Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought a 2013 Kia Optima and not even 2 weeks in I park the car but then go to start it immediately after turning it off because I cracked my windows only to find out IT WONT START. So I do some research and find that the brake pedal switch is a big culprit in these situations but the kicker is the brake pedal switch bypass doesn't work. The brake pedal is a little stiff but I can press it a little bit. The car doesn't even ask me to press the brake pedal when I try to turn it on it just flat out turns on to accessory.

When I try the brake pedal switch bypass nothing happens I turn it on, make sure the light is green then hold the push start down for 10 seconds and everything goes quiet and then there's a singular tick like it's trying to start. Sorta like the starter trying to kick in but it doesn't have enough power. What's REALLY going on here. Are these symptoms of the brake pedal switch? Or is it the battery.

EDIT: Its definitely NOT the brake pedal switch for 3 reasons. 1) The brake lights respond when you press the brakes (See video) 2) When in accessory power I can shift gears after pressing the brake indicating the car knows Im pressing the brake. 3) Even if it was the brake pedal I cant do the bypass. When I do the bypass the car clicks and I doesnt start at all.

It HAS to be either the starter or the battery. I am already tested the voltage on the battery but it holds voltage really well however cars really need AMPS to start if Im not mistaken. A friend is gonna give me a jump and if it starts then its the battery due to the amps not being enough. If they give me a jump and I still cant get it to start im gonna assume its the starter? Or would I be missing something here

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
What is your battery voltage? Are the connectors tight and clean?

Reactions: JasonS

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,347 Posts
Why not both, maybe your battery went dead because your brake switch little bumper thing is worn out.

You can reach under the dash and feel the brake switch plunger and the bumper thing, to make sure they are working properly by moving the brake pedal with one hand while feeling the switch/bumper with the other hand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is your battery voltage? Are the connectors tight and clean?
So yes the battery is tight and the connections are clean. Voltage reads at 12.36V. I had someone look while I tried to start the car and the voltage doesnt falter like at all when I try to start it
Its starting to sound like a starter issue

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not both, maybe your battery went dead because your brake switch little bumper thing is worn out.

You can reach under the dash and feel the brake switch plunger and the bumper thing, to make sure they are working properly by moving the brake pedal with one hand while feeling the switch/bumper with the other hand.
Well see that occurred to me too but my battery seems fine. I mean it looks to be a BRAND NEW battery, It even has proper voltage and holds the voltage strong when attempting to start the car. PLUS I can press the brake pedal and actively switch between gears when it goes to accessory power so its reading on my brake pedal just fine.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
263 Posts
Do your brake lights come on? This will indicate if the switch is sending the "brakes are applied" signal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do your brake lights come on? This will indicate if the switch is sending the "brakes are applied" signal.
So I hadn't tested this yet as I had no one to tell me if they were working as I pressed the brake pedal so I had an idea. I propped my phone behind my car with the wide lens on leaned against a bush branch and tested. You can definitely see the lights flashing as I press the brake pedal repeatedly

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
308 Posts
So I bought a 2013 Kia Optima and not even 2 weeks in I park the car but then go to start it immediately after turning it off because I cracked my windows only to find out IT WONT START. So I do some research and find that the brake pedal switch is a big culprit in these situations but the kicker is the brake pedal switch bypass doesn't work. The brake pedal is a little stiff but I can press it a little bit. The car doesn't even ask me to press the brake pedal when I try to turn it on it just flat out turns on to accessory.

When I try the brake pedal switch bypass nothing happens I turn it on, make sure the light is green then hold the push start down for 10 seconds and everything goes quiet and then there's a singular tick like it's trying to start. Sorta like the starter trying to kick in but it doesn't have enough power. What's REALLY going on here. Are these symptoms of the brake pedal switch? Or is it the battery.

EDIT: Its definitely NOT the brake pedal switch for 3 reasons. 1) The brake lights respond when you press the brakes (See video) 2) When in accessory power I can shift gears after pressing the brake indicating the car knows Im pressing the brake. 3) Even if it was the brake pedal I cant do the bypass. When I do the bypass the car clicks and I doesnt start at all.

It HAS to be either the starter or the battery. I am already tested the voltage on the battery but it holds voltage really well however cars really need AMPS to start if Im not mistaken. A friend is gonna give me a jump and if it starts then its the battery due to the amps not being enough. If they give me a jump and I still cant get it to start im gonna assume its the starter? Or would I be missing something here
Did you try to jump start? Did you try fob in slot? Did you try to start in neutral? Did you try hitting the starter with hammer as starting? Did you try turning crank bolt with wrench to make sure engine is not seized?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you try to jump start? Did you try fob in slot? Did you try to start in neutral? Did you try hitting the starter with hammer as starting?
So the answer to your first 2 questions was yes and nothing happened. I couldn't hit the starter with something but I couldn't get in there with my hand. But all the symptoms indicated something is wrong with the starter. I know EXACTLY where it is and how to get to it and I have the tools and coolant in my trunk to do it so I go for it. I take off my Mass Airflow, Throttle body, Intake manifold, Top side coolant hose, and my radiator fan and low and behold the plug on the starter is literally hanging half out of its socket. I plug it in and put it back together and starts without a hitch. And it made me think what caused that? I remember hitting something yesterday as there was like a wooden board on the highway. Its the only thing I can think of in terms of an even that will disconnect a starter yet not damage my car

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Freak accident solved!

Reactions: BigGuy91

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,495 Posts
Nice job troubleshooting! And glad it wasnt a costly fix!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Our son just went through the EXACT same problems with his 2013 optima. He and a friend replaced the starter and fixed the problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts