Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there , I have a 2013 Kia Optima EX. I’ve ran into an issue with my HID fog lights not working. The car itself had HIDs low beam and fogs professionally installed a 3 years back that have worked without issue for many years. The low beams still work fine but At one point I noticed both the fog lights went out. I recently decided to start to troubleshoot the issue and see if I can get them fixed.

The hid fogs and lows are all running off 35w slim ballast. Morimoto h11b and h8 bulbs. They are not using a relay and are hard wired to the cars stock harness. ( if it was my choice and I knew before the installer did it - I would have used a relay)

I tested the fog light ballast and bulbs by swapping them with my low beams to ensure it wasn’t an issue with the ballast or bulbs. Both worked fine when using them off the low beam wiring.

So from there I did some reading and saw a lot of people say that they recommend to replace the multi function switch. I ordered one off eBay and replaced it last night. Before putting the steering wheel back together I turned on the car quick , clicked on the lights and then the fog switch and still nothing but the low beams working. I’ll also note that there is no symbol on the dash showing up for the fog light being on.

At this point I’m looking for a little more help on what to check next? From what I understand these cars don’t have a dedicated fuse just for the fog lights they run off a ips module? I’ve checked the wiring and it all looks to be in good condition , no melting. What can I check next? Are there any specific fuses that would cause an issue ? I’m getting tired of chasing this silly problem and just hoping you guys have some ideas. I’ve attached some pics below of the wiring. I believe the plug higher up is the cars stock fog light plug and the one that hangs down lower is the h11b hid plug they tapped off of the original harness. I’ve spent hours looking on the internet , optima FB groups as well as this forum and can’t find any answers. Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
I don’t have my K5 anymore but I do know that these Korean cars are very finicky with electronics, you’re the first member that I’ve seen splicing into an OEM wiring harness for aftermarket HID. Even though it was working a for a few years it might have acted up, not sure if you can just remove the splicing and see how that goes. Sorry I can’t help you much but hopefully someone else can chime in to help you out. GL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t have my K5 anymore but I do know that these Korean cars are very finicky with electronics, you’re the first member that I’ve seen splicing into an OEM wiring harness for aftermarket HID. Even though it was working a for a few years it might have acted up, not sure if you can just remove the splicing and see how that goes. Sorry I can’t help you much but hopefully someone else can chime in to help you out. GL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for trying to help much appreciated - from what I was told as long as it’s 35w and not 55w the cars factory wiring should have been able to handle it. It was atleast 3 yrs working fine and then one day both just went out together. I do believe I drove through a puddle around that time as well. But I’ve tested the ballast and bulbs and there all ok still. Hoping some others will pop in. Thanks again !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts