Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted some protection for my doors from getting those dreaded door dings.

I saw several members on this forum with these body colored door moldings that look OEM, that they purchased from Aftermarket Automotive Accessories | Sportwing.com So, I knew when I purchased my Optima that I would order a set of door moldings ASAP in the color of the car.

Order Page:
2011 2012 KIA Optima Body Side Molding | Sportwing.com | Auto Body & Car Molding

I ordered a set of door moldings in Snow White Pearl. They arrived at my house in less than a week in a very sturdy cardboard tube. They were in a nylon sock inside the tube to protect the paint. The paint matches perfectly to the factory paint job.

Contents:
  • Four pieces of door moldings
  • Two packets of alcohol wipes
  • One crush tube of adhesive primer
  • A single page of detailed instructions

The installation process is super easy. They give you dimensions to measure from the bottom of the doors and the proper spacing from the edges of the door. You then run a tape line from each door, to act as a guide line for installation of the moldings. I did an additional tape line just below the guide line. I did this to stop any primer fluid from dripping down the door, as the primer may dull the clear coat of the paint.

You then just clean the painted surface below the guide line. Apply the adhesive primer from the guide line to about an 1" below the guide line. Select the appropriate moldings to apply to the door, all four are cut differently and go onto a specific door. The longest side of the molding is the TOP for each of the doors. Peel the the backing from the 3M molding tape from the smallest tape section, then peel the corner of the long tape. Peel just enough so that you can pull the backing as you apply the molding to the door. Use the tape line as guide and press the molding onto the door. Repeat for each of the doors.

I recommend that you tape both sides of the door, clean the surfaces between the tape lines before breaking the primer capsule and applying the primer. I was worried that once you broke the capsule for the primer that it might evaporate before you got to the other side of the door, when you applied the moldings to one side of the car.

Super easy mod, and I feel the video may get more of you to do the same to your Optimas.

Difficulty Level is only two stars out of five. Because there is some preparation to do it right.

My brother was a big help, he helped with the installation, recorded the video, and edited the video from his iPhone 4S. The music is just one of the default music in the video editor on the iPhone.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Nice work, looks great. Might take a whack at this with a Carbon Fiber trim.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Redhorse - Nice job. I did this as well, with the Sportwing product. Security Guy turned me on to it via a post that he did some time ago.

Don't forget to mention that you need to have the proper air temperature to make sure they stick. I think it is 70 deg F. I did mine when it was about 45 deg F, but I used a hair dryer to warm up the vehicle after pulling it into an unheated garage. I took a risk there, but they are still stuck on the doors. Sportwing has a nice product. Matches the paint to a T. Just get your color code off you door placard and look it up on there website.

·
08/2012 ROTM
1,622 Posts
Nice video, great write up.

Personally I don't see the point though with all varying heights of cars and shapes of both other doors and the optima's doors it seems like the probability of someone's door hitting right where you put that strip is low which is why a lot of manufacturers have stopped supplying them, or will add them later if requested. Just thinks it ruins the look of the car but to each his own, hopefully they never get used.

·
Registered
314 Posts
IMG_1113.jpg

Nice video but could have done w/o the music :). I added the exact same door moldings to my SWP SX too. Very good product and very easy to install. Contrary to what you might think, they do protect the doors. Apparently that is why they select that specific location for installation. I did the same on my new Prius in '05 and do not have single door ding but do have several marks on the moldings. They did their job and were well worth it. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Great tips Redhorse and nice write up ! I probably wouldn't be able to do this because I'll never find the same color as my car or anything that would look good against it. It just one bad part of picking an off color like dark cherry.

·
01/2012 ROTM
2,434 Posts
Nice to see that folks are taking my lead and using this great product. It actually does protect very well and I think it looks nice too:smile:

Great installation video Red!

156.JPG.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
1,567 Posts
Great tips Redhorse and nice write up ! I probably wouldn't be able to do this because I'll never find the same color as my car or anything that would look good against it. It just one bad part of picking an off color like dark cherry.
Don't give up so quick. Follow the OP's link in the first post and you will see that they offer the molding/moulding in your paint code (IR Dark Cherry).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Robbtemp - Good point but I'll have to call them to confirm. I see they actually do have something similar but it's described as Dark Cherry Pearl. Thanks for the Tip

·
Registered
233 Posts
I wanted some protection for my doors from getting those dreaded door dings.

I saw several members on this forum with these body colored door moldings that look OEM, that they purchased from Aftermarket Automotive Accessories | Sportwing.com So, I knew when I purchased my Optima that I would order a set of door moldings ASAP in the color of the car.

Order Page:
2011 2012 KIA Optima Body Side Molding | Sportwing.com | Auto Body & Car Molding

I ordered a set of door moldings in Snow White Pearl. They arrived at my house in less than a week in a very sturdy cardboard tube. They were in a nylon sock inside the tube to protect the paint. The paint matches perfectly to the factory paint job.

Contents:
  • Four pieces of door moldings
  • Two packets of alcohol wipes
  • One crush tube of adhesive primer
  • A single page of detailed instructions

The installation process is super easy. They give you dimensions to measure from the bottom of the doors and the proper spacing from the edges of the door. You then run a tape line from each door, to act as a guide line for installation of the moldings. I did an additional tape line just below the guide line. I did this to stop any primer fluid from dripping down the door, as the primer may dull the clear coat of the paint.

You then just clean the painted surface below the guide line. Apply the adhesive primer from the guide line to about an 1" below the guide line. Select the appropriate moldings to apply to the door, all four are cut differently and go onto a specific door. The longest side of the molding is the TOP for each of the doors. Peel the the backing from the 3M molding tape from the smallest tape section, then peel the corner of the long tape. Peel just enough so that you can pull the backing as you apply the molding to the door. Use the tape line as guide and press the molding onto the door. Repeat for each of the doors.

I recommend that you tape both sides of the door, clean the surfaces between the tape lines before breaking the primer capsule and applying the primer. I was worried that once you broke the capsule for the primer that it might evaporate before you got to the other side of the door, when you applied the moldings to one side of the car.

Super easy mod, and I feel the video may get more of you to do the same to your Optimas.

Difficulty Level is only two stars out of five. Because there is some preparation to do it right.

My brother was a big help, he helped with the installation, recorded the video, and edited the video from his iPhone 4S. The music is just one of the default music in the video editor on the iPhone.
Wow Redhorse ! I ordered a set of door guards from Aftermarket Automotive Accessories | Sportwing.com as you suggested and boy do they do a professional job. The door guards they sent me were delivered in a flash and were truly expertly packed to ensure they didn't arrive damaged. High hopes the installs go well but I might have a body shop do them for me instead. Thanks for the suggestion. Frank

·
Registered
233 Posts
Had my Sportwing 3M door guards installed today at my local body shop. Cost me $77 to have them installed and they look great. Now maybe I won't be as worried when using an occasional parking lot. I just didn't have the time and I wanted them on for the weekend.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Nice video, great write up.

Personally I don't see the point though with all varying heights of cars and shapes of both other doors and the optima's doors it seems like the probability of someone's door hitting right where you put that strip is low which is why a lot of manufacturers have stopped supplying them, or will add them later if requested. Just thinks it ruins the look of the car but to each his own, hopefully they never get used.
Exactly my thought too. Now if every car had door edge trim/molding installed, that would really help. I've installed it on my cars to prevent garage parking incidents.

·
Registered
375 Posts
just put these on today. looks good and the paint match was perfect.

the only thing I wish that was different was on the back door. I'd like for it to have been 3-4" longer

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just ordered mine yesterday and they are on the way. Great video. I should have mine on by Friday. LOL
Mine is also a SWP love the car.....

Yup, got em today, installed and look great.. I love it.....

·
Registered
243 Posts
just put these on today. looks good and the paint match was perfect.

the only thing I wish that was different was on the back door. I'd like for it to have been 3-4" longer
Thought the same thing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
SportWings installed. Thanks for the video Frankie. This was MUCH faster than the install on my truck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts