Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've noticed many forums and videos on the Kia stinger with burger Motorsports jb4 destroying the streets. But us optima owners haven't gotten much love unless it's talking about lap3 tunes. Ive had jb4 on other cars and loved it but not on the optima. I guess I will be one first to have jb4 on a optima since no one has talked about it. Can't wait to see the results!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
13 Posts
I've been looking the past few weeks and decided a 2013 Optima SX is in my near future. Haven't purchased yet, but going to check one out tomorrow (and pretty sure I'll purchase). Anyway, a buddy of mine lives in a different financial realm than I do, and he bought a 2018 (or 2017) Infiniti Q50 about a year ago and he got the JB4 tuner. Aboslutely loves it! Runs a 70/30 mix (I think) of 93 octane and E85. The car was already impressive...the tuner made it rediculous.

Anyway, he is one of the reasons I'm looking at the 2013 Optima SX. As soon as he knew I was considering it he said this MUST be my first mod. Not sure if I'll pull the trigger immediately, but hopefully in the not too distant future. Good luck with the mod...hoping you post pics, videos, updates, etc.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
13 Posts
I feel kind of dumb, but there is no JB4 tuner available for 2011-2015 Optimas. I didn't realize that but their list of applications is for 2011+ Hyundai Sonata 2.0t...not Optimas. I emailed them to clarify and they confirmed, nothing for the 2011-2015 Optima. Not sure what year you've got, but I'm pretty disappointed. Guess I'll start looking at other tuners.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,215 Posts
I feel kind of dumb, but there is no JB4 tuner available for 2011-2015 Optimas. I didn't realize that but their list of applications is for 2011+ Hyundai Sonata 2.0t...not Optimas. I emailed them to clarify and they confirmed, nothing for the 2011-2015 Optima. Not sure what year you've got, but I'm pretty disappointed. Guess I'll start looking at other tuners.
Please let us know if we can help. We have the LAP3 Uncle Chip Performance Tune, as well as the RaceChip.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
13 Posts
Just an FYI, I've got confirmation from Payam Harouni and Terry Burger, at Burger Motor Sports, that the Kia/Hyundai JB4 will work for my 2013 Optima SX! I've ordered and it is on the way! The 2.0t engine we have is basically identical to the Sonata's so if you're looking for it but your car isn't listed (2011-2015 Optima 2.0t's aren't listed on their website), get ahold of one of these guys and they should be able to verify. They needed to me to send in pics of my MAP sensors to verify they would work. I'll update once received and installed.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
13 Posts
I’ll finally be installing the JB4 tuner on my 2013 Optima SX tomorrow! Can’t wait! I’ll be sure to provide some updates once done.

Does anyone know details on HP gain expectations for JB4 on our 2.0L Optimas? Burger Motorsports website says gains up to 100 hp but it doesn’t specify which car. And this tuner can be used on 2.0 and 3.0L turbos in Optimas, Sonatas, Genesis, Stinger, etc. i’m sure the 100 hp gains are referring to the 3.0L turbos, just wondering what to expect on ours.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,437 Posts
I’ll finally be installing the JB4 tuner on my 2013 Optima SX tomorrow! Can’t wait! I’ll be sure to provide some updates once done.

Does anyone know details on HP gain expectations for JB4 on our 2.0L Optimas? Burger Motorsports website says gains up to 100 hp but it doesn’t specify which car. And this tuner can be used on 2.0 and 3.0L turbos in Optimas, Sonatas, Genesis, Stinger, etc. i’m sure the 100 hp gains are referring to the 3.0L turbos, just wondering what to expect on ours.
Good luck. Post pictures. The Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima are sister vehicles and share most parts. Their engines and transmissions are identical, both built in the same plant in Alabama. Best way to see what the JB4 does for your car is to find a local speed shop with a dyno. And then post some results here. Have fun!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
13 Posts
WOW! Installed and ridiculous! Pics to come...very easy install. Took me and a buddy less than an hour. Pics to come.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
13 Posts
Ok this is my first time posting a "How to" with pictures, so hopefully it turns out ok. Let me know if you have questions or need other pics.

This is the install for a JB4 tuner, by Burger Motorsports (BMS), on my 2013 Kia Optima SX. BMS is widely known as an industry leaders for BMW turbo tuners, but they cover many other cars as well. They have an incredible reputation for remarkable quality and outstanding tech support and customer service. I highly suggest you check them out. As of now, their website does not specifically state that this tuner supports the 2011-2015 Optimas, but it does in fact support them. I confirmed with the owner (yes, the owner is involved with his customers) that this would work on my car before I purchased.

This is the same tuner used in many Kia and Hyundai cars to include Optima, Forte, Stinger, Sonata, and others. It is plug and play...it will detect the type of engine and adjust accordingly. It's very easy to get started, and then there are many options to learn and tweak along the way. You can submit data logs and they will provide personalized feedback based on what they see from your specific car. Seriously, check these guys out at:
https://www.burgertuning.com/collections/kia-hyundai/products/kia-stinger-jb4

Ok, here's the install:

As stated, this tuner works in a bunch of cars, and my specific car was not listed. The install instructions that came with it (and the ones online) are not a direct correlation to my car...but they are pretty similar.

First, pop the hood, lock the doors, and put your key fob far enough away that it will not "wake up" the car...wait 5 minutes. If you get the wireless Bluetooth module (highly recommend), you will need to open the billet case of the JB4 module (4 allen screws). Instructions to connect are included, but it's pretty simple. There are two wires...one is a serial port connection. The other is just a wire...the end should be pre-stripped and the kit comes with an easy splice connector. Connect the serial port on one end, then you run the other wire through the grommet on the opposite end of the JB4 module from the serial connector and splice it to either of the red wires in that wire bundle. Put the billet case back together.

This unit also has fuel control wires coming out of the JB4 unit, but using them is optional. Since we didn't know where or how to connect them, or whether or not I would use those features, we wrapped them up and stowed them without connecting for now.

Install instructions say you need to connect to a MAP sensor and a TMAP sensor. My car (I assume most or all of our Optimas) does not have a TMAP, we have two (2) MAP sensors. See the picture for locations of the MAP sensors. One is located on the intake manifold (easily visible), the other is under the intake duct.

MAP Sensor Locations.jpg

Remove the two bolts at the front of the intake duct and that piece easily slips off of the air cleaner box to give good visibility and easy access to the other MAP sensor (as shown below.)

MAP Sensors Intake duct removed.jpg

A closer look...

MAP Sensor under intake duct.jpg

There is a wire that plugs into your OBD II port under your dash...this is behind the fuse panel near the driver's left knee. In the pic below you see the plug installed...the wire is running to the right and then toward the firewall.

OBD II Plug.jpg

Under the dash, the wire will need to pass through the firewall and into the engine bay. Instructions are to send the wire through around the edge of the grommet (between the grommet and the metal of the firewall.) Initially that didn't seem like a great idea to me, but that is their instructions and I figure if there were regular problems they would change it. Also, a friend has a JB4 on is Infinity Q50...I helped him install that and we did it the exact same way over a year ago and he's had no issues. Just to be on the safe side and give me a little warm fuzzy, we wrapped the wire with electrical tape to provide just a bid more shielding where it is in contact with metal between the grommet and the firewall. I've added some notes to the pic below to explain the area we're looking at...the camera was resting just above the e-brake. Also, I've drawn a red line to shadow the wire so you can hopefully see it a little better. The top arrow is pointing at where the wire passes through the firewall on the outside of the grommet.

Under dash gromet.jpg

Here is a shot from the engine bay side showing where that wire comes through. The arrow is pointing at the wire, and again a red line shadowing the wire itself.

Engine bay gromet.jpg

Here is another picture of the engine bay from a little further back showing where the wire from the OBD II plug is routed through the firewall, into the engine bay, then between the air cleaner box on the left and the ECU on the right.

Enging bay wire routing.jpg

The next pic shows a closer view of where I stowed the JB4 module (circled) on the outboard side of the battery. The wiring is facing toward the driver and routed as shown with red lines. You can also see a smaller black rectangle on the right side of the JB4. It has a larger grey wire and a smaller blue wire coming out of it. This is the Bluetooth module...larger grey wire has the serial port and is going into one end of the JB4; smaller blue wire is the single wire going in through the grommet on the other end of the JB4 and spliced into a red wire on that end. Instructions state the Bluetooth module should be facing the passenger compartment and it should not be in direct contact with the billet case of the JB4, or any other metal. So we used puffy two sided tape to mount it to the JB4. This secures it, while ensuring it will not touch the metal. Then as you can see, there are shielded wire bundles on the other side that will also keep it from moving or touching any metal on the car.

JB4 Location and wire routing.jpg

I laid out all the connectors and wires before connecting anything...basically just a dry run, to make sure I knew where the tuner would be, where my stowing/mounting options were, and to figure out how the wires would need to be routed. It's not a really attractive or flashy install...it's just not obvious when looking at the engine bay. Anyway, once the layout was established, I routed everything accordingly and hooked up connectors. The connections for the MAP sensors were a little vague since the instructions were referencing a different car and talking about a MAP and TMAP sensor, instead of two MAP sensors, but we eventually came to the conclusion the connector with brown leads goes to the MAP sensor on the intake manifold, and the connector with the rainbow leads goes to the MAP sensor under the intake duct. Here is a final pic indicating locations and routing of all components.

Engine Bay all routing 1.jpg

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
741 Posts
Great write up thanks. What parameters are you playing around with? How much psi over stock have you set it to? What are your impressions?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
13 Posts
Great write up thanks. What parameters are you playing around with? How much psi over stock have you set it to? What are your impressions?
It comes preset with many different maps based on whether or not your car is heavily modded or what type of fuel you’re using. I’m running map 5 which is up to 7 psi over stock, using a fuel mixture of about 30% E85 and 70% 91 octane. Map 6 is a user adjustable map but I don’t know enough about all of it yet to know how to use that in a way that would be beneficial. However, I have seen on their forums where they give feedback based on data logs that they mentioned in a post that “we may need to build you a custom map.” I assume they would do that using map 6. Also, Map 0 disables the tuner and runs stock, and Map 4 is “Valet map” which runs boost around half of stock.
My impression is that I’m very impressed! The difference is immediately noticeable. When I’m going to do a pull, I turn off ECO mode and ESP to make sure the power isn’t being limited by safety features. I have a hard time not breaking rubber loose in 1st and 2nd gear. My tires aren’t in the greatest shape, but I’ve never had traction issues. It just keeps pulling and keeps accelerating hard even at 100+.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts