Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kia 2018 optima EX with power seat in the front. I had water damage that impacted the power seat functionality of each of the front two seats, but will focus on drivers side seat. The seat will incline forward but not decline backward. I have removed the panels covering the switch etc. and tested the wires leading to the switch with an auto pen, all seem to be functioning properly. I tested the power/ground at this point with a multimeter, it seems to be fine. I cannot remove the seat due to the fact that it will not move forward (and the back two screws are out of reach). I ordered a new switch on a hunch, but that did not work. Does anyone have any idea how I may solve this problem? Thank you all and any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a Kia 2018 optima EX with power seat in the front. I had water damage that impacted the power seat functionality of each of the front two seats, but will focus on drivers side seat. The seat will incline forward but not decline backward. I have removed the panels covering the switch etc. and tested the wires leading to the switch with an auto pen, all seem to be functioning properly. I tested the power/ground at this point with a multimeter, it seems to be fine. I cannot remove the seat due to the fact that it will not move forward (and the back two screws are out of reach). I ordered a new switch on a hunch, but that did not work. Does anyone have any idea how I may solve this problem? Thank you all and any help is appreciated.
side note- my car has the memory system installed. there is nothing obstructing the tracks or anything like that. I also blew out the components with WD40 and reset the comp by disconnecting the battery overnight with the lights on.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima EX Prem
339 Posts
THanks for your reply--sunroof/windows etc were all closed. This was due to the flooding in NJ ~Sept of last year.
So you bought a total / flood vehicle? This most likely isn't an issue with the seat, but something with one, or many, of the CAN Bus systems. I'd run from this car if I were you because this is most likely just the start of many issues to come.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you bought a total / flood vehicle? This most likely isn't an issue with the seat, but something with one, or many, of the CAN Bus systems. I'd run from this car if I were you because this is most likely just the start of many issues to come.
Unfortunately, it was my car at the time of the flood :cry:

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima EX Prem
339 Posts
Unfortunately, it was my car at the time of the flood :cry:
So it wasn't insured or just liability, or you bough it back as a salvage title? In either case, water and today's cars (electronics) don't mix. That is why an insurance co will immediately total a vehicle where there was any hint of water / flood intrusion.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,320 Posts
Have you tried simply applying power directly to the seat motor?

Like, use a 12 V source and jumper wires with an appropriate fuse, and just connect it directly to the motor leads of the seat. That way you bypass all the switches etc. and find out if the motor works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts