Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there , I have a 2013 optima with the full size screen. At this point it’s become pretty obsolete due to how slow it is , unresponsive , no Apple car play etc. I’m looking to do an upgrade. I’ve been wondering if anyone on here has been able to take a screen from a newer optima that has CarPlay and install it in an older optima ? That would be great if it was possible and could work.
If not what have people used for aftermarket double dins ? I’d like to be able to retain my factory backup camera and steering wheel controls. Is that possible with aftermarket screens ?

if anyone has done an upgrade on there older optima I’d like to hear about it. Looking for a head unit that does not lag and has wireless Apple car play. Money is not an issue I just want it to run smooth.

Any help is much appreciated !

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,070 Posts
You mention what has become my main concern: using backup camera without a startup delay. I wish there was a tablet-style (like tesla full-screen) that could stay in a sleep state when you turn off the car, so it would be ready quickly when you turn on the car again. But I think they all shut down fully so you need to wait a full boot cycle after turning on the car before the backup camera is ready.

I love how the stock unit will sometimes be in a "sleep" state (not fully shut down) for a time after I turn off the car, so when I turn on the car again, the backup camera is pretty much ready to go. And even when you turn off the car for a while and the stock unit goes fully powered off, it still boots up really fast and so the backup camera is ready.

But I haven't researched much at all, and haven't seen a replacement unit that gives you quick access to the backup camera like the stock unit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What was the install process for the one you have? Was it pretty much plug and play or do you still have to do wire splicing like other stereo installs?

For the original post, I know from previous experience (I had a Pioneer nav unit installed on a 2012 Sedona) that the steering wheel controls will function, but I had to buy an adapter for the steering wheel controls to work. Can't comment on the camera since the van didn't have one stock, but the stock mics couldn't be hooked up.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
It was 90% Plug-and-Play. I had to wire the reverse trigger to the in-car wire, but that's a simple fix, there's a post on this forum explaining how.

The steering wheel controls work, and you can attach addons like a dashcam, and additional cameras very easily.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It was 90% Plug-and-Play. I had to wire the reverse trigger to the in-car wire, but that's a simple fix, there's a post on this forum explaining how.

The steering wheel controls work, and you can attach addons like a dashcam, and additional cameras very easily.
Good information... but dangerous... I might be tempted since my wife can't stand the factory nav. I don't mind it, and actually appreciate the simplicity of it.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
It's actually not dangerous at all. The head unit uses all low-voltage wiring. Just use a little common sense, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
so the question I have for is the virtual buttons on the PX6 functional? or was that just a picture to simulate working buttons?
No, all the buttons work. The software for the HVAC controls is fairly generic so it'll work with all 3 trim levels, but everything works.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's actually not dangerous at all. The head unit uses all low-voltage wiring. Just use a little common sense, and you'll be fine.
Hah dangerous in that the ease of install makes this very tempting.

Does the unit have or require internet connectivity? If so, how did you handle that? I'd assume I'd either need to use my phone as a hot spot or get a sim card for an internet subscription.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
It comes with built-in Wi-Fi, so if you use your phone as a hotspot, or purchase a dedicated one, you can watch YouTube, or listen to podcasts with no issue.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
7 Posts
I have a 10” unit and it works great for me, previously had the stock radio with the small screen with no reverse camera, so I had to install one anyway. I now have Apple CarPlay and boots really fast too! Doesn’t display any startup screen when the car is turned on, it’s always ready to go.
22AA4F64-1F0C-4F54-B762-A37B1A2AD2B1.jpeg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts