Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Optima SX Turbo
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 SX Turbo. I know the dealers always try to get you to buy the 30,000 mile service. Since I can do most of my own service, what should I be doing/checking/replacing etc. on my car?

I respect the opinions of you guys WAY more than the dealer!

Thanks all,

Bill

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,772 Posts
Don't want to look and print from the manual, but I'd start by checking what is required at the 30k mile mark by looking at the owner's manual and go from there. You'll be doing everything better than the stealership, save money, and know the job is done correctly.
I certainly have no faith in them, and the last visit, after engine replacement was a nightmare and further established that in my mind. Can't explain where they round up such a group of misfits and liars, all the way up the line.

Stay away from the Fred Beans dealerships if any in the area.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,772 Posts
Just wanted to add, plugs will be do shortly as they are not 100k mile plugs used in other Kia vehicles, and be cautious as to the plug you purchase.
Also another good idea is the flush the brake fluid every 2 or 3 years as it does make a difference with the crappy Kia calipers.

·
Registered
Optima SX Turbo
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to add, plugs will be do shortly as they are not 100k mile plugs used in other Kia vehicles, and be cautious as to the plug you purchase.
Also another good idea is the flush the brake fluid every 2 or 3 years as it does make a difference with the crappy Kia calipers.
Any suggestions for plugs? In the past I've used Bosch.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
121 Posts
Don’t fall for the 30k mike service crap. It’s a pure money maker. I changed spark plugs at 40k miles( used NGK 1422 - gave better throttle response I think), change oil every 5k, changed trans fluid at 50k with Valvoline max life (drain and refilled 3 times driving 500 miles between each drain), changed coolant at 55k miles which was 5 years for me. All those things I did myself and never had a problem with the car. I plan on doing brake fluid flush in spring. It’s my spare car and sits most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Optima SX Turbo
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don’t fall for the 30k mike service crap. It’s a pure money maker. I changed spark plugs at 40k miles( used NGK 1422 - gave better throttle response I think), change oil every 5k, changed trans fluid at 50k with Valvoline max life (drain and refilled 3 times driving 500 miles between each drain), changed coolant at 55k miles which was 5 years for me. All those things I did myself and never had a problem with the car. I plan on doing brake fluid flush in spring. It’s my spare car and sits most of the time.

Just curious - why would you drain and refill 3 times tranny fluid?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
121 Posts
Just curious - why would you drain and refill 3 times tranny fluid?
You can’t get all the oil out on a single drain. Still about half left in torque converter. So the drain and refilled 3 times gets it close to a complete fluid change.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,772 Posts
Any suggestions for plugs? In the past I've used Bosch.
Stay away from the Bosch plugs. Personally I use Denso (22) as NGK makes no aftermarket plug for the 2.0T. People use the 1422 that are for Mitsubishi and are not listed for the Kia/Hyundai 2.0T.
After two different Denso plug heat ranges, the factory plugs are now NGK 18849-09085 (SILZKR8E9G) , can't be purchased aftermarket, but can be had on ebay, etc @ $50/set.

The valvoline ATF is fine, but just a drain and refill would be sufficient, especially when done on a routine basis. Just remember that ATF is dyed red to distinguish it from other fluids and will darken over time and the dark fluid is no indication that the fliuid has failed.

·
Registered
2013 Optima 2013 Kia Optima SXL
12 Posts
2017 SX Turbo. I know the dealers always try to get you to buy the 30,000 mile service. Since I can do most of my own service, what should I be doing/checking/replacing etc. on my car?

I respect the opinions of you guys WAY more than the dealer!

Thanks all,

Bill
Hi Bill,

Take caution. If you do your own work and need warranty covered repairs at some point, the dealership can and probably will refuse to cover it...depends on the dealership though.

·
Registered
Optima SX Turbo
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Bill,

Take caution. If you do your own work and need warranty covered repairs at some point, the dealership can and probably will refuse to cover it...depends on the dealership though.
Thanks! I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if there is a list of things that you HAVE to do to stay within the warranty requirements? I get my oil changed by an outside company, but I always keep receipts.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,772 Posts
Receipts are enough as they can't deny coverage.
We've all heard of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act............. I think.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,024 Posts
"Checking" doesn't always mean or lead to "need to replace"; there's no special tool or training needed to do simple stuff like checking brake pads, fuel filler cap, or most hoses. No need to add fuel additive (another 30K mile service maintenance item) if you regularly fill up with Top-Tier gasoline. In the owner's manual you'll see that most of the items in the 30K mile maintenance list are "Inspect..."--the only things that are listed as "Replace" are the HVAC air filter, air cleaner filter, engine oil and filter, along with tire rotation. Just make sure you have receipts for the parts/fluids you purchased--very important since otherwise you'd have a hard time proving that you gave some sort of semblence that you actually did stuff like change the oil, along with a keeping a simple log noting the date that you performed the service (e.g., oil change).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts