Registered
2011 Kia Optima
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Vehicle: 2011 Optima LX MT
Difficulty: Easy
Time: ~20 minutes

Overview:
The cruise control (CC) function requires 3 major components.

1. Steering Wheel Controls
2. Instrument Cluster
3. ECM

The Steering Wheel Controls are missing on Optimas without factory CC. The Instrument Cluster is different for the Manual Transmission cars as is the ECM. However, both have the programming and wiring required to use CC. Therefore, all that is required is to add the Steering Wheel Controls. There are a two caveats, however.

1.The Trip and Reset buttons are different on factory CC cars so these need to be changed or modified. If changed you lose the mute functionality, this isn't a big deal for me as you can just hold down the mode button to turn off the radio.
2. The CC indicators on the Instrument Cluster don't work. (C'mon Kia, the LEDs are there just turn them on). If anyone wants to lend me an instrument cluster, I'll let you know if it works.

Otherwise, CC performs perfectly. It even cancels when you depress the clutch. It does not cancel if you take it out of gear but the engine revs very slowly in this scenario, you could probably downshift without depressing the clutch or cancelling cruise.

I found it to be easier and cheaper to buy an entire steering wheel from a wrecked vehicle with factory CC instead of changing the components.

Required Tools:
10mm wrench or socket
Small Screwdriver
22mm (7/8") socket and torque wrench
#1 Philips Screwdriver (Only for Option B)
Steering wheel puller (Suggested)

Required Parts:
Option A
Steering Wheel from factory cruise control car
Option B
Cruise Control buttons
Steering Wheel wiring harness
Trip/Reset buttons
Plastic Bezel

Installation:
Option A
Step 1 - Remove the steering wheel.

I won't cover this in detail as it has been covered quite excellently here (stop after you remove the wheel) and there's plenty of videos on youtube etc.

Step 2 - Install the new steering wheel.

Step 3 - Enjoy using cruise control again.

Option B
Step 1 - Remove the steering wheel (See Option A)

Step 2 - Remove the 4 screws from the back of the steering wheel.

Step 3 - Remove the 2 screws from the front of the steering wheel.

Step 4 - Gently pull the back off of the wheel. There are some rubber plugs on the bottom that will take a little bit of effort to get out.

Step 5 - Remove the 3 screws from the back of the wheel.

Step 6 - Gently pull the front off of the wheel. There are some rubber plugs on the bottom, left and right this time.

Step 7 - Remove the 3 connections and take the harness out.

Step 8 - Remove the bottom bezel from the top bezel by depressing the 2 tabs.

Step 9 - Remove the screw in order to remove the volume buttons.

Step 10 - Remove the 2 screws in order to remove the trip/reset buttons.

Step 11 - Replace the trip/reset buttons, top bezel and harness with the new parts. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Step 12 - Install the steering wheel.

Note: In order to keep the mute functionality you should be able to replace the SMD resistors on the PCB of the trip/reset module and add a wire to the harness as shown below. I didn't feel like messing with SMDs so I just have a useless ECO button (not that I would ever press it anyway).

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it didn't dawn on me either until after I switched everything and was like hold on a minute, this is now exactly like the wheel I just bought. There are a ton of OEM Wheels on eBay from wrecked vehicles for cheap. Let me know how it goes. Like I said I didn't actually fix the mute button but I did take that module apart and inspect it so let me know if you have any questions. Happy modding!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the CC work at least? The SMDs that I think need to be changed are the ones for the trip and reset buttons on the module with the mute button. In theory the trip button needs to be changed from 2.55kohm to 1.1kohm and the reset button from 5.55kohm to 4.1kohm. Until this is changed those 2 buttons won't work. That one wire needs to be added to the harness as well for the mute button to work.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima
1,355 Posts
The "Trip" and "Reset" works. But no, the CC doesn't work. I know you said that I'd have the change the instrument cluster just so that the light would turn on. But I got up to 50, pressed ON and then Set. Let go of the gas pedal, and car started slowing down. I tried mulity times, just make sure that it works. Got the same results.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the trip/reset buttons work without changing the SMD resistors on those two buttons? The trip/reset buttons and the cruise control buttons are all wired together. So you need CC versions of the trip/reset buttons and cruise control OR just the non-CC version of the trip/reset buttons. If I remember correctly when I had the non-CC trip/reset buttons and CC buttons installed nothing worked. The CC gets reset to Off every time I turn the car off so "On" followed by "Set" has been the winning combination for me. I can run CC even at 35mph so speed shouldn't be an issue. I hope I don't have a freak ECM or cluster that allows mine to work but other's not to.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima
1,355 Posts
I did a little more research, it maybe because my ABS light is on. There is a short thread on there where people are saying that they're traction control came on and the cruise control turned off.

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/6-optima-engine-technical-discussion/2104-traction-control-light-no-cruise-control-help.html

But they are also saying that it was the 3rd brake light issue that KIA had a while back. But I'm guessing since my ABS light was on, it cancels out the CC

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

So the trip/reset buttons work without changing the SMD resistors on those two buttons? The trip/reset buttons and the cruise control buttons are all wired together. So you need CC versions of the trip/reset buttons and cruise control OR just the non-CC version of the trip/reset buttons. If I remember correctly when I had the non-CC trip/reset buttons and CC buttons installed nothing worked. The CC gets reset to Off every time I turn the car off so "On" followed by "Set" has been the winning combination for me. I can run CC even at 35mph so speed shouldn't be an issue. I hope I don't have a freak ECM or cluster that allows mine to work but other's not to.
I just doubled checked. No they don't work... Hmm. Let me get my tools and take it apart again.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Ok, switched everything back and it still does not work. I'm going to assuming because of my faulty ABS/Speed sensors

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man, that sucks. So your running an unmodified steering wheel from an AT car and no dice? When was your car manufactured? Mine was on January 30, 2011. Maybe they made some small tweaks to the cluster or ECU that enabled/disabled this feature sometime during the model year. Or maybe one of us has had an ECU reflash that enabled/disabled it.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
8 Posts
Hey everyone. I recently bought a 2011 Optima LX MT and found a steering wheel with cruise buttons on ebay. Should I expect this to be a simple plug and play? Anybody else have success?

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima
1,355 Posts
Hey everyone. I recently bought a 2011 Optima LX MT and found a steering wheel with cruise buttons on ebay. Should I expect this to be a simple plug and play? Anybody else have success?
Yep, simply plug and play. But if you don't switch the buttons over and slice that wire like Pucky said, you'll just loose the mute button opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts