Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Any way to tap into the switches that only lite up when you turn your headlights on??
No idea. You would have to use a voltmeter to test the door wiring harness and see if there's one that is only active with the headlights. It's not that big of a deal though, they're not distracting.

·
Registered
194 Posts
So if you have the power seat memory buttons, you can tap into the red wire (power) and the black with dark blue stripe (neg). Works great!!!

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,437 Posts
Any way to tap into the switches that only lite up when you turn your headlights on??
Can also tap into the main door harness. The thin blue wire turns on when lights turn on.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
313 Posts
What I meant was is there an alternate set of wires to attach the setup to, that will then make them dimmable, just like the other lights in the control panel, and instrument cluster?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,222 Posts
I just did this mod today, but it is too bright. Which wires should I tap into to gain dimming control over these lights?
Very interesting, I noticed you posted this same thing about the cupholder LEDs. We have never had anyone say either were "too bright" before, guess there is a first for everything though.

You can add a resistor.
Yes this would be the easiest way to accomplish this.

What I meant was is there an alternate set of wires to attach the setup to, that will then make them dimmable, just like the other lights in the control panel, and instrument cluster?
No there is not that I am aware of, I would recommend using a resistor to dim down the brightness if you felt it was too bright.

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You would have to find something that dimmed with the interior light dimmer, and tap into the positive wire for that.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
313 Posts
UPDATE: I found that if you install a 47K Ohm resistor on the negative side of the circuit, you can bring the brightness of the buttons down to almost exactly the same as all the other console buttons.

I have my circuit rigged using the Blue Wire option from earlier in the thread, with the lights for both buttons wired in parallel off a short pair of leg wires. I cut the negative leg wire, and installed the resistor on that side.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Install : Kia Optima OEM LED Trunk & Fuel Door Buttons

UPDATE: I found that if you install a 47K Ohm resistor on the negative side of the circuit, you can bring the brightness of the buttons down to almost exactly the same as all the other console buttons.

I have my circuit rigged using the Blue Wire option from earlier in the thread, with the lights for both buttons wired in parallel off a short pair of leg wires. I cut the negative leg wire, and installed the resistor on that side.
Awesome indeed but like David mentioned, you're the first member ever to say that these are bright lol but there's always a first for everything is right. Glad you're able to dim them down, guess you won't be upgrading the mood lights then cuz that thing will blind you lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
how did you guys get the clip off of the fuel & trunk buttons? I can't get them to come out :(

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
I'm pretty much at the first major step of trying to get the factory buttons off.
I couldn't get the black backing plates for fuel/trunk off of the door panel... I see two black plastic tabs that needs to be pushed to come off BUT i can't seem to get them pushed in for me to take it out no matter what i do...

21 - 38 of 38 Posts