Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Passenger side on dash where airbag is put in just appeared perfect straight cut like a razor cut appeared. I have a 2016 optima.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No not sun damage it is the outline of the airbag. Looks like someone cut it with a razor blade it's so straight. The dash is in great condition. This is where the airbag is on passenger side.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
596 Posts
There is probably a Repair Kit at a parts store - OR- your/some Dealer will know someone who can fix this. One used a small sprayer (like I see on cable TV for women's makeup application) to fix an arm slit in a leather chair shipped from NC. Cost vs irritation looking at it is only issue.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
596 Posts
More "Swag" method here .... I assumed in my Post #5 that the issue was Just cosmetic -- BUT I'd like to know IF some kind of in-dash pressure is, over the years, stressing what would have to be a weak-border air-bag containment space that makes it Split at a seam. (ie) Can an air-bag be "crammed" into a too-small dash space so that outward tension exists from day 1?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, my 2016 optima just did the same thing. Complete straight cut last week- now today I can see what appears as the outline of the airbag! This is very annoying. Is there any type of recall that anyone knows of??

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,265 Posts
Would be interesting to hear where folks that have this issue live and temperatures in the area the past month. I expect there is a seam so place that would break when the airbag deploys. The heat might be causing this to show up. I live in Arizona now and having tinted windows and using a sunshade when parked outside is a must, especially as there aren’t many trees or covered parking you could use to hide from the sun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The temperature hasn’t been past 90 degrees yet. I also have tinted windows and use a window shield 99.9 percent of the time. I also crack my windows at work which is where I’m at during the heat of the day! I’d say 80% of the time I park underneath the trees which makes the biggest difference. This is why it’s so strange to me that this has happened.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
One of our cars is a 2004 Acura TL that has the reputation for having the cheaply made dash crack, usually starts around the air bag, however, keeping ours lubricated and out of the sun as much as possible, no cracks yet.
Example:

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
171 Posts
Finally! Someone posted a picture!! Thank you.

This 100% is caused by heat/cooling. The plastic/whatever material has shrank/expanded/dried etc due to thermal expansion and has caused this to split.

There isn't much to be done. It's a tale as old as time, when you get in and crank the Ac it caused the air above the plastic to start cooling. Meanwhile the inside of the dash and all components are still 90° and this causes an expansion/contraction. Same thing in the winter. The car gets cold then you blow heat across it.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
Finally! Someone posted a picture!! Thank you.

This 100% is caused by heat/cooling. The plastic/whatever material has shrank/expanded/dried etc due to thermal expansion and has caused this to split.

There isn't much to be done. It's a tale as old as time, when you get in and crank the Ac it caused the air above the plastic to start cooling. Meanwhile the inside of the dash and all components are still 90° and this causes an expansion/contraction. Same thing in the winter. The car gets cold then you blow heat across it.
If it was heat/cooling cycles, wouldn't this happen to everyone's vehicle? I just get a slight sense this is blaming the victim, when instead the problem is a faulty dash or some other flaw in that particular dash, otherwise it would be more widespread if it was just heat/cooling because I heat/cool my dash all the time and don't have this issue?

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
171 Posts
If it was heat/cooling cycles, wouldn't this happen to everyone's vehicle? I just get a slight sense this is blaming the victim, when instead the problem is a faulty dash or some other flaw in that particular dash, otherwise it would be more widespread if it was just heat/cooling because I heat/cool my dash all the time and don't have this issue?
2016 was the change of a model year, likely different materials between your 12 and their 16s. If these are showing up now, it's likely going to happen to the 17s next year etc. Every one won't have the issue, just have to wait and see. The airbags will be the 1st place due to being thinner and ment to break when blown.

I'm not trying to say it's the users fault, it's a manufacturers fault. But I would find it hard to believe they will do anything unless it becomes a huge safety issue.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,265 Posts
I think that photo isn’t from an Optima, right? That’s for the Acura, correct?

This sort of thing happens over time to all vehicles, some manufactures do better than other with this and I think some people will experience this and some don’t. However, over time, I think they will all fail with age. Just sucks when it isn’t really that old.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts