Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia "Winona"
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas Happy Saturday! So i contacted a company today that makes custom pillar pods and told them we had a quite a few members that would probably be interested. They are going to be contacting kia on monday to get an a-pillar to make a prototype. They seem really eager to make this happen. I checked out their work and they make single, double, and triple cup pillar pods for vehicles like STI's, EVO'S, BRZ's, Gen coupes, and Velosters. If you are interested please let me know. Oh, and would any of you happen to know if the Sonata and Optima a-pillars are the same?

·
Registered
2011 kia optima
879 Posts
I contacted a guy thru jcspods but it taken him a while to get back and last time I talked to him he only had one gauge spot made so far. I told him we have people interested but idk. So who ever can get something for our cars let's do it.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX T-GDI Korean Model
1,458 Posts
That's usually the combo people do unless you have air bags people run those gauges in pods as well
I usually see people with boost for turbo cars, but some dude told me at car show one time, "all the other gauges for turbo cars are waste of money and useless", I was like what lol

But I will def do a&f for the aftermarket tune as well as battery gauge to make sure my battery is at its top shape.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima
236 Posts
I'm a buyer for an a pillar pod. I have been looking since I got the car. I had a triple pod in my WRX and when I sold it I removed all the gauges because I was going to install in my optima until I couldn't find an a pillar pod.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2012 Kia "Winona"
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I contacted a guy thru jcspods but it taken him a while to get back and last time I talked to him he only had one gauge spot made so far. I told him we have people interested but idk. So who ever can get something for our cars let's do it.
Funny thats the same company i contacted. Well hopefully with more optima owners bugging him it'll light a fire under his arse to get it done. He seemed real eager to get something together, so we'll see.

·
Registered
2011 kia optima
879 Posts
Ya he said he already have one that he started when I was emailing him. But he doesn't seem to want to respond.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

I usually see people with boost for turbo cars, but some dude told me at car show one time, "all the other gauges for turbo cars are waste of money and useless", I was like what lol

But I will def do a&f for the aftermarket tune as well as battery gauge to make sure my battery is at its top shape.
Actually gauges are a waste if your not tuned. If you are need need afr to watch your mixture so you don't detonate, boost gauge so you can watch your boost levels. Alot of this is for when a tuner is tuning your car. Some people won't tune if you don't have gauges.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima
236 Posts
Ya he said he already have one that he started when I was emailing him. But he doesn't seem to want to respond.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Actually gauges are a waste if your not tuned. If you are need need afr to watch your mixture so you don't detonate, boost gauge so you can watch your boost levels. Alot of this is for when a tuner is tuning your car. Some people won't tune if you don't have gauges.
Most tuners I know of or have dealt with have never said anything about not tubing a car if it doesn't have gauges. All the tuners I know monitor everything that's needed with there tuning software to watch afr, boost levels, temps, etc. I've seen gauges be off reading wise by quite a bit from watching the gauge versus monitoring readings with a scan tool directly from the vehicles ecu.

·
Registered
2011 kia optima
879 Posts
I know when I came from dsm when I had mine tune they wouldn't do it if no guages, a couple people my nephew took his evo to wouldn't either.

·
Registered
2012 Kia "Winona"
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Well ill check around for some other custom shops in my area to see if they are willing to put something together for us, just in case these guys dont follow through. Id much rather have my gauges on my pillar rather than trying to find a place on my dash to drill and stick pods.

·
Banned
2012 Kia Optima
1,870 Posts
Thats weird. I just don't know that I would want my car tuned based off of what aftermarket gauges were reading.

Its not always that they're tuning off the gauges so much so that they want you paying attention to them after the fact. At least that's how I perceive it. There's so many things that can go wrong and when you've learned how to understand the various readings and such, you might be able to prevent a bigger issue should something fail.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
681 Posts
Go with a gauge that has warning lights/sounds like Defi and PLX etc..
I've never understood any other type gauge because the moment you realize there's something wrong its typically too late.

·
Registered
2012 Kia "Winona"
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So i got an email back and he has ordered the pillar and waiting for it to arrive. He was wondering what everyone would be interested in; single, double, or triple pods? Please let me know :)

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,491 Posts
I'm game. Let me know. Im eager to see pictures, prototype or otherwise!

·
02/2015 ROTM
770 Posts
Single for me:) maybe double. But probably just single lol. Like to keep the subtle luxury/sport feel. 3 pods and I feel like a tuner or I need to jump in an Evo or something. 2 pods is working up to that. But still do able. My opinion ofcourse.

·
Registered
2011 kia optima
879 Posts
So i got an email back and he has ordered the pillar and waiting for it to arrive. He was wondering what everyone would be interested in; single, double, or triple pods? Please let me know :)
He said the same thing to me. I'll wait till he actually does send pics of it. I sent him numerous emails with pics that he requested.

·
02/2015 ROTM
770 Posts
He said the same thing to me. I'll wait till he actually does send pics of it. I sent him numerous emails with pics that he requested.
Aint holding my breathe on this guy either. However since another person has now contacted him about making some. Hopefully it sparked his interest a bit more as to this could potentially be quite lucrative for him.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts