Kia Optima Forums banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
01/2015 ROTM, 05/2015 ROTM
2013 Optima 2013 SXL
1,136 Posts
Just now installing on my 2013, seems some of the wires shown on the 2013 diagram are not the same color on my vehicle. Am I to connect to the wire coming from the pin location shown in the diagram (even though the wire color may not be that shown) or find the right color wire in the harness and tap into that ??

·
Registered
2015 Kia 2015 Optima EX
77 Posts
Thanks so much for posting this. About how many posi-tap connectors do you think would be necessary for this? Less than 40?

·
2013 Optima 2013 SXL
1,136 Posts
Thanks so much for posting this. About how many posi-tap connectors do you think would be necessary for this? Less than 40?
If I remember correctly, there are 18 connections needed (including the sunroof if you have it)...so a pack of 20 will do it !

·
2013 Optima 2013 SXL
1,136 Posts
I'm having a problem. What is more accurate, Pin position, or wire colour?
for the sunroof connection, the pink wire in my car, is not at the same pin, the diagram says it is.
Does anybody have a factory diagram?
PIN POSITION........wire colors can be different.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
421 Posts
PIN POSITION........wire colors can be different.
Okay, thank you very much.
Really, really important question. What is the diagram showing me. Wire side of the connector, or the pin sides?

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Has anybody installed this on a 2011 SX Korean built?
Not once, has a wire colour matched up. Not only that. My Pins don't match the connector

For example connector EM61. Grey wire to pin #6
Looking at the diagram. left to right 8, 7, 6, 5
My connector: 8, 7, no pin, no pin

So my problem, these pins don't exist on my harness..

Oh, and yes, I'm looking at the correct pdf.

I've noticed, that even though the connectors are the same, the pin layouts differ.
perhaps my car has a different harness altogether.
Because, a lot of the pin layouts don't match. I have empty pins, where there should be, and vice-versa

Edit:
I can confirm 2 things:
I have a different pin layout on some of the connectors, than what is shown in the wiring diagram.
As well, the location of the connectors on the fuse box is different. The white connector, is not on the back, but the front.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Okay, here's the thing.
On the back of the fuse panel.
There are 2 connectors. Both of them are exactly the same size, the same colour, the same shape.
IP-E - so which one, is which. They are both exactly the same.
IP-G -white, is actually on the front.

So my car does not match up

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Everything is installed, however nothing works. none of the k50s functions work at all.

I know something is connected wrong, but since my pins don't match on some of the connectors, I don't even know how to trouble shoot it.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

So I had to give up. Everything is installed, however nothing works. Doors won't unlock if I touch the handle anymore, none of the k50s functions work at all.

I know something is connected wrong, but since my pins don't match on some of the connectors, I don't even know how to trouble shoot it.

Canbus is correct, doors lock/unlock when connected.
Sunroof auto-closes when car is shut off.

Car will not remote start
Sunroof will not operate on remote
Doors will not unlock, even if using button on handle, have to use remote to unlock doors now.

I disconnected for now.. too tired, will have to take another look, another day.

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Okay, thank you very much.
Really, really important question. What is the diagram showing me. Wire side of the connector, or the pin sides?

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Has anybody installed this on a 2011 SX Korean built?
Not once, has a wire colour matched up. Not only that. My Pins don't match the connector

For example connector EM61. Grey wire to pin #6
Looking at the diagram. left to right 8, 7, 6, 5
My connector: 8, 7, no pin, no pin

So my problem, these pins don't exist on my harness..

Oh, and yes, I'm looking at the correct pdf.

I've noticed, that even though the connectors are the same, the pin layouts differ.
perhaps my car has a different harness altogether.
Because, a lot of the pin layouts don't match. I have empty pins, where there should be, and vice-versa

Edit:
I can confirm 2 things:
I have a different pin layout on some of the connectors, than what is shown in the wiring diagram.
As well, the location of the connectors on the fuse box is different. The white connector, is not on the back, but the front.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Okay, here's the thing.
On the back of the fuse panel.
There are 2 connectors. Both of them are exactly the same size, the same colour, the same shape.
IP-E - so which one, is which. They are both exactly the same.
IP-G -white, is actually on the front.

So my car does not match up

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Everything is installed, however nothing works. none of the k50s functions work at all.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

So I had to give up. Everything is installed, however nothing works. Doors won't unlock if I touch the handle anymore, none of the k50s functions work at all.

Canbus is correct, doors lock/unlock when connected.
Sunroof auto-closes when car is shut off.

Car will not remote start
Sunroof will not operate on remote
Doors will not unlock, even if using button on handle, have to use remote to unlock doors now.

I disconnected for now.. too tired, will have to take another look, another day.
I'll PM you, I just installed one on my 2011 Korean built SX.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima LX
38 Posts
I'm curious, is this just so you can access the CAN buss remotely? Why would you have to wire into the cars harness, except for something that isn't already controlled by CAN?

Something like this? Hacking into a Vehicle CAN bus (Toyothack and SocketCAN) | fabiobaltieri

I'm still new to "modern cars", so I'm learning. I am an Engineer though, so I use CAN every day at work. Might just see about using a ODBII dongle and an android app, or Windows code and wired connection.

What does this device do that I'm not aware of?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I'm curious, is this just so you can access the CAN buss remotely? Why would you have to wire into the cars harness, except for something that isn't already controlled by CAN?

Something like this? Hacking into a Vehicle CAN bus (Toyothack and SocketCAN) | fabiobaltieri

I'm still new to "modern cars", so I'm learning. I am an Engineer though, so I use CAN every day at work. Might just see about using a ODBII dongle and an android app, or Windows code and wired connection.

Thanks,

Tim
This device integrates into our current CAN system and sends the signals that otherwise aren't available from factory.

Example - If we walk way from our stock car, and don't lock it, it stays unlocked. The CCM waits until the smart key is no longer in range, and then sends a signal to lock the door over the CAN network.

Make sense?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima 2016 Kia Optima SXL
76 Posts
Any recommendations as where to have this installed at? lol... There is no way I can do this... Located in southern mississippi..

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,408 Posts

Thanks,

Tim
This device integrates into our current CAN system and sends the signals that otherwise aren't available from factory.

Example - If we walk way from our stock car, and don't lock it, it stays unlocked. The CCM waits until the smart key is no longer in range, and then sends a signal to lock the door over the CAN network.

Make sense?
Great reply Munky, I agree this is one of many functions that this product does.

Lostviking, you can read all about the product if you haven't seen it already and how it functions in our thread here on the forum found below:

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/121-k5-optima-store/98434-k5os-canbus-control-module-k5-optima-store.html

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima LX
38 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
102 Posts
So I'm not sure where to ask this but I'm working on the install now in my 2013 SXL.

I am having issues the with the MF61 and the EM61 being different on my vehicle much like some of the other people.

I can't find a wiring diagram to figure out which wires I need to connect here so I'm at a stand still.

Has anyone done this on a 2013 SXL?

I'm not going to start guessing which wire is which so any help would be appreciated.

EDIT:

So after trying to work ahead while waiting on the passenger side I found out the drivers side connector is different as well so I'm just going to stop here after only installing the sunroof wires.

If anyone has done this install on a 2013 themselves or know the correct pin locations for a 13 SXL that would be great.

Or if anyone has the wiring diagrams for the 13' SXL that would work too

Feel like I wasted a day hoping this DIY would apply to my model but that's my own stupidity.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,408 Posts
So I'm not sure where to ask this but I'm working on the install now in my 2013 SXL.

I am having issues the with the MF61 and the EM61 being different on my vehicle much like some of the other people.

I can't find a wiring diagram to figure out which wires I need to connect here so I'm at a stand still.

Has anyone done this on a 2013 SXL?

I'm not going to start guessing which wire is which so any help would be appreciated.

EDIT:

So after trying to work ahead while waiting on the passenger side I found out the drivers side connector is different as well so I'm just going to stop here after only installing the sunroof wires.

If anyone has done this install on a 2013 themselves or know the correct pin locations for a 13 SXL that would be great.

Or if anyone has the wiring diagrams for the 13' SXL that would work too

Feel like I wasted a day hoping this DIY would apply to my model but that's my own stupidity.
Which wiring diagram are you using for the installation?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
102 Posts

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,408 Posts
I have no diagrams. I was following this write up
Well that would most likely be the problem then. This write up is on the 2015 SXL model. You have a 2013 SXL model. The 2011-2013 K5 and the 2014-2015 New K5 are completely different wiring diagrams.

There is an extremely detailed knowledge base on our site with over a dozen pages which include wiring diagrams for each vehicle models and years. You need to visit our website to the product page you ordered the item from to view those installation instructions and programming instructions.

All of these links are found on the product page by clicking to enter the "Knowledge Base"

1. Firmware Selection Page - K5 Optima Store

2. Vehicle Selection Page - K5 Optima Store

3. Programming Instructions Page - K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
102 Posts
Thank you. For some reason when I was trying to navigate on the site I kept ending up back at the pdf for the 2015 install.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,408 Posts
Thank you. For some reason when I was trying to navigate on the site I kept ending up back at the pdf for the 2015 install.
You're welcome. Also make sure to follow the dip switch settings that came with the canbus module in the packaging, not what the wiring diagram shows on our site.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts