Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I quick rundown of what I have done.
Intake, hks M40xl plugs, 3"downpipe, jb4 tune running map 2-3 and boosted octane to 99-100.
For performance, what would you do next?

·
Registered
2013 optima sx
92 Posts
A catless exhaust that is tuned for will gain you a max of 20-40 hp but if you’re pushing for power your restricting your power with a factory exhaust. Not saying it will be faster but factory components are made to be restrictive and fuel efficient.
So i would do exhaust first but depending on the power you’re aiming for you would need to do both if it’s a lot.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm hovering around the 350hp 360hp now, would like to go up to 400hp. Was thinking of doing 2.5" with high flow cat and res.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Catless exhaust 30-40HP???? No way. On my other turbo car with a vacuum wastegate, the only reason the HP will increase with a larger/less restrictive exhaust is that the boost will rise considerably, but have retained the factory exhaust/main cat and installed a MBC and raised 89HP. Now on the 2.0T the boost is controlled electronically with the ecu.

With the intercooler, although not much of a instant increase with the stock system, when modified, the cooler air charge will result in additional power gains.

·
Registered
2013 optima sx
92 Posts
Catless exhaust 30-40HP???? No way. On my other turbo car with a vacuum wastegate, the only reason the HP will increase with a larger/less restrictive exhaust is that the boost will rise considerably, but have retained the factory exhaust/main cat and installed a MBC and raised 89HP. Now on the 2.0T the boost is controlled electronically with the ecu.

With the intercooler, although not much of a instant increase with the stock system, when modified, the cooler air charge will result in additional power gains.
That number i said was referring to a tune with power supporting mods

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,681 Posts
Believe it or not, just the catless midpipe alone, with no catback exhaust, downpipe, or tune, nets nearly 19hp on a stock 2011-2015 Optima SX Turbo.

There is a Dyno sheet from @JasonS (moderator of the forum) showing the gains.

With summer temps getting warmer, I would hands down recommend the intercooler over the exhaust.

The Wagner Tuning Intercooler we sell on our site netted 11.5hp on stock 2011-2015 Optima SX Turbo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts