Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
12 Posts
Munky

Nice write up! Only wish it was up before I installed my canbus system. I agree, this is not a job for a weekend tinker, unless you have some automotive wiring knowledge. After installing, mine works like a charm.

Did you try to get this gray safety clip that you cut when removing the A Pillar cover at the dealer? (IMG1 & IMG2)
I did get mine removed, but it was not reuseable when reinstalling the trim cover. I did leave it off for now.

If you did try, were you able to get it. And what was the official name for it.

·
Vendor
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts
The clip they are referring to I believe is the clip that holds the cover from flying if that airbag goes off. The other clips stay intact that hold the cover back on.

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Munky

Nice write up! Only wish it was up before I installed my canbus system. I agree, this is not a job for a weekend tinker, unless you have some automotive wiring knowledge. After installing, mine works like a charm.

Did you try to get this gray safety clip that you cut when removing the A Pillar cover at the dealer? (IMG1 & IMG2)
I did get mine removed, but it was not reuseable when reinstalling the trim cover. I did leave it off for now.

If you did try, were you able to get it. And what was the official name for it.
Don't know the official name for it, sorry. We didn't get a replacement, no.

So, if you can't remove the pillar cover without cutting these clips, how do you get to the clips, to cut them in the first place? :\

Also, if the clips are destroyed, what is holding the cover on?
There are two blue circular clips holding the pillar cover on, seen in IMG 02, and a grey retaining clip that stops it from flying off in case of airbag deployment.

The clip they are referring to I believe is the clip that holds the cover from flying if that airbag goes off. The other clips stay intact that hold the cover back on.
Correct

----

bclarke PM'd me and told me if you grab the gray retaining clip with pliers and turn it a 1/4 turn it should come loose. I can't verify this myself, but I'll add it to the instructions up top!

·
Registered
'13 SX-T Prem/Tech
837 Posts
Wowsers, Munk! Thanks bro! I will get my friend who is pro to do it. And buying from K5OS soon.

·
Registered
119 Posts
what have i gotten myself into... lol. i wonder how long it would take a professional to install this. my optima is my only car so i cant really be without it..

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,490 Posts
Any video of this yet?
Too time consuming for a video. It'd be like watching two of the three Lord of the Rings movies beck to back! Haha

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

what have i gotten myself into... lol. i wonder how long it would take a professional to install this. my optima is my only car so i cant really be without it..
I'd guess by what people have said, you'd be looking at a full afternoon easy

·
Registered
140 Posts
Install DIY is live! Good luck, everyone!

Feel free to reply here or PM me if you have any questions or issues and I'll do my best to help.
Really nice DIY!! Congratulations Munky!!
:thumbsup:

I don,T know if I have the balls to do it....
But it's a nice add for the car!

Nice product also! Tks K5 Optima Store!
****, this forum IS dangerous!! Too much mods to doooo......
:willynilly:

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
28,936 Posts
Any video of this yet?
Video of the installation, or of the product functions?

A professional shop should be able to complete the install in about 4-6 hours. Really depends on the experience of the installer.

Too time consuming for a video. It'd be like watching two of the three Lord of the Rings movies beck to back! Haha
:iagree:

Really nice DIY!! Congratulations Munky!! :thumbsup:
I think so too. :)

I don,T know if I have the balls to do it.... But it's a nice add for the car!
I definitely do not. At least not on my own.

Nice product also! Tks K5 Optima Store! ****, this forum IS dangerous!! Too much mods to doooo...... :willynilly:
You're welcome, yes this is very true! :grin:

21 - 40 of 86 Posts