

I searched around and found the K5 Optima Store offered a K5OS Canbus module that allowed remote start with OEM key fob. It does more than remote start, so check out the features at the K5 Optima Store. No affiliation other than satisfied customer.

https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/k5os-canbus-control-module

The K5OS Canbus module comes with all the wiring harnesses you need to connect to your Kia. Instructions are provided per links at the K5 store canbus page. I'm old school so I printed paper manuals to read.

For less than two bucks, FedEx Office printed the pdf wiring schematic for my application in color on 11" x 17" paper. IIRC the pdf schematic defaults to larger than 8.5 x 11, like 10 x 14. The larger schematic is easier for my old eyes to read. Note that the image is copyrighted so I had to sign a document saying I had permission and wouldn’t misuse it.

It's cold and rainy today so I just started prep work. Look for the install on my vaca later in month. Rather than deal with wire organization under the dash in the car, I did a preemptive organizational strike on the bench.

Following the schematic for my vehicle, 2016+Optima, I organized wires into smaller harnesses per connection to the specific vehicles harness connectors. Basically, I’ll connect to right and left kick panel, push button start and dash fuse panel. I used TechFlex sleeving I had from previous DIY projects to cover the wires. A small piece of shrink tubing on each end keeps it on wire and prevents the TechFlex covering from fraying. I used a label printer to make ID tags for a specific wire and for each harness to the specific vehicle harness connector they connect. For example, EM21 58-WHT (Harness plug EM21, 58 terminal white connector).

I don't have a sunroof so that eliminated one five wire harness and more interior disassembly. There are also some wires that were not used in my application. I separated and coiled them up for now. Once install is complete and working, I’ll cut them off one wire at a time to prevent possible shorting if two wires were cut at one time. One could also leave them coiled up out of the way. If you do, tape the ends so they can't short out.

NOTE: If you choose to make multiple harnesses like I did, you may run into two or more of the same color wires in one harness. In my case, I'll have two Green wires from two different plugs on the canbus module going to the same vehicle harness connector - but connecting to different pins in that same connector.

To prevent mistakes, I marked one of the Green wires, in my case, IG2 Terminal Control, so it could be connected to the proper terminal 5 in EM21. The other Green wire connects to terminal 10 in EM21. Disclaimer, check your work before connecting and powering up.

canbus_1 by Richard Olszta, on Flickr
canbus_1a by Richard Olszta, on Flickr
canbus_2 by Richard Olszta, on Flickr
canbus_3 by Richard Olszta, on Flickr

I twisted the two canbus wires together as that is what they taught us in canbus school.

canbus_4 by Richard Olszta, on Flickr
canbus_5 by Richard Olszta, on Flickr
canbus_6 by Richard Olszta, on Flickr
canbus_7 by Richard Olszta, on Flickr

See less See more
#2 ·
Neatness counts, makes for a Professional and Reliable Install. I like the "Snake Skin" you used. We use the snake skin and corrugated tubing in our ATR Aircraft......................

#6 ·
ditto... I'd love to see a lot more detailed pics and info on how you bundled things together and how they got installed! I bought one but have not gotten around to installing mine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.