Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if this will help explain a few things but here is what I learned about a Kia Optima SX 2.0 gas and the axles. Sur-Trak makes the front left axle but NOT the front right. IF you look at rockauto, Oreilly, CarID you name it they will list a Sur-Trak HY-8338 as the front right. All of them list the sur-track front right with this number. But if you call Sur-trak they will tell you they do NOT make a front right, that the HY-8338 is for another vehicle. Fun Fact! IF you grind down the outer hub of the axle, it will fit and work but the ABS sensor toner ring is not where it should be and you get intermittent ABS errors. Yeah. . I made the wrong axle fit on this car before I finally snapped and started chewing some ass. What was discovered is a huge parts id issue and everyone is selling the wrong axle. The crazy thing is. . .I know this axle WAY too well right now and this link that someone posted (see below) looks like the front right axle for this car!!!!

I have not yet considered risking the chance I am wrong as I just got done threatening some parts geek idiot manager with legal action for listing the wrong part. But after that I noticed that all the distributors are listing the same part wrong. I have notified Sur-Track management about this issue but in the end. . . I am simply looking for the correct part. Has anyone found it yet?????

·
Registered
34 Posts
So i finally was able to replace my passenger side cv axle today (diy) and just wanted to hopefully help anyone with a pre 5/13 2013 optima sxl. As @mrneg9 stated about the optima being similar to the sonata, i wanted to confirm that passenger side will indeed look like the B14451N from autozone and most likely work as someone also stated it WILL NOT have the small sleeve in the middle of the rod like the old one. I ordered the part from somewhere else but, yes it is a female connector on the inner joint and male on outter. I was very skeptical because all videos i found were only of the driver side. Also for parts:

-32mm for the axle nut to hub
-rent the cv axle seperator which looks like this:
from any parts store (keep in mind when mounting to hub studs to ensure its straight so as not to strip them like i did to 2 of mine)
-and you will need either the fork seperator or just a pry bar

Everything else should be youtube searchable.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts