Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2021 K5 First look reviews are dropping, full reviews to follow.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Decontented GT trim. Disappointing to say the least.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,831 Posts
I'm not a fan of the "fake" hatchback styling.

They literally put a decoy fake dark window-wannabe thing on top of the trunk.

I feel like I have to choose between two fake options: 1) fake hatchback trunk thing on the K5, or 2) fake cosmetic hood vents on the Stinger.

I thought Kia would work harder to make an impression that is based on substance. I just hate the fake wannabe design elements that scream "I'm trying too hard to impress you"

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a design feature, different and unique. It would have been great if they made it a hatchback however, that would probably turn off some buyers, in the US market at least. Folks say they hate hatchbacks but give them a jacked up "wagon" and call it a coupe SUV and they will pay even more money for it.

For me it is a really nice design that fits the original Optima styling from the 2011 design.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Base LX trim starting at $23,490
GT starting at $30,490

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The GT will be around $36-38K, with the $4K GT1 package, options and special paint colors (Passion Red, Glacier White Pearl and Wolf Gray). I see they are marketing it wit more power than a 330 or A4. I wish KIA would finally get around to doing auto up/down windows on all doors. They should have made the GT with HK system or Krell as in Korea for that upscale touch. I also noticed they aren't doing the rotary dial for gear changes. Hyundai went full bore with their button setup, I figured on the lower level, up to EX they would get the rotary dial and the GT would have gotten an electronic shifter like the Stinger. Maybe later they will bring a GT2 AWD version.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wonder if they will have the "regular unleaded" option for the GT engine?
I do like being able to use Unleaded when we are on long road trips in states with lower speed limits. General driving around Texas is another matter ;)!!

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,831 Posts
I do like being able to use Unleaded when we are on long road trips in states with lower speed limits. General driving around Texas is another matter ;)!!
UH OH, is unleaded gas not required in Texas? If enough people use leaded gasoline, that might explain the situation with COVID resurgence...

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6
108 Posts

Lots of anguish in the comments over the lack of a fully digital guage cluster like the new Sonata and Korean K5 models. I'm wondering if KMMG couldn't get a supplier or what.

After test driving the new Sonata, Palisade, and Mazda3 which have large digital guage displays, I find it mostly a gimmick for wow-factor and aesthetics. Everything just about takes up the same amount space as a normal guage cluster; It just looks fancier. Not saying it wouldn't have been nice, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

A normal shifter over the Korean model's dial shifter is also plus in my opinion.

$29,000 MSRP for the stuff on the EX in this video is very strong value if you're just looking for a comfortable daily with extra features. Standard safety tech and LED headlights make going with a lower trim level to save coin much more enticing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ok! Ok!
My point was.......that most small turbocharged motors currently installed by major manufacturers (BMW, MB, Audi et al) require PREMIUM unleaded but some manufacturers also allow the optional use of REGULAR Unleaded.
You also get an associated drop in performance with the lower octane gas but the EMS "detunes" the motor to allow for the use of REGULAR unleaded.

·
Registered
2014 Optima Optima SX Turbo
4 Posts
I think you mean ethanol, not lead. I have been seeing an increasing availability of gas without ethanol in Texas, but not leaded fuel, except in racing fuel.

.../don

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Lots of anguish in the comments over the lack of a fully digital guage cluster like the new Sonata and Korean K5 models. I'm wondering if KMMG couldn't get a supplier or what.

After test driving the new Sonata, Palisade, and Mazda3 which have large digital guage displays, I find it mostly a gimmick for wow-factor and aesthetics. Everything just about takes up the same amount space as a normal guage cluster; It just looks fancier. Not saying it wouldn't have been nice, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

A normal shifter over the Korean model's dial shifter is also plus in my opinion.

$29,000 MSRP for the stuff on the EX in this video is very strong value if you're just looking for a comfortable daily with extra features. Standard safety tech and LED headlights make going with a lower trim level to save coin much more enticing.

I think KIA might leave the upgrades for later on the US models and I'm thinking the dealer groups are the ones that refused it much like the digital display. Or maybe they want to do it on the Stinger and Cadenza first, then bring it o the Optima. We will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Don,
Sorry.....I meant an option to run the Turbo motor on Regular Unleaded Gas instead of Mid or Super Unleaded.Gas.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
No more auto fold mirrors, no more heated rear seats, no digital dash, has fake leather now, have to move up to LX-S to get the full suite of safety tech... I think KIA went a little backwards here. It’s missing a bunch of things the Sonata has.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The last few years they seem to have been doing that. As the other guys are adding these things, they are taking them out.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Kia US has updated their website with full specs and build configurator. Compared to the Sonata the K5 is embarrassing in available features. The N-Line looks more and more promising over the GT.

Reactions: OPTIMA_K5

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can't understand why they only have black interior for the GT, would have thought they realized that people want other color options on their sport ride.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,024 Posts
Purely speculation on my part, but despite the "makeover" of the Optima/K5 for 2021 I'm guessing that Kia is putting most of their eggs into the SUV basket...cough, Telluride (especially) and Seltos.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Where’s the Full Digital Cluster, Remote parking, lane change cameras??? The sonata has them why not the Optima.

If I’m being honest I expected the new Optima (K5) to have more kit than the Sonata (just like the previous generations). No point in choosing the Optima over the Sonata now if you’re going for features but if your going for the looks the K5 blows the Sonata out of the water.

They remove auto folding mirrors, heated rear seats but decide to bring in an Auto shut off feature..dumbest move I’ve ever witnessed. I don’t think the EX even has a power passenger seat anymore...really losing that bang for the buck. I’m kind of disappointed with this generation.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts