Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Where’s the Full Digital Cluster, Remote parking, lane change cameras??? The sonata has them why not the Optima.

If I’m being honest I expected the new Optima (K5) to have more kit than the Sonata (just like the previous generations). No point in choosing the Optima over the Sonata now if you’re going for features but if your going for the looks the K5 blows the Sonata out of the water.

They remove auto folding mirrors, heated rear seats but decide to bring in an Auto shut off feature..dumbest move I’ve ever witnessed. I don’t think the EX even has a power passenger seat anymore...really losing that bang for the buck. I’m kind of disappointed with this generation.
EX does have 10 way power driver's seat with optional 10 way power passenger's seat which is mostly unheard of in this class. That's about the only thing the K5 has over the Sonata.

Some of the other things in the Sonata's favor are color HUD, surround view monitor, real leather seating, ambient lighting, full LED taillights, front and rear parking sensors, laminated windshield and front windows, rain sensing wipers, and even a larger gas tank. Also free maintenance for 3 years or 36,000 miles.

Kia's new slogan is give it everything. Except you know...features. They even said that's why they changed the name because it was such an improvement. Uh huh.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
578 Posts
Kia's color options make me want to hurt someone. What in the heck is the logic in LIMITING the color choices for up-line trims? My wife has run into the same thing with Souls. The top-of-the-line trim level actually has FEWER color choices than the downmarket ones. Huh?

Seems like to me the folks forking over the most dough should not only have their choice of all the available colors, but should also have at least one additional color choice exclusive to the top trim level. NOT the other way around!

That dark grey color on the 2021 K5 would look great with glossy black wheels on the GT., but nope. Can't have it.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
578 Posts
Sorry, don't know why my image posted twice. I can't edit the post and remove it for some reason. ?

EDIT: Oops. Found it. lol.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
578 Posts
By the way, I went and looked at a couple of K5s today. They look a little different 'in the flesh' than in pictures, but overall they look good to me.

I love the new grille/front end treatment, and I hope that migrates over to the Stinger. The wheels on the non-GT look great to me. I haven't seen the GT wheels in person, but I do like these. My only negative comment is that a side view of the K5 makes it look a little bit 'bloated' in the rear one-third of the body. Here the Stinger does a better job because it's a little lower and sleeker. But otherwise, the K5 is going to be mistaken for a Stinger a lot in the future.

Nice-looking car, and I think Kia has knocked it out of the park again.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
EX does have 10 way power driver's seat with optional 10 way power passenger's seat which is mostly unheard of in this class. That's about the only thing the K5 has over the Sonata.

Some of the other things in the Sonata's favor are color HUD, surround view monitor, real leather seating, ambient lighting, full LED taillights, front and rear parking sensors, laminated windshield and front windows, rain sensing wipers, and even a larger gas tank. Also free maintenance for 3 years or 36,000 miles.

Kia's new slogan is give it everything. Except you know...features. They even said that's why they changed the name because it was such an improvement. Uh huh.
Thanks for clarifying, I saw a K5 EX and it didn’t have the power passenger seat.

I just feel as if the only thing the new K5 has to offer over the Sonata is looks.

There was totally nothing wrong with the Optima nameplate so how that is qualified as an “improvement” is beyond me lol.

Looks like we won’t be upgrading to K5 anytime soon.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Kia's color options make me want to hurt someone. What in the heck is the logic in LIMITING the color choices for up-line trims? My wife has run into the same thing with Souls. The top-of-the-line trim level actually has FEWER color choices than the downmarket ones. Huh?

Seems like to me the folks forking over the most dough should not only have their choice of all the available colors, but should also have at least one additional color choice exclusive to the top trim level. NOT the other way around!
KIA has been doing that dumb crap with the colors since 14’ MY for the Optima, the SX-L couldn’t be had in Remington Red meanwhile the rest of the line up was available with it. You could only get an SXL in Black, White or Titanium Silver which it would’ve looked amazing in all of the colors. It stupid to limit the colors for the top trims...They did the same thing with interior colors. You could only get black interior on the SX and SX Turbo models.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can only get the Bose stereo in the EX or the GT trims? I can't get AWD with either of those trims? Whose DUMB decision was that?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thanks for clarifying, I saw a K5 EX and it didn’t have the power passenger seat.

I just feel as if the only thing the new K5 has to offer over the Sonata is looks.

There was totally nothing wrong with the Optima nameplate so how that is qualified as an “improvement” is beyond me lol.

Looks like we won’t be upgrading to K5 anytime soon.
No lol the car itself is an improvement hence their reason to change the name.

Reactions: Bklynblaze

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
No lol the car itself is an improvement hence their reason to change the name.
I’ll still use the term “improvement” loosely lol. It looks better than the last gen but that’s the only improvement I see lmao.

·
Registered
129 Posts
No light (tan or grey) interior on the GT, so no K5 for us :(!
Looks like the Santa Fe and Sonata are now top of the list to replace our JGC. We love our 2011 EX White Pearl with Grey Interior, perfect for Texas and we decided to keep it until it falls apart;).

·
Registered
Black Optima 2012
3 Posts
Is it on sale now in USA? When we look at the videos coming from South Korea, there was a 10.5 LCD screen with the gauges with lots of features. Will this be available here? The Sonata has a diluted version of it but at least it's there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's on sale now at dealerships. GT model coming in November. Still gobsmacked that AWD isn't available on the EX or GT trims, or that the premium audio is only available on the EX and GT trims. I'll wait to see if the 2.5T comes to the Stinger and then compare again.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,869 Posts
My gut says that, going forward, Kia won't have a Stinger or an Optima, and instead merged them together to form the K5.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6
108 Posts
You guys obviously aren't comparing the actual features with the actual prices when talking about the Sonata. Many of the features and fancy gimmicks you're complaining about are only available in the $34,500 MSRP Sonata, over $2,000 more expensive than an EX K5 with the premium package. The base EX K5 comes standard with things like a Pano sunroof, ventilated seats and the premium packages adds things like a 10-way power passenger seat w/lumbar, while the Sonata Limited only gets 4-way power passenger. You can't even get ventilated seats on anything less than the Sonata Limited.

·
Registered
462 Posts
You guys obviously aren't comparing the actual features with the actual prices when talking about the Sonata. Many of the features and fancy gimmicks you're complaining about are only available in the $34,500 MSRP Sonata, over $2,000 more expensive than an EX K5 with the premium package. The base EX K5 comes standard with things like a Pano sunroof, ventilated seats and the premium packages adds things like a 10-way power passenger seat w/lumbar, while the Sonata Limited only gets 4-way power passenger. You can't even get ventilated seats on anything less than the Sonata Limited.
More features=more expensive
You don't say?
Some of us are willing to pay for those extra features. I wanted to buy another Optima, but have seriously considered against it because they dropped the ball. The fact you can't even option the features that would make this car stand out is just dumb.
Limited owners have paid $31,500 so you're getting a lot for your money. And the 2021 MY is coming with 6 way power adjustable passenger seats so hardly a deal breaker versus the 10 way.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6
108 Posts
You don't say?
Some of us are willing to pay for those extra features. I wanted to buy another Optima, but have seriously considered against it because they dropped the ball. The fact you can't even option the features that would make this car stand out is just dumb.
Limited owners have paid $31,500 so you're getting a lot for your money. And the 2021 MY is coming with 6 way power adjustable passenger seats so hardly a deal breaker versus the 10 way.
I think they are doing things based on their data of buyers and feedback. It seems like Kia has determined that their buyer tends to want certain features at a lower price point and prefers things like a conventional shifter and physical gauges, which is also consistent in what we see in the Telluride versus the Palisade. My point is that you may be part of a very small group of buyers that Kia doesn't consider worth catering to. For example; Genesis, Mazda, and even Honda have recently axed almost all of their manual transmission models despite the outcry from enthusiasts online who obviously aren't buying such cars in the numbers needed to make it worth it to keep building them.

Mentioning OTD prices doesn't really work here. It's one thing if we're comparing a Toyota versus a Chrysler, where it's obvious you're much more likely to get a significantly bigger discount on that Pacifica versus a Sienna; but you should be able to get a similar deal between a Hyundai and Kia provided most other variables are the same.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
119 Posts
Can’t wait to get my hands on the 290 HP GT trim. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
You don't say?
As an owner of a 2018 SXL, it seems like there are a couple of trade-offs trying to most likely keep the price down. I was looking at the AWD GT (available Nov.) For example, I am not seeing dynamic bending lights for one....I also like the napa-leather seats I currently have...what is the synthetic crap they are using now? Why can't we have wireless Car-play? Many other little nice features have disappeared....The availability of colors interior and exteriors are also very limited.....I was so looking forward to the new model, but am a little disappointed....

·
Registered
462 Posts
As an owner of a 2018 SXL, it seems like there are a couple of trade-offs trying to most likely keep the price down. I was looking at the AWD GT (available Nov.) For example, I am not seeing dynamic bending lights for one....I also like the napa-leather seats I currently have...what is the synthetic crap they are using now? Why can't we have wireless Car-play? Many other little nice features have disappeared....The availability of colors interior and exteriors are also very limited.....I was so looking forward to the new model, but am a little disappointed....
The GT does not come with AWD. A lot of people are not understanding this.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts