Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took in my 13' KIA Optima to be serviced due to the steering-wheel coupling issue, Upon further inspection it was determined i needed a new engine as my vehicle qualified under the recall.
Fast-forward 3-weeks later i receive a call today telling me that my engine is installed but that it is recommended for the vehicle to be driven 'hard' after an engine swap and the service manager was asking me to give the mechanic permission to take the vehicle home with them; I thought this was an odd request but i just agreed.

However now that i think about it, It is rather strange and i was hoping maybe some fellow members could clarify this for me. What does a regular recall engine swap service go like? Is this standard procedure?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,555 Posts
Also, taking the vehicle home is somewhat unprofessional. If all they need to do is drive the engine hard, they could have done that without taking the vehicle home.

It's just a really strange thing to me.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, taking the vehicle home is somewhat unprofessional. If all they need to do is drive the engine hard, they could have done that without taking the vehicle home.

It's just a really strange thing to me.
Same which is why i'm trying to make sense of this entire situation, Since I've gotten the vehicle i have had horrible experiences with servicing across the country and needless to say as much as i hate to say it; This may be my last KIA purchase.

Sounds like the service dept. is living in the past.
Certainly looks like they're not familiar with the break in process:

I wouldn't be happy if a tech took my car, (new engine) out and drove it like he stole it.
I figured as much, At the very least they could have a Dyno-like machine to run the vehicle on. It just seems both inefficient and unprofessional on their part and let me not even get started on the fact that they kept my vehicle for 3-weeks and couldn't provide me with a loaner; Instead they wanted me to pay out of pocket for a refundable deposit on an Enterprise rental which being unemployed i couldn't afford.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,555 Posts
Maybe the employee just needed transportation for a few weeks. He can just use your car, while Kia will reimburse you for the rental justified because of testing purposes. Probably not possible for the employee to get Kia to provide him a free rental.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts