Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I made a video on how to install a catch can on the 2.0T engines. It would also work for a 2.4L since the pcv valve is in a similar location. Also, applicable to Hyundai Sonata 2.0L and 2.4L engines.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck. Also, click the ads in the video, I would appreciate it.:D

FYI This is a UPR catch can. Got it from this site (Mustang Parts & Performance - UPR Products) I had it on my 2011 F150 5.0L. I had to change the barb fittings from 5/8" to 3/8" to fit the 2.0L PCV lines. an easy swap and cost about $5 for the new fittings. It is a fully filtered can, so it will catch the oil and then drain it to the bottom better than most eBay catch cans, which tend to be unfiltered.

Also Thanks to securityguy and typhoon yoda, we will be having a Optima specific can made. Hopefully one that will filter the PCV system and the crankcase vent system to keep oil out of the intake manifold, and the inter-cooler. Stay tuned!

Optima Catch Can.mov - YouTube

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hey guys, I made a video on how to install a catch can on the 2.0T engines. It would also work for a 2.4L since the pcv valve is in a similar location.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck.

Optima Catch Can.mov - YouTube
Nice vid, got the Hybrid may do this myself. Not sure yet as my engine isnt on as much as a typical vehicle :p

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How often are you having to empty the can so far?
Idk yet, I just installed it last night when I made this video. lol. The car only has 250 miles on it.

My last vehicle went about 500 or miles and collected about 2 table spoons of oil in the can. so after about 3000 miles it would probably have about 12 table spoons or so of oil in it, give or take a bit.

Depending on the size of the can installed, emptying it with every oil change is sufficient. every 1500 miles if you want.

·
Registered
266 Posts
So what is the ID of the hose for the 2.0T PCV?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where did you purchase the can?
The can is actually a UPR catch can, it was meant for a 2011 F150 or 2011 Mustang with the 5.0L V8 (that was the engine I used the can on before). That is why I had to change the size of the barb nozels to 3/8" outlets. They were 5/8" for the Ford. UPR makes products specifically for ford I believe. Its not the cheapest catch can out there, i think it was around 100 bucks. But its shiny and nice looking lol.

So what is the ID of the hose for the 2.0T PCV?
It is 3/8"

·
01/2012 ROTM
2,432 Posts
Nice and very simple mod:) Actually saw one for the Optima on eBay for under $50 but know nothing about them.

So, as many can see from my handle, I am electronics guy and not a mechanic. What is the purpose and real advantage to this mod in non-mechanic speak:confused:

What would one expect to see or not see by making this mod:confused:

Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-X2-5-Aluminum-Engine-Oil-Catch-Reservior-Can-Tank-/260830689570?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AKia%7CModel%3AOptima&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cbab87922

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Turbo-E...:Kia|Model:Optima&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f0c85a719

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-CARBON-...:Kia|Model:Optima&vxp=mtr&hash=item2eb8ae5d29

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The purpose of the can is to catch oil vapor going thru the PCV valve. The PCV valve is designed to open up when the vacuum changes in the engine. So when its open it allows oil vapor to pass thru the line. The pcv is situated on the crank case, and it flows back to the intake. So the idea is the vapors passing thru it get burned off in the intake.

This causes the carbon buildup on engine valves and injectors. So adding the catch can catches the oil vapor, so that clean air is going back into the intake. This will reduce the amount of build up in the engine, prolonging its life.

Injector cleanings are still recommended as a secondary method to prevent carbon build up.

Hope that helps.

This mod really doesn't alter performance or mileage. just keeps your engine running cleaner for longer.

·
01/2012 ROTM
2,432 Posts
Thanks fondu...I greatly appreciate the insight! What do you think of the eBay ones?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks fondu...I greatly appreciate the insight! What do you think of the eBay ones?
They will work. Honestly the only factor i would be concerned about is rusting of the exterior of the can. The UPR one I have is billet aluminum. won't rust.

From the car forums i have been on, the top gear heads have always shied away from the ebay cans. I personally have no experience with an ebay can. mind have always been specialty brands.

·
01/2012 ROTM
2,432 Posts
Thanks...they each say they are all made from T6061 aluminum so shouldn't rust but I don't know enough about AL to know if T6061 is good or not:(

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
They will work. Honestly the only factor i would be concerned about is rusting of the exterior of the can. The UPR one I have is billet aluminum. won't rust.

From the car forums i have been on, the top gear heads have always shied away from the ebay cans. I personally have no experience with an ebay can. mind have always been specialty brands.
Have you ever used VMS racing parts? Seems they have a reasonably priced catch can:

Amazon.com: Universal Oil Catch Can Kit Black: Automotive

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How does the UPR drain the oil? It looks like the picture shows a seam around the circumference of the can, does the can screw off on the bottom end?
the bottom part unscrews. its pretty easy to do.

Ive had cans with valves on the bottom, but after a while the valves just seem to leak.

And ive never tried that one.

·
01/2012 ROTM
2,432 Posts
1 - 20 of 304 Posts