Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
I have a Kia Optima 2016 LX, and I was evaluating changing my infotainment system to the 7 inches (I could not find 8 inches on eBay). I found some used ones at a really good price (less than 100). However, I think that I need to change the Climate control too because some of the keys from beside of infotainment system coming down on top of climate control.

I was checking the ports by the photos on eBay, and I just undrestand my model has some differences regarding the ports.

Is there anybody who has any experience regarding this?

I would appreciate to know any guidance.

Thank you

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi guys!
I have a Kia Optima 2016 LX, and I was evaluating changing my infotainment system to the 7 inches (I could not find 8 inches on eBay). I found some used ones at a really good price (less than 100). However, I think that I need to change the Climate control too because some of the keys from beside of infotainment system coming down on top of climate control.

I was checking the ports by the photos on eBay, and I just undrestand my model has some differences regarding the ports.

Is there anybody who has any experience regarding this?

I would appreciate to know any guidance.

Thank you
[/QUOTE]
Just putting a head unit in the car is fairly easy. But you still want your steering wheel controls; right? How about the rear view camera? My 2015 has a proprietary rear view camera cable. So, you have to buy a good quality camera with the 14 foot cable and completely upgrade that. So now I have a 7" wide angle FHD camera. I bought the Alpine ILX-650 which is only 3" deep and does have a high power amp built in. But it was 18w x4....which wasn't going to work for me except using the front channell to run my new Kenwood Excellon dash speakers. Then the 1" x 7" KTX-450 piggy back amp that has 50w RMS X4 to run the new door speakers. I chose the Kicker 100w rms 6.75" 2 way door speakers, and Rockford Fosgate 2x12's run by an 800w rms intingtKicker sub amp.
Always use class "D" amps. They are the most modern, they run cool, and are very very reliable.
The Kicker door speakers were dissapointing sound wise. The Kenwood Excellon 3.5" dash speakers are smooth and nice sounding.
Basically, buying online sucks for being able to listen to your speakers before purchase. Without the subs I would have returned the "100w rms" speakers because I found small print on the back of the box "per pair". I wrote to Kicker about that. They said their box was "properly marked". But they are 50 watts rms so with the crossover menu on the Alpine head unit I just took some bass out of the door speakers, and added more on the 2x12 Rockford Fosgate subs. Yeah. I went nuts a bit. And you need about $250 worth of adapters. So, I bought everything from Crutchfield, and I wanted it installed professionally (I have Rheumatoid Arthritis). So, living in VA, I drove to Charlottesville and to Crutchfield headquarters and had them put it in. It took the pro 2 separate appointments to get it all installed, balanced, etc.
Also, I recommend sealed enclosure subs and at least 500 watts rms. I managed to bring the stock 8" Infinity sub back to life as a mid sub. Now I have Android Auto, Apple car play, and my USB cable is in my glove box so I can just stick the Galaxy S10 in the glove box and run most if my apps. I am very happy with it. In total it was $1500 in equipment (including $300 of adapters to make your steering wheel controls work and for everything would work together.
I think you should just leave the A/C controls alone. It took me 3 months to get all this done.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts