Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2011 SX. 174000 miles on it. Had to replace the shocks/struts and since there are no good normal options I went with the Street Plus Coilovers. (Not happy with them but I'll figure what the **** I'm gonna do with that soon). But now my car is showing signs that I need to replace the driver side CV axle and at these miles if I do one I figure I should do both. Am I right that my only option is KIA OEM parts that are hella expensive?

For bonus points, once I get these two things sorted out, what else should I be doing/replacing to keep this car running good from a suspension side. Side note the engine and the turbo have both been replaced around the 130,000 mark so those are new(er).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you find a replacement option? Have a 2013 Kia Optima SXL and the driver side boot is torn. The part shows discontinued. Any suggestions of ANY alternative part for prior May 2013 optima sxl axle?????

49500-2C700

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,305 Posts
When my ('11 EX-T) inner cv joint, or actually boot sprung a leak last year on the way to Florida, no aftermarket axles available only new (dealer) or used if one can be found. I purchased a new one and did an install down there.
Weirdest, damaged boot I've ever seen where one of ribs was twisted slightly and that's where the hole erupted.
Just keep an eye on hub bearings f&r and depending on location, brake calibers and sliders.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,305 Posts
Did you find a replacement option? Have a 2013 Kia Optima SXL and the driver side boot is torn. The part shows discontinued. Any suggestions of ANY alternative part for prior May 2013 optima sxl axle?????

49500-2C700
Checked a Kia site and found the following, but when one looks up info by the part number........nothing??????????
45901-2T750 Right
45900-2T700 Left

There are companies that "rebuild" half-shafts so maybe one may be able to do the job, but the only problem would be downtime as it would take time to remove, ship, rebuild, ship back.

In the past, when I've noticed a boot start to split, I've split the axle and joints, replaced just the boot(s), cleaned and greased the joints and installed, but they only offer an inner boot. When I was on vacation in FL when the inner went, I didn't have the tools nor the time to do just the boot, but brought the "old" axle home and will replace just the inner boot if I can find one at a reasonable cost. Kia doesn't even have an outer boot available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kia quoted me 900$ to do it. I went on a mission to just find the part on Friday. After five hours of calling everyone (all the local places like AutoZone, O'Reilly, Napa, and all the online like RockAuto, Parts Geek, CarID, etc), I gave up. I called Kia back. The KIA DEALERSHIP told me they don't really know what part to use so they are going to order the part for the after 05/2013 build, see if it works. If I want to order the part they think might fit, I can for 388$. But they will not guarantee the part nor will I be able to return the part if it doesn't fit. I can't believe there is NO alternative part suggestion from Kia Corporate. I have run into this a few times with my SXL before. The suspension was the same way. I do love my car but they seemed to make a number of changes mid year 2013 on the SXL. This will be a pain in the a$$ to change, but I changed out my truck and GTIs before so I know I can do this too. The price dealer only is ridiculous, but I would gladly pay it at this point than the alternative of putting an eBay random six year old hope for the best part.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,305 Posts
I bought the new r/s axle off Ebay for @ $220 shipped, might want to check. As I was on vacation, a shop did the job and only took may 1/2 hour, but I had the shaft out of the knuckle to replace the hub bearing just a few months prior, so he had it easy, just remove it from the intermediate shaft.

I did run into the problem of getting both l & r axles out of the hub though and had to use a bigtime puller, other than that no problem, but be cautious of the abs sensor, and unbolt the lower ball joint from the arm so you don't need to hassle with breaking it loose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The issue I am having with eBay is it is just listed as generically fitting the 2013 sxl. It seems anything that will fit an after 05/2013 kia sxl 2013s will not fit? I need a pre 05/2013 axle. Maybe I will go to a cv axle rebuild place here in Houston. I really don't understand how kia has no axle alternative for the car.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,305 Posts
Checking the OEM parts 49500-2T700 $534/$356:
Left CV Joint Left side Optima Korean Built 2.0
Application
'11 EX, SX 2.0L
'12 EX, SX 2.0L
'13 EX, SX, SXL 2.0L
'14 Limited, SX Tirbo, SXL Turbo 2.0L
'15 Limited, SX Turbo, SXL Turbo 2.0L

There's quite a few listed on ebay, guaranteed fitment with the OEM part number listed, so????????

·
Registered
13 Posts
I guess I should take the gamble. If it doesn't work, I can just relist it on eBay? Better than the alternative. THANK YOU!!!!!!!! Turbonut, you are the best!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just wanted to come back an say thank you Turbonut!!!!!! Changed out my CV Joints. Those parts worked for an SXL 2013 Optima.

Now I had a new noise and issue with my spring turning on the driver side just a tiny bit when I turn the wheel. It causes a groan in the car, but you can't hear it from outside the car. Changed the strut mount. The strut mount that was replaced last year when I changed out my shocks and stuts bearings were falling out as it was taken off (was a rock auto park- replaced with Monroe strut mount as could get next day, Rock Auto sending their replacement I will keep as a backup I guess). Going to see about ordering a new set of springs as I didn't change those out. I hit something on the driver side and it seems to have ripped and tore up everything on that side :( The plastic underneath was hanging. The cv axle ripped. The grinding noise from what I thought was the strut mount (I think it was f'd as it fell apart when took off). And now maybe the spring?? I can't find the damage on the spring, but it is all I can come up with as to why the spring is giving just a little bit when I turn the wheel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is like jerky. Like the spring sort of gives just a tiny bit, every few mm of turning of the entire thing, it jerks a bit, and continues the turn for a little bit, and does the jerk thing again. The noise is sort of like a binding spring. i am going to try ordering a new spring. I love this Kia, but man... make a bright colored Telluride soone Kia, I need a new vehicle!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will try to take a picture of the passenger and compare it to the driver side. Will report back. I am super happy your advice on the axles worked!!! That saved me like 700$

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,305 Posts
Checked out the parts and the lower insulator does have a block were the spring end is to be located and on the top there is an upper insulator, then what they call a bearing but looks like just a rubber cupped disc, the the mount. Just inspect them all. They should turn easily, maybe a problem with the mount.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wanted to jump on here and make it easier for some one than the **** I went through to find a cv axle from you local parts store. I was working on a 2013 kia optima sxl 2.0 turbo. Need a drivers side cv axle. 4 of my local auto stores told me dealer only. Here you go. Auto zone. 2013 Hyundai Sonata se 2.0 turbo. Drivers side Part #:14435N Passenger side Part #:B14451N $120 Fits the kia perfect. Just doesn't have the rubber dampening piece on it which makes no difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wanted to jump on here and make it easier for some one than the **** I went through to find a cv axle from you local parts store. I was working on a 2013 kia optima sxl 2.0 turbo. Need a drivers side cv axle. 4 of my local auto stores told me dealer only. Here you go. Auto zone. 2013 Hyundai Sonata se 2.0 turbo. Drivers side Part #:14435N Passenger side Part #:B14451N $120 Fits the kia perfect. Just doesn't have the rubber dampening piece on it which makes no difference.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So I have a 2011 SX. 174000 miles on it. Had to replace the shocks/struts and since there are no good normal options I went with the Street Plus Coilovers. (Not happy with them but I'll figure what the **** I'm reverse image search email checker port checker gonna do with that soon). But now my car is showing signs that I need to replace the driver side CV axle and at these miles if I do one I figure I should do both. Am I right that my only option is KIA OEM parts that are hella expensive?

For bonus points, once I get these two things sorted out, what else should I be doing/replacing to keep this car running good from a suspension side. Side note the engine and the turbo have both been replaced around the 130,000 mark so those are new(er).
Weirdest, damaged boot I've ever seen where one of ribs was twisted slightly and that's where the hole erupted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts