Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again everyone,
As the title states, I'm pretty disappointed with the little 2.4L.

I feel it has potential and it's GDI, so again, I'm SURE there are hidden ponies under my hood.

Has anyone done anything to increase the 2.4L power?
I haven't found any intakes or exhaust for it yet, but how about the LX 2.4 Intake?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I feel its what it is. My wife drives a V6 Toyota and when she drives the KIA she is always complaining about the performance. I'm fine with it in Sport mode.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
150 Posts
I feel its what it is. My wife drives a V6 Toyota and when she drives the KIA she is always complaining about the performance. I'm fine with it in Sport mode.
If you plan on being first and last owner of your 2.4, don't beef the engine and don't use Sport Mode.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
150 Posts
Nothing going to hurt using Sport Mode? Actually the car performs the way it should in Sport Mode but uses more fuel.
Wrong.
Keep using it and you will find out eventually. Engine failure reports on messageboards are more aligned / earlier mileages, with those using this mode constantly in turbo four bangers

I scan-read about 10 messageboards daily, having 1.6, 2.0 and 2.4 engines.
Hope yours is the exception.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,596 Posts
Wrong.
Keep using it and you will find out eventually. Engine failure reports on messageboards are more aligned / earlier mileages, with those using this mode constantly in turbo four bangers

I scan-read about 10 messageboards daily, having 1.6, 2.0 and 2.4 engines.
Hope yours is the exception.
Do you have a theory how sport mode could change the odds of engine failure?

I feel like the people whose engines failed, those would have failed no matter what. Sport mode doesn't change the equation - if your engine had the manufacturing problem, it would fail no matter how you babied the engine.

Same goes for sport mode.

Actually, can you talk about what you think sport mode does? Because I think you misunderstand sport mode.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Lugging an engine in 6th gear at 40 mph isn't good either and that's what ECO seems to do. Most the problems with the KIA and Hyundai engines was due to poor engineering and sand mold problems. My Optima is not a turbo and it lacks performance in the city. Sport Mode helps a lot in the city.

Revupyourengines Scotty knows

·
Registered
23 Posts
Change your pipes,add cold air intake, that’ll add 60 hp.
Whew, now that's some terrible internet math right there. Please don't tell people stuff like that unless you personally have an exact modification list and dyno pull to back it up. Because those are straight up laughable figures you just quoted.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Whew, now that's some terrible internet math right there. Please don't tell people stuff like that unless you personally have an exact modification list and dyno pull to back it up. Because those are straight up laughable figures you just quoted.
I was going to suggest a jet engine from an A10

·
Registered
7 Posts
Let her drive a Dodge Hellcat and then she'll complain about the Toyota performance.
I drive a 2016 Optima LX w/2.4 non turbo. It does everything I need, plus, consistently gives me 34-37mpg around town. I have pulled 40mpg on the highway, Eco mode on cruise control @68mph. I would leave it alone, sit back and enjoy the ride.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,499 Posts
Cannot mod a NA 2.4 engine unfortunately. It is what it is. You can always add an intake for sound purposes as well as an aftermarket exhaust. For sound purposes. Get some nice wheels and lower it with lowering springs and enjoy the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cannot mod a NA 2.4 engine unfortunately. It is what it is. You can always add an intake for sound purposes as well as an aftermarket exhaust. For sound purposes. Get some nice wheels and lower it with lowering springs and enjoy the car.
Why can’t you upgrade performance? How would an intake and exhaust not increase it? Genuinely curious because I am thinking of building my own.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.