Kia Optima Forums banner

Intake side occ question.

[SX-T] : 
6K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  williamhood 
#1 ·
What tube goes in and what goes out?
Found this while googling. Is it correct?
Text Font Line Diagram Drawing

See less See more
#2 ·
Got a one way valve to install that comes with the kit?
The normal clean air actually flows from the air duct into the VC, but if there's a great amount of pressure to "blow" oil mist back into the tube, the dirty air flow from the VC to the intake tube.
Having said that, don't know if there's any problem attaching it the way you have it in the diagram, or the normal air flow is disrupted when the engine is trying to bring in clean air into the exit and out the enter into the VC.
The more I've pondered the setups, I'm inclined to just do away with the tube and install filter on the valve cover, or as I've stated before, just install a one way valve into the tube and that would allow fresh air to get into the engine, but the dirty mist couldn't get passed the valve.

#5 ·
I was just curious whether there was a one way valve in the kit and the directions included.
There's the problem, as I can't see how a one way valve would work with an occ. If the one way valve was used with the arrow towards the vc as that is the clean air flow direction, then when the contaminated dirty air is blown back out of the vc into the tube, the air couldn't get through the one way valve, so why have an occ?

#6 ·
The instructions for the dual-out W3.3 OCC has one of the one-way valves pointed towards the air intake tube, and the other one-way valve pointed to the intake manifold. Curious as to why on the W3.3 a one-way valve is needed for OCC to intake manifold, given that on the W3 OCC no one-way valve is provided (i.e., not needed) for the same connection.

#8 ·
On the clean side the replacement hose/tube runs from the air intake tube to occ then into the vc.
Just wanted to check as I wouldn't think there was a one way valve, but never thought I'd see a one way valve on the dirty side from the PCV valve, or actually in the exit line occ to intake manifold. Reason I say that, is that the PCV valve is a one way valve itself.

#10 ·
The ADD guy responded--"The V3 and V3.3 are two different design. The V3.3 check valve is for the dual vacuum sources. It'll choose the best vacuum source for the oil catch can."

Whether any of you agree with that assessment, that's up to you--I'm no OCC engineer so I can't prove or disprove his claim.

#12 ·
I'm guessing maybe the OCC to air intake tube connection (with one-way check valve) is to introduce vacuum for when engine is at or near WOT; this is what I imagine the ADD engineers are banking on to ensure that a ton of blowby doesn't escape via the valve cover opening (back or side, depending on which 2.0T engine is in your Optima) when at/near WOT, and the breather filter element dongle at the valve cover is simply a just-in-case catch-all in case a bit of blowby still manages to escape from the valve cover.

If you think about it--if the reasoning for why a dual-inlet OCC like the V3.3 is beneficial is so that it can catch blowby from both PCV and valve cover, then you'd think they would have run the second inlet vacuum hose from the valve cover to the OCC as well, but clearly such is not the case here with the ADD V3.3--they are counting on the two check valves to ensure that the majority of blowby under all throttle conditions exits through the PCV to the OCC...at least that's my theory on how the V3.3 works.

#13 · (Edited)
Just to add, the PCV valve is fully opened at wide open throttle.... It can't open any more to have the additional buildup of dirty air exit through the PCV valve, even if there were 5 hoses from the occ. The pressure builds and only place for it to go is into the intake tube or out the vc filter, if there is one.

#14 ·
Drives me nuts that no printed definition of WOT states WHERE the gas pedal Can Be to achieve WOT.
1st instinct is - pedal "floored" all the way - But I'm thinking That is Not the Only way. True?

#15 ·
Good morning and something to research while being confined, so:

Accelerator Position Sensor (APS)
▷ Type: Variable resistor type
▷ Specification

Output Voltage (V)
Accelerator
Position

APS1​
APS2
C.T
0.7 ~ 0.8
0.29 ~ 0.46
W.O.T
3.85 ~ 4.35
1.93 ~ 2.18​

There is redundant info so as no interruption of signal if one for some reason ceases. At home one could determine accelerator position while checking the particular sensor.
There is also specifications for pedal angle with vout/vin percentage- WOT 106 degrees.

Hope this helps.

#16 ·
FWIW: Check out GDI_Tech (I think that was his handle) in the these forums of the past. Very good and what I would consider accurate information on all of this.

#17 ·

Surely it's this thread ....

#20 ·
I'm not gonna remember (or go back and reread) this thread from a few years ago but I wonder if that comment was about the case when under significant boost with WOT (say ~20PSI), the PCV would have to be closed assuming the blowby in the crankcase is at a much lower pressure (and has the "clean air" side of the valve cover to escape out of in that condition)? Remember, the PCV in our 2.0L is a one-way valve (directional).

#22 ·
Notwithstanding that the PCV in our cars (or in the 2.0T) is a one-way valve--wouldn't the fact that at WOT there is very little to no vacuum in the intake manifold a bigger factor in which port blowby evacuates from the valve cover? I mean, blowby isn't evacuating throught the PCV if there is no vacuum from the intake manifold regardless of whether the PCV is open or closed (or, whether it's a one-way or two-way valve)...no?

#23 ·
My understanding is that under significant boost, the PCV circuit is basically stopped due to the PCV valve. There is no flow. So in the OEM case with the "fresh air" side of the valve cover being hooked to the turbo upstream side near the air filter and it is getting some vacuum from the turbo sucking in air, that blow-by from the valve cover can vent back into the clean air side - just where you don't want it - and coating your turbo and intercooler with that oily mist. That was why there was a second OCC on this side of that route as well as one on the PCV side. That was the theory anyway for the product I purchased made for my car (see signature line). My observation is that while I get ~2oz of gunkly fluid (heavy smell of gas) in the PCV side OCC between OCIs, I have NEVER gotten anything on the "clean" air side nor have I ever seen any oily residue in my Injen Short-ram that has this connection to the "clean" side route. Hence, why I don't recommend spending the money on that type of system.

#25 ·
No, I've kept it on since I paid for it and installed it several years back. I just know it really won't pick anything up but "just in case"...

Cool thing was when my engine was replaced by Kia in Dec 2018 under warranty, they correctly moved all my aftermarket parts over for me. I'm just leaving it be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.