Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Optima LX 1.6L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading through the forums for a few days now looking at different people's modifications, style and posts. Seems almost everyone has an SX or SXL (Wish I could've afforded one tbh). I don't see much love for the 1.6T, is there a reason for that I should be concerned about? Reading the reviews online before buying it seems to be the "fuel-efficient" turbo model. In regards to modifications (I'm completely new to this really) are any of the upgrades more/less worth it compared to if I had the 2.0T engine or anything that the 2.0 would be able to handle that the 1.6 would not? Also is there anything Turbo specific I should know/worry about as it's the first turbo car I've ever owned. I've already read about the 5W-30 vs the 5W-40 oil thread and boy do I wish I could get some DRL's or fog lights but it seems more of a headache than it's worth (buying an SX bumper etc).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been reading through the forums for a few days now looking at different people's modifications, style and posts. Seems almost everyone has an SX or SXL (Wish I could've afforded one tbh). I don't see much love for the 1.6T, is there a reason for that I should be concerned about? Reading the reviews online before buying it seems to be the "fuel-efficient" turbo model. In regards to modifications (I'm completely new to this really) are any of the upgrades more/less worth it compared to if I had the 2.0T engine or anything that the 2.0 would be able to handle that the 1.6 would not? Also is there anything Turbo specific I should know/worry about as it's the first turbo car I've ever owned. I've already read about the 5W-30 vs the 5W-40 oil thread and boy do I wish I could get some DRL's or fog lights but it seems more of a headache than it's worth (buying an SX bumper etc).
Welcome to the Kia family!

I haven't done much research on the 1.6 turbo mods, but there is some! Really non for the 2.4 and a ton for the 2.0 turbo.

From when I got my own car, what I understood is the 1.6 turbo is a poor man's 2.0 turbo, no offense.

It's really meant for people getting their first turbo car, but didn't have enough to afford getting the SX or SXL 2.0 turbo.

Having the 1.6turbo will allow you to get familiar with Kia's engine, so if you upgrade, you'll already know what mods to get or what you like and didn't like.

I started out with a 2012 optima SX, worked on that for 3 year's before moving to the optima SXL and knowing immediately what mods I wanted due to having the previous turbo.

Best,

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,293 Posts
The 1.6T has more torque than the 2.4 engine, so that is nice for street driving.

Just think how often do you get your engine up into the higher RPMs where peak horsepower would even come into play? Instead, you get nice fuel economy all the time money in your pocket, and decent horsepower.

maybe you can focus on making the most of the fuel economy, maybe try learning how to maximize the hypermiling or other techniques to avoid wasting fuel.

But my thoughts are that the car is good for cruising, and if you want to get something that is fast off the line, then maybe go for a car with that focus and then get upgrades for that car. Otherwise, stick with cosmetic upgrades, enjoy the engine for what it's good at, and have fun driving.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,736 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums @DIEHARD537 & congrats on getting your 2016 Optima 1.6T.

There are actually lots of guys modding the 1.6T Optima out there.

However, the forums have died down a lot over the past 2 or 3 years.

Here are a couple of great mod options made to fit the 1.6T engine, without any issues.

Intake System: 2016-2020 Kia Optima 1.6T Injen Intake System - K5 Optima Store

Exhaust System: 2016-2020 Kia Optima 1.6T & 2.4L Kinetic Motorsports Exhaust System - K5 Optima Store

Performance Tuning Chip: LAP3 Uncle Chip Performance Tune - K5 Optima Store

Emblems & Badging: Emblems & Badging Product Collection - K5 Optima Store

Hope that helps a little, just let us know if there is something in specific that you are looking for, and we are happy to help.

-David
K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
206 Posts
From when I got my own car, what I understood is the 1.6 turbo is a poor man's 2.0 turbo, no offense.

It's really meant for people getting their first turbo car, but didn't have enough to afford getting the SX or SXL 2.0 turbo.
Meh... we wanted the EX package, it had the exact tech we wanted. I think the only engine option was the 1.6T, and we were OK with that. It's a commuter car, and the wife doesn't race UPS trucks. She likes the gas mileage and the ability to flog it and pass quickly on a 2 lane road. If we wanted a bigger engine, we would have got a higher package. I think a lot of others buy packages, not engines. We paid cash, BTW.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Meh... we wanted the EX package, it had the exact tech we wanted. I think the only engine option was the 1.6T, and we were OK with that. It's a commuter car, and the wife doesn't race UPS trucks. She likes the gas mileage and the ability to flog it and pass quickly on a 2 lane road. If we wanted a bigger engine, we would have got a higher package. I think a lot of others buy packages, not engines. We paid cash, BTW.
Completely understand, like I said it was completely anecdotal on what I found and understood. Most of my research was geared towards the 2.0 because I planned on modding the car before I got it, gives me a sense of satisfaction. I road trip a lot, so going faster on long stretches of empty roads, over longer distance's personally saves me gas and time.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts