Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for a new or recent model used car. I've noticed the Kia Optima heavily discounted and saw mention of up to $4,000 or so in incentives. Some dealers are advertising super cheap Optimas.

Also saw a few K5s at the local dealer. Was told they came in last week. Was also told that they're no longer producing Optimas, so whats available is it.

Sounds like they're trying to close them out.

I'm looking for a bargain. The K5 looks awesome, but doubt it will be discounted. And it's a new platform, first year. The Optima might be really well priced and it's a mature platform. Only plan to keep for about three years.

Any advice?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,840 Posts
Don't know your location, but there are new 2018, 2019, 2020 Kia's discounted $7000, and many to choose from under $17000. It's decent transportation with a great warranty, but the negative is the depreciation, not good.
Advertised 2017 LX Certified (retains 10/100 warranty) 7407 miles $13999, or a 2017 EX Certified 9096 miles $16185.
Good luck

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought a S model for 19k. I do know the resale value is krap on KIA but I'm planning on driving it for a long time. I've had it a few months now and it only has 600 miles on it LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't know your location, but there are new 2018, 2019, 2020 Kia's discounted $7000, and many to choose from under $17000. It's decent transportation with a great warranty, but the negative is the depreciation, not good.
Advertised 2017 LX Certified (retains 10/100 warranty) 7407 miles $13999, or a 2017 EX Certified 9096 miles $16185.
Good luck
Do you mean that there are still brand new, never been sold, 2018 and 2019 vehicles sitting on dealer lots waiting for an original owner?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a S model for 19k. I do know the resale value is krap on KIA but I'm planning on driving it for a long time. I've had it a few months now and it only has 600 miles on it LOL
Are these things always discounted that heavily or is it just because the new model is coming out?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
123 Posts
You should think about the lease then buyout option. Basically negotiate the price of the car then say you’ll lease it. They are giving around 4500 lease cash depending on model for 24 month lease. Then when your paperwork gets in the finance system which is typically 4 days you secure a low interest loan with bank/credit union of your choice then buy the car out. You will have to pay a 300 lease buyout fee but doing it this way you can tap into the lease cash. Go to Kia website build the car you want then click calculate and choose lease. Select 24 month and it will show you the lease cash available. This topic is talked about heavily on the stinger forums. Many have done it because their lease cash was close to 10k. Just another option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,840 Posts
Do you mean that there are still brand new, never been sold, 2018 and 2019 vehicles sitting on dealer lots waiting for an original owner?
Take a look at autotrader.com for new cars and put the years in from/to and you'll be able to find the cars, and if you use your zip code it will supply the cars in a radius of the miles requested. You must read all the fine print to be certain as to what the pricing might include.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should think about the lease then buyout option. Basically negotiate the price of the car then say you’ll lease it. They are giving around 4500 lease cash depending on model for 24 month lease. Then when your paperwork gets in the finance system which is typically 4 days you secure a low interest loan with bank/credit union of your choice then buy the car out. You will have to pay a 300 lease buyout fee but doing it this way you can tap into the lease cash. Go to Kia website build the car you want then click calculate and choose lease. Select 24 month and it will show you the lease cash available. This topic is talked about heavily on the stinger forums. Many have done it because their lease cash was close to 10k. Just another option

So I could be driving a brand new Optima for roughly $10,000??

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
123 Posts
So I could be driving a brand new Optima for roughly $10,000??
The 10k lease cash was for the stinger. I was using it as an example. Optimal are roughly 4500 lease cash plus dealer discount. So if you could get a dealer to discount and then get the lease cash on top then you should do well

·
Registered
104 Posts
This was 4 dealers and three weeks of negotiating. I already had two cars so I wasn't in dire need of a car. Let's say, I didn't make any buddies dealing with the stealership :LOL:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 10k lease cash was for the stinger. I was using it as an example. Optimal are roughly 4500 lease cash plus dealer discount. So if you could get a dealer to discount and then get the lease cash on top then you should do well

So I’d lease the car, then buy it out the next week. Make all 24 payments and the predetermined buyout amount (which typically Happen at the end of the lease). So if I found a car for about $22,000 which is already about $4,000 off MSRP, my net price could be $17,500 at the end of the week?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
123 Posts
So I’d lease the car, then buy it out the next week. Make all 24 payments and the predetermined buyout amount (which typically Happen at the end of the lease). So if I found a car for about $22,000 which is already about $4,000 off MSRP, my net price could be $17,500 at the end of the week?
Yes. The lease cash is from the manufacturer. So they have to give it to you. You still want to negotiate the selling price of the car.

Spend some time and read through this forum

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I came into this thinking I can knock $4,000 off MSRP due to somewhat widely known incentives on this model as described here

Then it was mentioned that you can do the lease deal. I got really excited thinking I could "stack the coupons" and get both. Not sure that's the case. I do see where I'd get $4,800 lease incentive on an EX Premium using Kia's site to build and calculate price:

On EX Premium:

I guess when I saw new 2020 EX models for $22,000 advertised online that those dealers are applying the $4,000 incentive to their advertised price.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
123 Posts
I came into this thinking I can knock $4,000 off MSRP due to somewhat widely known incentives on this model as described here

Then it was mentioned that you can do the lease deal. I got really excited thinking I could "stack the coupons" and get both. Not sure that's the case. I do see where I'd get $4,800 lease incentive on an EX Premium using Kia's site to build and calculate price:

On EX Premium:

I guess when I saw new 2020 EX models for $22,000 advertised online that those dealers are applying the $4,000 incentive to their advertised price.
I never go by the advertised price. It’s all BS. They just want to get you in the door. If you found the car you want do all your negotiating over email. Saves a lot of time and frustration.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
@Bob2C why not just go ahead and pay the lease payments for 24 months then at the end of two years pay it off or get a loan to pay it off? You'd have to make all 24 payments up front if you do it the week after you get it, right? Or do you save on interest on the lease by paying off early?

edit: may be explained in the stinger forum thread, I looked at it earlier today as I was running around, looking again and maybe it's answered there...

edit two: yep, answered in post number 6 over there "Chris is correct. Immediate buyout mitigates almost all of the rent charge (interest) which is applied to both the Adjusted Cap Cost and Residule Value."

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,036 Posts

LOL car manufacturers that also have their own financing branch hate when people do this sneaky trick (lease to take advantage of lease cash, then turn around and buy the car outright), as it is good for the buyer/consumer but bad for the finance company fronting the lease.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 2015 Sienna I got 5k off on a lease and then bought it at the end. I even paid Toyota the money so I would not have to pay their BS document fees.. Man, I'm so cheap LOL

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
123 Posts
LOL car manufacturers that also have their own financing branch hate when people do this sneaky trick (lease to take advantage of lease cash, then turn around and buy the car outright), as it is good for the buyer/consumer but bad for the finance company fronting the lease.
My take. If they don’t like it they shouldn’t allow it. They make enough on these cars

1 - 20 of 29 Posts