Tools needed:
Philips screwdriver
Knife/Small tipped flathead screwdriver
Larger flathead screwdriver
Electrical tape
Wire taps
or
Soldering Iron and Heatshrink
(If you prefer to solder instead of tap in. There are no pictures yet of the soldering process)

This install looks a bit difficult, but it's a lot easier once you get the first one in. Let's get started!

As you should with any install of an electrical component, remove your negative battery terminal:

Driver's side Front

Remove the two screws securing the panel to the door:

According to David:

On the 2014+ models, there is a rubber pad above the screw holes in the door handle that has to be removed to access the screw and flap.

Door handle

Armrest

Remove the plastic cover above the door panel by inserting a knife/screwdriver in the top, pulling it away enough to get your fingers in there, and pull it away.

Once the screws are removed, you can pull the panel away. If this is the first time you've removed it, it'll be on there good. Some DIY's say you can just pull out and up, but I had to get a larger screwdriver and pry it away little by little until I could get my hands in there to pull it away. It sounds like it's cracking, but that's just the white clips breaking away.

Removed! Set the door panel on something so it doesn't get scratched/scuffed.

Disconnect the wiring harness from the window switch, this is where I tapped in on this door panel.

Red and black are +/- on this harness, but that doesn't hold true for them all.

Testing to make sure it works, and it goes off when I shut the car off

Feed the wires through the screw hole. I later removed the plastic cover to keep it out of the way, but removing it does break the tabs that hold it in.

Since the wires on this product are fairly thin, fold over and twist so it has plenty to grab in the wire tap.

Tap into the positive

And the negative

I wrapped it with tape for good measure.

Testing before sticking it on

Note: The point that the wires are connected to the LED Door Plate was frail on my first one, and broke. I had to resolder it on. I recommend taping the wires out of the way like this so you still have a surface to put the adhesive pads, and you don't bend the wires around enough to break it off. I peeled off the white surface on the back of the pads, otherwise the adhesive will just pull that off and it won't stick. Be careful when doing so, the LED module is on the very end where the wires go in, and can easily slide out.

Remove the protective film

Place two of the adhesive circles on the back, on either end. Make sure it sticks in place. if not, add two more on top of the first. You have enough to use 4 per plate.

Installed! Now you can replace the door panel, put in the 1 screw that you can actually get to, and move on to the next door.

Driver's side Rear

Removing the panel is exactly the same as the front:

On this door, the window switch harness is a bit smaller. here's the harness and which wires to tap into:

On mine, the wires were white (+) and gray (-)

After install, replace panel and move on to the next door

Passenger side Front

On this door, the wiring harness was a bit different than the both of them, with some of the pins having two wires running to it. When testing, none of them would activate/deactivate with ignition, so I tapped into the LED light strip.

(This picture is actually my driver's side LED harness, but the passenger side looks just like it. You can test to see which wires are + and - but putting your terminal back on real quick and turning on ACC. Once you verify it comes on/off with ignition, tap into those two wires.

Passenger side Rear

I tapped into the window switch on this one, I believe it was yellow and red

And here's the finished product!! Enjoy!!

You can get your hands on a set here : http://www.k5optimastore.com/products/k5-led-door-handle-plates

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On a side note, tapping into the LED power source on the passenger side front may not be the best idea - It's dimmer than the other three, and I think it's taking power away from the LED strip, because it looks dimmer too. I'll have to find out which wires to tap into from the window switch and update when I know.

·
Your K5 Optima Store Rep
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts
Great DIY Munky. I'm doing this probably tomorrow on mine along with the switchbacks for the mirrors which the wiring is going to be a pain on those I am sure. If you get a chance let me know where you tap into for front passenger.

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to pop the door panel off tomorrow and make sure I get it figured out. This thread will go live to the rest of the forum once I get that figured out, and David gets a chance to see it too.

·
Your K5 Optima Store Rep
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts
I'm going to pop the door panel off tomorrow and make sure I get it figured out. This thread will go live to the rest of the forum once I get that figured out, and David gets a chance to see it too.
Thanks Munky. Im trying out the blue ones but will prob switch to red. Not sure yet though. Will see how it looks.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,238 Posts
Hey guys, sorry for my late reply. Things have been hectic lately. Thanks Munky, this looks good.

Only thing I think you should add, is that on the 2014+ models, there is a rubber pad above the screw holes in the door handle that has to be removed to access the screw and flap.

Also, unfortunately t-taps will not be included with this product. I would like to recommend to solder these to our customers. Obviously, t-taps are a great alternative as well.

Here is the product on our site now available for order: K5 LED Door Catch Plates - K5 Optima Store

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys, sorry for my late reply. Things have been hectic lately. Thanks Munky, this looks good.

Only thing I think you should add, is that on the 2014+ models, there is a rubber pad above the screw holes in the door handle that has to be removed to access the screw and flap.

Also, unfortunately t-taps will not be included with this product. I would like to recommend to solder these to our customers. Obviously, t-taps are a great alternative as well.
Soldering is the better choice, but I was trying to make this DIY as easy as possible. When I go back in and find a better spot to tap into for the passenger side, I could solder it and add pictures of that process.

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the front doors u can also tap into the harness that runs horizontal. The wire is blue which is the wire for the parking lights.
Thanks! I'll have to look for that in the passenger side, to avoid taking power from the mood lighting.

·
Registered
2013 Kia LX
321 Posts
Question.... that screw looks like it keeps that section of the door to the frame when door lever is pulled... Since the flip cover is not used could the wires be inserted through one of those openings so screw could be replaced...

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Question.... that screw looks like it keeps that section of the door to the frame when door lever is pulled... Since the flip cover is not used could the wires be inserted through one of those openings so screw could be replaced...
Absolutely! That's good thinking, I didn't even consider that.

FWIW, I don't notice the door panel pulling away at all when I use the handle now. It's still nice and solid.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
hmmm if you install this on top of the screw holes, how do you access those screw holes later? i can't imagine it'd be easy to pull this out without bending or damaging it

·
Registered
2013 Optima Optima SXL
551 Posts
very nice write up, thank you for taking your time to do this for us. You're a good man, no matter what anyone tells me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts