Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2012 PSD pickup de-fuels at 97 mph. which is controlled by the computer programming.
Is our 2019 Kia LX 2.4 engine top speed also controlled? I was in the fast lane today and driving along with the traffic and looked down and it was sitting at 95 mph. I moved over into the slow lane and brought it back down to 65 mph.
Anyone found the limit on our Kia's?

·
Registered
11 Posts
okay so “I” didn’t do this. (legal reasons). But I’ve been told many times the governor is set to 110 on kia. My GMC 1500 ls3 is governed to 113mph from factory. My Kia Has gotten to 127mph. So honestly with that, I don’t know haha. Kias (at least 2010-2013) don’t even have “oil reminder light” and many other “normal” things to tell the driver what’s going on, so could be possible other things like a low governor was left out and set higher.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
In the U.S., car manufacturers limit the vehicle's top speed based in part on the speed-rating specs of the OEM tires that come installed on the vehicle--e.g., if the OEM tires are H-rated, then by law the vehicle must be speed-limited to no more than 130 mph even if the vehicle is mechanically capable of exceeding such speeds. Nowadays this may not be as big a matter as the majority of vehicle models come with OEM tires that are at a minimum V-rated (max 149 mph) but there are a few economy (i.e., "cheap") tires sold that are H- and possibly even T- (118 mph) or S- (112 mph) rated--this was especially true way back in the day on econoboxes and light trucks that came equipped with S-rated tires (no doubt due to trying to save a buck). Vehicle manufacturers are free to set whatever max speed they choose but in the U.S by law they cannot set it to be any higher than the speed rating of the tires that come factory-equipped on the vehicle.

Put it this way--hypothetically speaking, if a U.S.-spec late-model Corvette ever came equipped with OEM V-rated tires from the factory, I promise you Chevy will have set its limiter to no higher than 149 mph.

Now this isn't to say you can't get around the governor by reprogramming or removing it entirely, but personally I am a bit skeptical about the claim of older Optima SX models reaching 150 mph--at least not in stock form, since I can't imagine Kia putting OEM W-rated or higher tires (which would be required if the governor in U.S.-sold Optimas was programmed at the factory to allow it to safely exceed 150 mph) on a model that is clearly considered to be more economy than sport--plus the fact that even the Kia bean counters know better than to suggest going with a most-costly W-rated or higher tire on an Optima where a relatively lower-cost V-rated tire will do as far as profits are concerned.

I'm not saying that it's totally impossible for some older (U.S. model) SX Optima to be able to do 150 mph, just that there's no way a completely bone-stock factory-spec unmodified (both mechanical and software) one can hit those speeds.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
mooney201--did you try to push your Optima to go faster than 95 mph? IMHO I can't imagine that a 2019 Optima be limited to such a low max speed, but in all fairness I've never driven a 2.4L Optima so who knows...but still--95 mph is artificially low for a vehicle that is quite capable of reaching and sustaining (even if for a short amount of time) those speeds. Are you still running the OEM-equipped tires on your 2019, and if so, then what is the speed rating? Without seeing one myself, I'd be surprised if the speed rating on those tires is anything lower than H-rated (130 mph); the factory Michelins on my 2018 SXL are V-rated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In the U.S., car manufacturers limit the vehicle's top speed based in part on the speed-rating specs of the OEM tires that come installed on the vehicle--e.g., if the OEM tires are H-rated, then by law the vehicle must be speed-limited to no more than 130 mph even if the vehicle is mechanically capable of exceeding such speeds. Nowadays this may not be as big a matter as the majority of vehicle models come with OEM tires that are at a minimum V-rated (max 149 mph) but there are a few economy (i.e., "cheap") tires sold that are H- and possibly even T- (118 mph) or S- (112 mph) rated--this was especially true way back in the day on econoboxes and light trucks that came equipped with S-rated tires (no doubt due to trying to save a buck). Vehicle manufacturers are free to set whatever max speed they choose but in the U.S by law they cannot set it to be any higher than the speed rating of the tires that come factory-equipped on the vehicle.

Put it this way--hypothetically speaking, if a U.S.-spec late-model Corvette ever came equipped with OEM V-rated tires from the factory, I promise you Chevy will have set its limiter to no higher than 149 mph.

Now this isn't to say you can't get around the governor by reprogramming or removing it entirely, but personally I am a bit skeptical about the claim of older Optima SX models reaching 150 mph--at least not in stock form, since I can't imagine Kia putting OEM W-rated or higher tires (which would be required if the governor in U.S.-sold Optimas was programmed at the factory to allow it to safely exceed 150 mph) on a model that is clearly considered to be more economy than sport--plus the fact that even the Kia bean counters know better than to suggest going with a most-costly W-rated or higher tire on an Optima where a relatively lower-cost V-rated tire will do as far as profits are concerned.

I'm not saying that it's totally impossible for some older (U.S. model) SX Optima to be able to do 150 mph, just that there's no way a completely bone-stock factory-spec unmodified (both mechanical and software) one can hit those speeds.
I agree with this. 127mph (13 2.4 LX) makes sense to the claims. (When/if possible) I was surprised at the 150 claim to

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mooney201--did you try to push your Optima to go faster than 95 mph? IMHO I can't imagine that a 2019 Optima be limited to such a low max speed, but in all fairness I've never driven a 2.4L Optima so who knows...but still--95 mph is artificially low for a vehicle that is quite capable of reaching and sustaining (even if for a short amount of time) those speeds. Are you still running the OEM-equipped tires on your 2019, and if so, then what is the speed rating? Without seeing one myself, I'd be surprised if the speed rating on those tires is anything lower than H-rated (130 mph); the factory Michelins on my 2018 SXL are V-rated.
No I did not push it. When I saw that it was at 95 mph, I moved over into the slow lane and dropped the speed to 65 mph. The tires are the originals from the factory since we only have a little over 3000 miles on our Kia. We don't drive it much due to my wife having three compressed vertebrae fractures in her spine. It hurts her to go down into the passenger seat. When you are in your 80's stuff happens. We had to sell our Corvette due to her not being able to ride in it. It is lower than the Kia. We have running boards on our PSD pickup and Jeep Wrangler which she can climb up into them without to much pain.
I purchased the Kia for her for Christmas 2018 but she has not driven it much do to bad health. Now she can not drive at all. I drive it just to keep the battery up.
Our Turbocharged Corvette is gone, and I sure miss the power and speed, but my wife is more important than any thing we have. After 48 years of marriage, I kind of gotten used to her. LOL...
We still have our 1,017 hp Ford Falcon, but do not know how much longer I will keep it.
P1010487.JPG

car.jpg

P1010615.JPG
P1000323.JPG
P1000034.JPG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personally I hit 137mph last week in my 2014 Kia Optima LX (285,750 original block-305,500 currently), but based on upcoming curves , weather I know I could have hit 150.

·
Registered
2018 Kia 2018 Kia Optima
14 Posts
Had my
Our 2012 PSD pickup de-fuels at 97 mph. which is controlled by the computer programming.
Is our 2019 Kia LX 2.4 engine top speed also controlled? I was in the fast lane today and driving along with the traffic and looked down and it was sitting at 95 mph. I moved over into the slow lane and brought it back down to 65 mph.
Had my 18 LX 2.4L up to 127

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I doubt I will see anything over 100 mph unless by accident in our 2019 Optima lx.
I did 185 mph in our Corvette before coming to a corner. so I had to slow down. By the numbers, it should have been able to hit 200 mph, just did not have enough straight road.
Falcon hit 138 mph in quarter mile. When I use nitrous, it should hit 150 mph.
Jeep hit 90 mph passing other cars.
Pickup hit 97 mph passing other cars, before engine de-fueled.... scary.... when you are along side of another car and your engine quits pulling. That has been fixed, just not had the opportunity to test it.
Averaged 161 mph with our 240Z V8 at Silver State race for 90 miles.
220 mph in a Cessna 310 about 191 knots per hour. ( I am a pilot).
Any SR71 pilots on this forum? 2,200 mph cruise for them.

Here is a picture of our 240Z V8
240zv8.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
mooney201--in the end all that really matters is that you still have your wife. :cool: Nice Z BTW! Granted it has seen better days but it doesn't take much effort to get my 2004 MB CLK 55 AMG up to triple-digit speeds in short time. Sure it's performance doesn't hold a candle to many other 21st-century sedans and coupes these days but those AMG German engineers sure know how to design and build motors. At least the one thing I can say about my CLK's performance is that it's all-motor and all-stock.

Back on topic--according to Car and Driver, apparently the 2016 Optima (w/ the 2.0T) (supposedly?) has a drag-limited top speed of 153 mph but I wonder if they really even bothered to try to hit max speed on what is essentially a econobox sedan; they also indicated that the estimated top speed on a 2016 Optima with the 2.4L is 135 mph. Given these figures, there's no way a (bone-stock) Optima LX is gonna hit 150 mph--not unless you're going downhill and find a very long stretch of straight road to attempt it, and if you somehow were able to swap out the 2.4L that comes standard in the LX trim for a 2.0T...and even then that's assuming Kia did not program in a speed limiter which was what the original topic of this thread was all about to begin with!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am happy with the power of our Kia. It seems to handle getting on the freeway at traffic speed very well. I will at some point take our Kia to 120 mph just to see if it will get there. I want to check out the speed rating on the tires first. I do not plan to drive over the speed limit in it very often. I have owned many race cars, so do not need to race our Kia. At my age, I am not as good a driver as I was when younger, so I know my limitations. Our Falcon keeps me humble, when I have a chance to take it to the drag strip. Knowing my limitations, I am looking for a younger guy to drive it with full nitrous power. It should be somewhere in the 8's in the 1/4 mile. I have driven it without nitrous at 9.8 seconds and that is enough to make me pucker. So driving our Kia over 100 mph is no big deal.
Besides our lawn mower, our Jeep is the slowest vehicle we own.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I can personally vouch for my 2015 optima sx getting to 147 when I first got it and it was bone stock. It had more to give but going that fast in that car is just a bit scary for me. I have a lap3 tune now which I belive it gets rid of that governor but I wouldn't know I'm not trying to find out but I have no doubt it will see over 150. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere the oem governor was set around 155 give or take and I don't doubt it

·
Registered
1 Posts
okay so “I” didn’t do this. (legal reasons). But I’ve been told many times the governor is set to 110 on kia. My GMC 1500 ls3 is governed to 113mph from factory. My Kia Has gotten to 127mph. So honestly with that, I don’t know haha. Kias (at least 2010-2013) don’t even have “oil reminder light” and many other “normal” things to tell the driver what’s going on, so could be possible other things like a low governor was left out and set higher.
They top out at 130mph well at least my 2013 2.4 dose.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
I can personally vouch for my 2015 optima sx getting to 147 when I first got it and it was bone stock. It had more to give but going that fast in that car is just a bit scary for me. I have a lap3 tune now which I belive it gets rid of that governor but I wouldn't know I'm not trying to find out but I have no doubt it will see over 150. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere the oem governor was set around 155 give or take and I don't doubt it
GPS-validated or did you just take the vehicle speedometer's word for it? ;)

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
17 Posts
Hello,

When I went on my road trip almost three years ago, I pushed my Kia just past 100...I was in Montana where the speed limit is 80. Once I got it past that point, I slowed back down because I wasn’t familiar with that area and didn’t want to take a chance at getting pulled over. LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts