Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 optima EX. It came with the heated steering wheel option. I’m curious is it possible to get rid of the heated steering wheel and add paddle shifters since I know you can’t have both. Is it as simple as just swapping a SXL steering wheel into my EX to make it work or what has to be done? I’ve read some of the forums about it but haven’t found any about people that want to give up there heated steering wheel option and add paddle shifters. Any help is appreciated !

· Registered
475 Posts
Most anything can be done with enough time and money. Not sure of what is needed besides the obvious you mentioned but perhaps you looking thru the FSM will help ID any extra parts like a dedicated ECU. I would take that trade, would rather shift 'manually' with the stick than paddles yet would appreciate the heated wheel more. Luck.

· Registered
70 Posts
Yes you can. cost 26 dollars for parts the paddles and wiring. I added padel to my 2012 ex Optima with heated steering wheel. I like the heated wheel so padel are for looks now . If you want the paddle's and no heated wheel you have to buy a new coil connecter for it costs about 30 bucks . you never buy a new steering wheel .:cool:

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes you can. cost 26 dollars for parts the paddles and wiring. I added padel to my 2012 ex Optima with heated steering wheel. I like the heated wheel so padel are for looks now . If you want the paddle's and no heated wheel you have to buy a new coil connecter for it costs about 30 bucks . you never buy a new steering wheel .:cool:
I appreciate the info! So basically you were able to keep your OEM heated wheel and just disconnect it temporarily Incase you ever wanted to use it again and then you installed the paddle shifters? Do you have to cut out any plastic on the back of the steering wheel and is there already pre drilled holes for them to mount to? Does all the factory controls still work correctly on the steering wheel? Also do you know what part number I would need to make it work for the harness. I appreciate the help!

· Registered
70 Posts
Yes you have to cut the back plastic part easy to do. the mont hole are there already. spiral cable I don't know the part number look up cable for paddles. yes all controls work.so 26 dollars I add paddles. with heated wheel but I did not connect them because I want heated wheel . you will just have to replace the spiral cable also to get paddles to work. but I do not think you can have both if you can, will you please let me know.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes you have to cut the back plastic part easy to do. the mont hole are there already. spiral cable I don't know the part number look up cable for paddles. yes all controls work.so 26 dollars I add paddles. with heated wheel but I did not connect them because I want heated wheel . you will just have to replace the spiral cable also to get paddles to work. but I do not think you can have both if you can, will you please let me know.
Awsome thanks for the help. And from my understanding you can’t have both work like you said. I looked through a ton of forums and nobody was able to make it work. Did you also order the paddles from somewhere or did you get them off an Sx steering wheel? I’m wondering if I just purchased the whole Sx/Sxl steering wheel if it’s a direct swap. They are pretty cheap on eBay

· Registered
70 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
With enough time and money, almost everything is possible. I'm not sure what further is required outside what you just stated, however possibly checking through the FSM can help you identify any other components, such as a special ECU. I would accept that deal, preferring to shift "manually" with a stick instead of paddles, though I would value the heated wheel more. Luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts