Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks ago I was looking around for information on how i would install illuminated door sills on my 2012 Optima EX and i found a few threads here and there explaining a little bit here or there. A few times there were explanations but no pictures and that always got me a little annoyed. So I finally got a lot of information together and thanks to PRO1024 for the illuminated K5 door sills. so here we go.

Things needed for this mod:
  1. Soldering Iron
  2. Speaker wire (can be from 18-22 Gauge wire)
  3. Interior remover tools
  4. Quick Splice connectors
  5. Spade Connectors
  6. Heat shrink
  7. Screwdriver
  8. Multimeter
  9. Illuminated door sill (KIA / K5)
So first i received my illuminated door sills

This is the switch the OEM product comes with and the SX model has a plug for this under the door sill but since EX and LX owners dont have it soooo.... we cut em ->

Cut the wires, soldered and heatshrinked

and then we move to the car. This is what the normal bland looking ones look like:

using the interior remover tools you can pull these off and you see these cables:

(please ignore the second tap it was a mistake) using the Quick splice connectors you tap in to the peach colored wire on the driver side and on the passenger side it will be a blue wire.

This is what the Quick splices you can get from radio shack and they come with the spade connectors. once you have this tapped in to you can verify it is the correct splice by using your multimeter to check voltage between the spliced connection and the black screw below:

if the multimeter reads 12 Volts give or take .15 volts this is the correct connection. connect the spade connector to red (+ve wire) to the spliced wire and then take the black (-ve wire) up to this switch like below

remove the switch with a screwdriver

once you have fished the black wire up to the switch, twist the wire as thin as possible and shove the wire in. With a 18 gauge wire it gets stuck in there and takes a decent tug for it to come out. This is how it looks:

once done push back in to door and screw back in and everything should be working like below

and if the door is closed or the switch is pressed:

Just repeat the same steps for the passenger side and you should have two awesome looking door sills :cool:

If you have any questions please let me know ill do my best to answer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks good omaryunus,
Sorry I didn't get back to you, I haven't been back into the forum for several weeks. I think you posted the first true pictures on the forum of what these look like lit up. I felt guilty about pitching my perfectly good 'base' door sills.

·
Registered
194 Posts
This mod is on my list!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good omaryunus,
Sorry I didn't get back to you, I haven't been back into the forum for several weeks. I think you posted the first true pictures on the forum of what these look like lit up. I felt guilty about pitching my perfectly good 'base' door sills.
hehe i know the feeling.. that's why i kept mine in storage :p and thanks for the help it was you and a few others that gave tid bits of information and i just pieced it together

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Can't believe I ran across this as I was just asking about it the other day... Thanks as this is something I would like to add to my EX down the road!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good write up, and walk thru, thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
163 Posts
Old thread I know, but just wanted to share my experience with this mod over the weekend.

First thing. On the drivers side, there are 2 peach colored wires. What is not mentioned above, is that the door switch NEEDS to be screwed back in with the negative wire connected in order to create the ground needed with the screw. With the door switch just hanging out, one peach wire will show 12v with the multi-meter. The other will not. This is NOT the wire you want to tap in too. Screwing the door switch back in and creating the ground will now show the OTHER peach wire having 12v with the multi-meter. That is the correct wire.

Second thing. The above mentions a blue wire for the passenger side. There were 5 blue wires on my 2015 LX. Only one showed 12v with the multi-meter. However, when I put it all back together, it only gets 12v when the door is open and LOCKED. Not UNLOCKED, ergh... So after taking it all back apart, unwrapping my tape and taking off the shrink wraps, and tapping into 7 other wires, the correct colored wire is PEACH, same as the driver side. Hope this helps someone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts