Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Kia followers. Here doing my stage 2 investigation. Already have some mods in my 2013 Optima SX, wanting to continue. I just spoke with some of my crew and decided that the next route will include bigger intercooler, SFR tunning 2.0 (heard Jake finally took out the rev-limiter on the tranny) and turbo mod (new impeller).

As stage 2 goes on my car, i've found various intercooler options like the ones on K5Optimastore with the wagner intercooler which uses OEM mounting and looks to be bigger, thus, higher volume and also possible higher turbo lag; they claim increase of 10+ HP for about $600+ after 4 dyno runs before heat starts to be an issue. Also found 845Motorsports front mounted intercooler which also claims for about $600+ to increase HP and keep temp low after 7 dyno runs.

so here's where I'm at as the Intercooler is my first stop to purchase on my Stage 2. Anyone has any video, dyno data, info on the Wagner Intercooler or front mounted intercooler......which is better? bang for money which is better?...

thanks in advance for all the help.

PS: I know that the K5Optimastore guys do provide good service and products, but please do not give me feedback about the product your're selling, i know you want to make the sale; let the customer's provided their opinions/facts/info. No pun intended, I've made purchase from them, I just don't want a sale's perspective opinion while i'm researching. (Kind regards)

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,786 Posts
As requested, "No feedback" from us to sell the product.

However, since this forum is pretty slow now with traffic, chances are you most likely will not get much feedback here.

You can read through several forum threads here on the Optima Forums regarding this intercooler.

In regards to our claim of it making 10+ hp, this comes from the Optima Forums Super Moderators post below, who tested it on the dyno on his optima:

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/63-diy-engine-technical/104506-how-install-wagner-intercooler.html

(Also great information about how to install it as well)

·
01/2015 ROTM, 05/2015 ROTM
2013 Optima 2013 SXL
1,143 Posts
I used to have the Wagner, and while vastly better than the stock unit, it does (in my own experience) "heatsoak" fairly easily on the Dyno especially, and once hot, causes computer to pull timing. I now have the KSR front mount and found it to be vastly superior in every way. I also run WMI and when spraying can get temps WAAY below ambient !....If you are going to get tuned, go with a front mount for sure. The only real advantage with the Wagner is ease of install as it replaces the factory unit. The front mount is a little more time consuming to fit, but is def worth it...plus, the "hole" left by the old IC is a perfect spot for a tranny cooler !!
https://www.ksrperformance.com/product-page/ksr-4-intake

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I used to have the Wagner, and while vastly better than the stock unit, it does (in my own experience) "heatsoak" fairly easily on the Dyno especially, and once hot, causes computer to pull timing. I now have the KSR front mount and found it to be vastly superior in every way. I also run WMI and when spraying can get temps WAAY below ambient !....If you are going to get tuned, go with a front mount for sure. The only real advantage with the Wagner is ease of install as it replaces the factory unit. The front mount is a little more time consuming to fit, but is def worth it...plus, the "hole" left by the old IC is a perfect spot for a tranny cooler !!
https://www.ksrperformance.com/product-page/ksr-4-intake

Thanks for the idea about the tranny cooler, also a good option. In addition that "hole" by the old IC also is the side where the "unusable air induction" is, thus, some air will also flow more freely to the intake. Also thanks for the link, think that the 845motorsports is a bit cheaper though ($800+ vs $600+)

·
01/2015 ROTM, 05/2015 ROTM
2013 Optima 2013 SXL
1,143 Posts
Price is pretty much the same once you start adding the options on the 845. The KSR comes with the "upgraded" treadstone core, charge pipe ,bov flange etc. Can only vouch for the effectiveness of the KSR, plus Kristian is a great guy to work with. I do know of at least one person here on the forums who had fitment issues with the 845, but others say no problems.....

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Julio Kia...forgot to ask if the Transcooler requiered anything mayor as I believe the Optima's transmission is sealed/closed (no dip stick). Where did you ran your lines to/from?

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,454 Posts
Julio Kia...forgot to ask if the Transcooler requiered anything mayor as I believe the Optima's transmission is sealed/closed (no dip stick). Where did you ran your lines to/from?
Sealed does not mean it is not cooled externally via the OEM radiator cooling loop. Just tap into that and run a good B&M super cooler for the tranny (in addition to the OEM loop).

BTW: Changing out the ATF is pretty simple and highly recommended (Factory interval is 60K miles for severe service). I'd suggest you switch to something more stout than the OEM fluid, such as Amsoil ATF.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts