Kia Optima Forums banner

341 - 357 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
We need a simple plug-n-play harness (w/box) that allows us to go back to stock (if desired). It could be an option when purchasing the LEDs. Well worth the "no fuss, no muss" if priced right.
Theres this....if you dont mind paying $25 in shipping!!!! booohttp://www.exledshop.com/d.i.y-parts/connectors/hyundai-kia-oem-tail-lights-connector-6p-male-and-female-set-copy.html

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,418 Posts
Theres this....if you dont mind paying $25 in shipping!!!! booohttp://www.exledshop.com/d.i.y-parts/connectors/hyundai-kia-oem-tail-lights-connector-6p-male-and-female-set-copy.html
Hmm. So if you use this harness and wire it up color-wise as per the other poster's diagram, it's pretty much plug-n-play, correct?

·
01/2015 ROTM, 05/2015 ROTM
2013 Optima 2013 SXL
1,136 Posts
Hmm. So if you use this harness and wire it up color-wise as per the other poster's diagram, it's pretty much plug-n-play, correct?
Plug and play for the outside lights...you just have to tap two wires on the inner trunk light for the jumper wires...(posi-taps make it simple).

·
Registered
224 Posts
So I was finally able to get this done! The diagram Scott gave me after looking at it and looking at mines it was the same diagram except the black wire is actually white. What I had done wrong was I didn't cut the 2 wires from the inner taillights to run the jumper wires, after doing so the module works perfect !! I realized this after watching one of the videos up here where there explaining how to wire it, either way thank you again for the diagram Scott !

·
Premium Member
2011 Kia K5
4,166 Posts
So I was finally able to get this done! The diagram Scott gave me after looking at it and looking at mines it was the same diagram except the black wire is actually white. What I had done wrong was I didn't cut the 2 wires from the inner taillights to run the jumper wires, after doing so the module works perfect !! I realized this after watching one of the videos up here where there explaining how to wire it, either way thank you again for the diagram Scott !
Good! Glad you got it to work.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
21 Posts
Has anyone tried or seen a similar mod but for the non LED tailights for the 2015 Optimas? Would really like to incorporate my blinkers with the rest of the tailights.

·
Registered
2013 Optima Hybird
10 Posts
So I attempted this install with my led bumper lights. Got all the wires cut and ran and hooked up to have all lights hyper flash but 4 ways were correct (wired based of Scott's diagram) Double check all wires still.. Triple check all wires still.... know starting to get frustrated.

Though for a minute wait I have all LED's and no regular bulbs anywhere that I might need resistors. Found a pair of resistors and wired in between yellow (turn +) and black (gnd -) wire on "EX" side of module and all good!

Few notes for people having issues and troubleshooting wires.

when parking lights are on

inner and outer LED's should be dim if anything else than a wire is in wrong place

when turn signal on and headlights or parking lights are on

inner and outer LED's should be bright and flashing if anything else than a wire is in the wrong place

when brake is pushed with parking/headlight/off

inner and outer LED's should be bright if anything else than a wire is in the wrong place.

lights off and brake or turn signal on

inner and outer LED's should be bright if anything else than a wire is in the wrong place.

If hazard's flash normal and you have verified all wiring and function I would try resistors.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
4 Posts
I have a late model 2014 and I believe the connectors are a little different than what has been mentioned here on this thread.

I purchased the led mod and I need some help. I have read the optima forums and I haven't been able to match my set up and connectors to what has been state on the forums. So with that said, I hope you can help me. I have attached pictures of everything I have.

On my drivers side I have two connectors one that comes from the side panel (the input wires I presume).

Drivers Side Input Wire Colors:
Black
Green
Green with a Black Stripe
Black
Blue with an Orange Stripe

I have another line that DOES NOT connect directly into the input wire.

This connector has 3 wires that I believe control the Led part of the light and the brake light that lights up when you touch the break.

The wire colors are:
Pink
Black with Yellow
Green

The two connectors I have mention do not directly plug into each other. THey each plg into the light fixture itself,

See Picture called, "drivers side".
Drivers Side.jpg

On the passenger side (see "passenger side" attachment), same set up, but different color wires,

Drivers side input wire colors:
Red
Black
Brown with black stripe
Black
Green

And the other connector that plugs into the light as well has:
Pink
Black with Yellow
green

Here is passenger side:
passenger side.jpg

The trunk lights See trunk "attachment" (the middle lights that are on the trunk part) have connectors as well and each side has:
Pink
Black with Yellow

Green
Trunk.jpg

My LED mod (picture attached)has 4 wire on the ex side (input side) yellow, white, black, and red)
And on the output (led side), 3 wires, red, white, and black.
Led Mod.jpg

I have attached a picture of what my tail lights look like as well for reference.
What my taillights look like.jpg

Can you help me?

·
Registered
2015 KIA OPTIMA
193 Posts
I have a late model 2014 and I believe the connectors are a little different than what has been mentioned here on this thread.

I purchased the led mod and I need some help. I have read the optima forums and I haven't been able to match my set up and connectors to what has been state on the forums. So with that said, I hope you can help me. I have attached pictures of everything I have.

On my drivers side I have two connectors one that comes from the side panel (the input wires I presume).

Drivers Side Input Wire Colors:
Black
Green
Green with a Black Stripe
Black
Blue with an Orange Stripe

I have another line that DOES NOT connect directly into the input wire.

This connector has 3 wires that I believe control the Led part of the light and the brake light that lights up when you touch the break.

The wire colors are:
Pink
Black with Yellow
Green

The two connectors I have mention do not directly plug into each other. THey each plg into the light fixture itself,

See Picture called, "drivers side".
View attachment 185514

On the passenger side (see "passenger side" attachment), same set up, but different color wires,

Drivers side input wire colors:
Red
Black
Brown with black stripe
Black
Green

And the other connector that plugs into the light as well has:
Pink
Black with Yellow
green

Here is passenger side:
View attachment 185522

The trunk lights See trunk "attachment" (the middle lights that are on the trunk part) have connectors as well and each side has:
Pink
Black with Yellow

Green
View attachment 185530

My LED mod (picture attached)has 4 wire on the ex side (input side) yellow, white, black, and red)
And on the output (led side), 3 wires, red, white, and black.
View attachment 185626

I have attached a picture of what my tail lights look like as well for reference.
View attachment 185538

Can you help me?
Sorry wasn't able to see this earlier. On another post I posted the wires for the 2014-2015
They are:

Left:
Green -----------------------> Brake light
Blue w/ orange stripe -----> Turn signal
GREEN w/ black stripe ----> Parking light
Black -----------------------> Ground

Right:
Green -----------------------> Brake light
Red--------------------------> Turn signal
Brown ----------------------> Parking light
Black -----------------------> Ground

·
Registered
13 KIA optima
9 Posts
Hyper Flash!

Hello,

I noticed in a thread RxDriver posted in during January that he were having trouble eliminating a form of hyper flash with the Diode Dynamics module for the Optima signal mod.

I am experiencing a similar issues, except the only time I get a hyper flash is when the brakes are applied with my signals on. Everything else works fine.

I noticed Yooshaw talked about this in a Cadenza post also, so I am hoping either of you may be able to offer some guidance about how to eliminate the hyper flash in my signals when I apply the brakes.

Any help is really appreciated!

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Links

RxDriver Post
Tailight as Turn Signal Mod

Yooshaw Post
http://www.cadenzaforum.com/forum/el...-turn-mod.html

·
Registered
2015 KIA Optima
850 Posts
Hello,

I noticed in a thread RxDriver posted in during January that he were having trouble eliminating a form of hyper flash with the Diode Dynamics module for the Optima signal mod.

I am experiencing a similar issues, except the only time I get a hyper flash is when the brakes are applied with my signals on. Everything else works fine.

I noticed Yooshaw talked about this in a Cadenza post also, so I am hoping either of you may be able to offer some guidance about how to eliminate the hyper flash in my signals when I apply the brakes.

Any help is really appreciated!

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Links

RxDriver Post
Tailight as Turn Signal Mod

Yooshaw Post
http://www.cadenzaforum.com/forum/el...-turn-mod.html
Here is what RxDriver did to fix his issue, sound like the same issue your having.

Alright. Finally had time to fiddle with this today. This little module is confirmed and it will work with the OEM LED tails. I basically followed the guide of the ExLED Turn signal module install. Instead on this install, all you cut/splice is the brake and turn signal into the input side of the module and then the single wire on the output side will splice into the brake light (inner and outer). I used a 6ohm load resistor and tapped into the turn signal wire with the input wire of the module, then ground it to a taillight bolt on the body.

I would say most people could figure this out in about an hour if you have played with the connectors and lights back there. The hardest part is getting clean connections and wiring that is clean. Let me know if you have questions. For $20, its a pretty quick and easy mod and the company is a great bunch of guys (from Stl :thumbsup:).

·
Registered
2012 SX
1,898 Posts
Hey everyone, time to resurrect this bad boy thread!!! I'm selling the Optima and I gotta fix my passenger side. I just got the car ripped apart and made illustrations of my setup. The passenger side is the only side with issue. As I look at my illustrations below and compare them to the PDF install directions on K5 store and the images in prior posts here, I think I may know where the issue is. Can anyone tell me what the black/blue stripe wire is? The blue stripe is actually more like a dark gray/slate/charcoal color, and working in the trunk I may have completely not noticed there was a stripe on it.
Driver side setup.jpg Passenger side setup.jpg

·
Registered
2012 SX
1,898 Posts
Anyone? Scott? Crystalworks? Been too long, I'm guessing ya'll ain't even around here anymore.

Any idea why everything would all work flawlessly only when the headlights are on?
But then when I turn the headlights off, I lose the passenger side brake lights?

341 - 357 of 357 Posts