Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SX-T SWP, 2012 EX, Spicy Red
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
That and a lot more. I added an 800 w rms Kicker Sub amp, Rockford Fosgate 2x12 Subs (Single voice coil)
An Alipine IlX-650 head unit and added the Alpine KTA-450 piggyback high power door speaker amp (50 w x 4 RMS). It is a cute, and powerful little amp that installs right behind the head unit. But I didn't read the box carefully enough. I had to add the Sirius Tuner, an all new backup camera, (Kia's Connection to the backup camera is proprietary)??? Why?

Then I bought Kenwood Excelon L and R dash speakers, (40w RMS) ( and I have a question. I am using the head unit (18w rms x 4) to power the L and R dash speakers. What kind of center dash 4" speaker is in there, amd how many OHMs is it? You guys with this center dash mid woofer speaker is kind of an enigma. Should I power it with the head unit and see if it farts? Leave it unpowered? What have you guys done? What about the 8" factory sub? Leave it unpowered? take it out to allow more subwoofer flow into the passenger compartment? My installer is a pro but I hate unused stuff in my car that could make the stereo amazing.....or ruin it. LOL

I found a lot of crap 10 ohm cheap paper stuff in both my cars....and replacing the head unit was the only way to get proper, 4 ohm power to the 4 door speakers. I replaced those 4, 10 ohm paper junk stock speakers with: 4 Kicker 2 way 100w RMS 6 3/4" monsters....which are rated at 300w max each...but the 100 watt RMS power each at 4 ohms is why I bought them. They should handle 50 watts RMS each nicely and w/o strain.

I replaced the "infinity w/o Navigation 4.2" touchscreen" that is asinine (it has a lot of nice features but that tiny little screen just pissed me off.) It has an internal hard drive Juke box, Microsoft operating system, and then they give you a micro screen that even in 2011 was small??? An Infinity system with a 4" touchscreen in a 2015 model year car that is LOADED? Well, I got a killer deal on the car, and still have my Spicy red EX. I love the bodystyle. The 2015 was also the last year of the 274 HP turbo, with 269 lb ft. I am going to try to squeeze 20 more HP out of the turbo....but will it, ummm explode??? I think I can get 15 hp from the intake and exhaust (especially the exhaust). $980 Magnaflow cat back with 4 exhaust tips. I drove it with the stock intake....it was sublime. What a nice sound from a Kia 2.0T. I hope the intake noise does not drive me nuts, because I will re-install the stock intake with just the K&N drop in if I don't like the intake noise....especially if is drones at low power cruising, like 55 on the highway. Well, here I am droning on and on. I got new brakes, and added MGP Caliper Covers, red with the silver "K" badge and "bolts" which my bodyshop guy is going to add some depth to the "screws". I cant wait to add my pics of it, and to get her home.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get the lap3 tune or jb4 tune. You'll squeeze out an extra 50hp.
I am skeptical. HOW does it make 50 hp? How much is the tuner and does it include like a digital readout so I can add a little boost, or is it all automatic?

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,486 Posts
NICE work on your ride! Its fun when you make it your own. Cant wait to see more pictures. And no, you can easily get an extra 15 hp with zero issues. There are several of us in the upper 300 range and low 400 range for whp. I'd suggest a LAP3 tune (np knowledge of the jb4). But if you are simply looking for bolt on power like many users do, the midpipe and intercooler upgrades are the two best for our cars. There's even threads with dyno results of various upgrades if you got a moment to use search. Have fun and post pictures!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get the lap3 tune or jb4 tune. You'll squeeze out an extra 50hp.
Oh yeah. I am. But I have to buy new plugs (30x4 =$120 plus the chip $589, and now I need a dual inlet catch can ($269). So all of that together is $980 bucks). I have already spent $3,000 on paint, Alpine system/Rockford Fosgate subs (2 ohm), Kicker 800w 1 ohm monoblock (gonna run the Kicker in 2 ohm mode, as the subs can handle 500 watts at 2 ohms. So, in 2 ohm mode, the y match up well. Kicker door speakers, are powered by "cute": Alpine Piggyback 50w RMS X4 full range amp for the door speakers... powering all three dash speakers with the Alpine head unit, which is 18 watts RMS x 4 for 2 Kenwood Excelon left and right dash speakers (40 watts rms power handling), and the last rear channel can run the center speaker on the dash 4" mid sub in the middle of the dash. My installer says its theraputic. There are so many adapters and wiring harnesses and Sirius Tuner, plus wiring in a new rear view camera (HD), and then the steering wheel controls for volume, source, and track. I used to install car stereo. I would not take this build on. Oh, not to mention Magnaflow exhaust and HPS short ram intake with heat shield. Darn. It's like Alice in Wonderland. Once you go down the rabbit hole its hard to STOP BUYING STUFF!!

So: as soon as I hear from David I am buying the lap3 tune and all the stuff that keep my engine safe. If it blows a head gasket or the turbo explodes.....it is my hobby. My loved ones are happy it is not drugs or womanizing. I just love cars and speed...and I thimk the Optima is a bad a**, beautiful sedan. I just bought it and already paid it down $3000. I am trying like crazy to work from home....but I end up looking at car parts while I work. Addicted to cars and SPEED!!!! (not the drug- running my cars FAST).

I appreciate the support. I am gonna check now for emails about checkout. Pictures are to follow.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NICE work on your ride! Its fun when you make it your own. Cant wait to see more pictures. And no, you can easily get an extra 15 hp with zero issues. There are several of us in the upper 300 range and low 400 range for whp. I'd suggest a LAP3 tune (np knowledge of the jb4). But if you are simply looking for bolt on power like many users do, the midpipe and intercooler upgrades are the two best for our cars. There's even threads with dyno results of various upgrades if you got a moment to use search. Have fun and post pictures!
Does the new "mid pipe" or "down pipe" include a high flow catalytic converter? My car still has to pass emissions. Please let me know. Mid 300's, like 340 or so HP is so worth $900 bucks for the Lap3 tune.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts