Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me start by saying this : This is NOT an easy install. If you're not comfortable doing wiring work, do not attempt this install.

Professional Installation is STRONGLY Recommended!

Estimated install time is based on your level of experience and confidence. This can easily take anywhere from 4 to 8 hours if you include the sunroof. It took stephen44 and I a total of about 20 hours, due to us mixing up the CANBUS wires and subsequent troubleshooting until we figured it out. Also, I documented everything to make this DIY. So plan accordingly! You'll need some time!

---------------------------------------------------------

Tools/accessories you will need:

K5OS CCM (Obviously) - http://www.k5optimastore.com/collections/new-products/products/k5os-canbus-control-module
Philips screwdriver
Wire stripper
Heat shrink
Electrical tape/velcro
Zip ties
Soldering iron w/solder
Sidecuts
Trim panel removal tools

Optional tools:

Posi-taps

This install took place on a 2015 model, also referred to as "New K5" on the install documents for this product.

The diagram is below, as well as the order of the harnesses detailed in this DIY.

PHASE 1 : SUNROOF HARNESS
- 5 wires, 5/5 used

If you aren't installing the sunroof function, skip to IMG 04.

To start, you'll need to remove the A-pillar cover.
The pillar is held in place by a gray safety clip, and we couldn't find a way to remove it so we cut it.

See IMG 01, A and IMG 02, A

UPDATE: The gray retaining clip can be removed by grabbing with needle-nosed pliers and turning it 90° - No need to cut!

IMG 01, B is the harness you will tap into, more in IMG 19.

Keep your wiring diagram handy!

Remove the plastic panels covering the wire harnesses.

IMG 04, A is where the hood latch is located. Try finding a small socket to go over the 4 prongs holding it in to pop the handle off.
IMG 04, B is where you have to remove the small plastic screw holding it in place.
Pull up on the door sills to remove the panel completely.

IMG 05, A is the harness you will tap into on the driver's side : EM11
IMG 05, B is the tab to release the wiring harness once you need to take it out

IMG 06, A is the plastic screw on the passenger side

IMG 07 - Remove the **** skin pad :lol:

IMG 08, A and B are the two harnesses you will tap into on the passenger side : MF61 (A) and EM61 (B)

IMG 09 : Remove the side panel so you can remove the plastic panel under the steering wheel

IMG 10 : Plastic panel under steering wheel removed

If you are not installing the sunroof function, or you do not have a sunroof, you can now skip to PHASE 2.

IMG 11, A - Remove these two screws to remove the sunroof switch/dome light assembly. Once they are removed, open the sunglass holder and pull down from the sunglass holder itself. (IMG 12)

Be sure you keep track of the small white anchors in IMG 13. We had one come out and had to put it on the screw before putting the sunroof switch/map light assembly back in.

IMG 14 - putting small strips of heatshrink around the wire harness helps you run the wires a little easier.

IMG 15, IMG 16, IMG 17, IMG 18 - Running the wire harness. Start from the top down, let gravity do the work.

Time to cut your first wire!

IMG 19 - Connection #1 will be in this pink wire.The sunroof diode (IMG 20) will go in between these wires (IMG 22, A), and the brown wire from the sunroof harness will be tapped in as well.

IMG 23 - Diode installed

IMG 24 - Connection #2 - in the sunroof switch harness

IMG 25 - Connection #2 complete

IMG 26 - Connections #3, #4, and #5

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
PHASE 2 : HARNESS #2 - 11 wires, 8/11 used

IMG 27, A and B - The two harnesses you'll tap into first.
IMG 27, C is the brown wire from HARNESS #2. IMG 27, D is the gray wire from HARNESS #2.

You'll need to run these two wires over to the passenger side behind the center console. There will be just enough slack to leave the remaining wires on the drivers side to the left of the gas pedal.

TIP: Unbend a coat hanger, tape the wires to the end, and feed them through behind the center console

IMG 28, A - Connection #6

IMG 29, A - Connection #7

IMG 30, A - Simply cutting and twisting/soldering the wires wont work, as it will put a lot more tension on the wire. So we added small lengths of wire to relieve the tension. (IMG 31, A)

IMG 31, A Connection #8

IMG 32 - Connections #9 and #10

IMG 33 - Connections #11 and #12 - These two tap into the smart button harness to the right of the steering wheel.

IMG 34 - Remove the internal fuse panel by removing the 3 x 10MM bolts shown (A) and pull it down to gain access to the back

IMG 35, IMG 36 - This is the next harness you will tap into

IMG 37 - Connection #13

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
PHASE 3 - HARNESS #3 - CANBUS Communication - 2 wires, 2/2 used

These two wires are incredibly important, so triple check that they're ran correctly.

IMG 38, A - Connections #14 and #15.

IMG 39 - Connections #14 and #15 with small wire extensions added

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
PHASE 4 - HARNESS #4 - 7 wires, 3/7 used

IMG 40, A - Connection #16. This is down in the driver's side harness (EM11)

IMG 41 - It's starting to get crowded down there! Get ready for some cable management!

IMG 42, A - Connection #17, 12V power source

IMG 43, A - Connection #18, chassis ground

IMG 44 - Mounting location

We mounted the K5OS CCM to the right of the gas pedal, because we didn't want to remove the center console. In this location, there's just enough slack for the gray/brown wires in IMG 27, and you can easily reach the module under the dash if needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Coming soon: Eric's programming walkthrough

I will also add more testing/troubleshooting to this DIY soon

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Install DIY is live! Good luck, everyone!

Feel free to reply here or PM me if you have any questions or issues and I'll do my best to help.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,707 Posts
Fantastic work Munky!!! Now this is what I call a write up. This is a perfect example of a member of the community going above and beyond to help out other members.

I cannot thank you enough for taking all the time that you did to put this together without even being asked to do so. That was really kind of you and I really appreciate it. I'm sure all of the forum members will be very thankful to have this as well as it will make the installation much easier and provides much more detail when doing the install.

As a reminder if anyone is experiencing difficulties with installation, you can reach out to us for technical support at any of the 3 email addresses below:

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome writeup.
Thanks so much Munky.

I'm planning to use posi-taps for most of the connections.
I'm a stickler for quality, so we cut/soldered every single connection, covered it with heatshrink, then taped it.

Wow Munky. Awesome DIY. Very professional looking. Almost looks like you know what you are doing. ;)
Almost! ;)

·
08/2015 ROTM
2015 Kia Optima
428 Posts
****, you know how to do a well written write up! Props to you good sir...

Edit: Hopefully someone can figure out to remove that side pillar properly, it's a **** shame the KGIS site isn't free anymore or I would easily find this out...

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
****, you know how to do a well written write up! Props to you good sir...

Edit: Hopefully someone can figure out to remove that side pillar properly, it's a **** shame the KGIS site isn't free anymore or I would easily find this out...
It looks like it's supposed to keep the pillar cover on in case of airbag deployment, si it shouldn't be easy to get off. I'm guessing if they have to work on it at the dealer they have new clips to put in place. We tried for 20 minutes and then just cut it.

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nice diy, there be a vid of it in action soon?
Stephen is moving to North Carolina today, so he would have to take it himself - or Eric would have to make one. I had planned on making one but I got too frustrated after two days and said screw it.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,486 Posts

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,707 Posts
nice diy, there be a vid of it in action soon?
Stephen is moving to North Carolina today, so he would have to take it himself - or Eric would have to make one. I had planned on making one but I got too frustrated after two days and said screw it.
We will have a professional video up soon.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts