Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CPO 2017 Optima LX 17000 miles for about $15,700

I looked at an Optima and went to make the deal today. Drove the car, very nice, but smelled like a pipe with perfume cover. Promised it could be removed, but did not take it. I looked a new one and back and forth - but did not want new one. Came back and said they would remove the smell on the 2017 and drop the price $500. I told them to get rid of the smell and I'd come back tomorrow, if it's gone (smell) - I'll take it.

I then asked how the CPO worked because I was thinking about extending the warranty. He then said it was "CPO" had to be paid for, it was "Certifiable".....for $1499.00! Told him the deal was off. I looked on line and the add says "Certified Used 2017 Kia Optima". It then has a red banner across the picture of the car that says "This car is certified".

SO I sent him a text with the same link and his reply was that "It's in the disclaimer that says CPO is an additional fee. I would love to add it but unfortunately I can't".

Am I missing something?

Here is the disclaimer:

Disclaimer:
PLUS certification on qualifying vehicles. Destination, tax, title and tags not included in vehicle prices shown and must be paid by the purchaser. While great effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information on this site, errors do occur so please verify information with a customer service representative.
**With approved credit. Terms may vary. Monthly payments are only estimates derived from the vehicle price with a 72 month term 5.9% interest and 20% down payment. Payment estimate does not include taxes and dealer fees.

Andy Mohr Kia Avon Indiana

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're charging you the price it costs them for the CPO tag. Plenty others around, forget this one/dealer.
I know this now, but can they do that legally? On each ad, it clearly stated "IS" certified (at least 2 areas claim this. Then they are adding the official "KIA CERTIFIED" logo with it.

I am just angry. Then a couple hours later I get 2 emails showing me 3 new 2018 Optima's lowering the prices below what he claimed he could go while I was there, ($18600).

I hate hate hate buying cars and this is why. Deceptive practices, games played.....everything we try not to teach our children.

It's hard for me to let this go without challenging them legally on this issue. I won't, but i want to. I gotta put this behind me!

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,205 Posts
Lot's pf places do this, it's not just KIA. On the Volvo forum, folks asked a similar question, it's not an uncommon practice in the business. If you want the cheaper price, then no CPO, if you do, then you can foot the bill for it. If a car was CPO'd and folks weren't buying because they thought it too much, they would take it out to make the price more palatable. Some folks want the extra warranty, some don't. This is one reason why I read everything when I see an advertised deal that seems too good to be true. The have been doing this a while, hence the disclaimer. It's like those great ads you hear on the radio and see on TV, the radio guys spouts of some things at the end real fast, the TV flashes the stuff in small print at the bottom of the screen. Sadly, it's the world we live in today.

Take a look at the 2018s, they need to clear their inventory and you might be able to get into an EX with more options for a little more if you can swing it or just take the new LX, comes with full warranty and less miles.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
357 Posts
I agree with Wayne and go with a new one instead, be it an EX or LX. Since it's year-end clearance time, you might be able to swing a good deal. Expand your search to other Kia dealerships too, not just this one.

The whole hidden fee thing with CPO's is a practice many dealers do regardless of make.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
12 Posts
Thats a pretty shady dealer IMO (and unfortunately, as others have said, lots of places do this). When i bought my used 2015 EX (24k miles) a week and a half ago, it was definitively a CPO (registered as such on Carfax and also got all supporting documentation from the dealer guaranteeing it was CPO with full balance of factory warranty, not the downgraded version).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Have never run into a CPO vehicle that required the purchaser to foot the bill.
You can challenge them but how far are you going to go? Take them to court?
Give them a piece of your mind, wWalk away and get a car elsewhere.

Contact AG office.
Contact BBB
I posted my experience on their F/B page and they replied if I wanted to talk to their GM, call ###. I replied that a good GM would reach out to a dissatisfied customer.

IMO, if I lose a customer, in any situation, I would make sure someone besides the salesman try to satisfy a dissatisfied customer; a salesman who has absolutely no authority to actually do anything. I also found it interesting that my concern was not important enough them to call me rather that tell me I can call them.

That tells me allot a bout a company. Even if I still was not satisfied, I would be able to tell others that they at least tried to help me understand; but for them to tell me I can call them if I am unhappy? I'm not worth your time? My money is good but I'm not?

It says allot about that company..........Andy Mohr - Indianapolis / Avon

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima SX
1,356 Posts
Some dealers will do CPO and have it ready. like they said it costs them about 1500 to do so. its a warranty backed/authorized by kia. if its new enough they will ask if you want CPO or not and add the cost to the vehicle.

most brands do this, gives them flexibility on price and what a buyer may want

Now if they are advertising it as CPO and they have a disclaimer, you may fight it but is it worth that much to you. lets say you win and you get the car.... is that the dealer you are going to have to go back to? will they remember you?

shop around there are many option and the used ones are a lot cheaper than the new ones.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6
104 Posts
I know this now, but can they do that legally? On each ad, it clearly stated "IS" certified (at least 2 areas claim this. Then they are adding the official "KIA CERTIFIED" logo with it.

I am just angry. Then a couple hours later I get 2 emails showing me 3 new 2018 Optima's lowering the prices below what he claimed he could go while I was there, ($18600).

I hate hate hate buying cars and this is why. Deceptive practices, games played.....everything we try not to teach our children.

It's hard for me to let this go without challenging them legally on this issue. I won't, but i want to. I gotta put this behind me!
Go for a 2018s, at a different dealer. New car, more standard equipment, no CPO BS. Meeting with the Finance Manager will also be quick, because Kia already gives you a class-leading basic and powertrain warranty, plus the newest Optima's have Camry level reliability so you can skip through the spiels about extended warranties.

Dealers wonder why they are despised, and this is why. You have to constantly be on guard and scrutinize everything they say. If something doesn't sound right or sounds fishy, it is. I got the car and deal I wanted when I bought my 2018 EX, but I had to be in hard ass mode the whole time, and started walking away at one point before he gave me the price I wanted.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
79 Posts
Dealers wonder why they are despised, and this is why. You have to constantly be on guard and scrutinize everything they say. If something doesn't sound right or sounds fishy, it is.
So true. Here's my crappy Kia dealer story, back when I was looking for a new 2016 SX about 2 years ago. Tried to do as much as possible online - just asking for dealer's best price on a model with XYZ features. One dealer a couple hours north of me replies with a great price on an SX-L. Has every feature I want, they say it's a brand new car, ready on the lot. Guy sends me a ton of pictures. I can't figure out why the deal seems so good and I'm all set to drive up over the weekend and buy it. Just out of curiosity I email the guy again and ask how many miles it has on it and the reply comes... "Oh, it's only got 5000 miles on it! This is a brand new car that was used as a demo by our sales manager, never titled!". I lose it and reply saying just because it was never titled doesn't mean it's a brand new car (to me anyway). That may meet the legal definition of a new car, but if I had driven two hours to find the car I was told was "brand new" had 5000 miles it would have been ugly.

I emailed the manager of the dealer and got a reply something like "We understand now you are not interested in a car with any miles on it." Which misses the point -- if they had told me up front the car was a demo and that's why it was priced so well, I might have still considered it. But this was a straight bait and switch and they just wouldn't admit it.

In the end I found an amazing dealer that gave me a killer price up front in email, very little haggling, everything was totally as promised when I showed up in person to sign the deal.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,469 Posts
They're charging you the price it costs them for the CPO tag. Plenty others around, forget this one/dealer.
This ^^^^
Head over to Napelton Kia in Fishers. Much better service there imo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This ^^^^
Head over to Napelton Kia in Fishers. Much better service there imo.
I just bought a 2016 Optima SX from Napleton Fishers. I think I was treated fairly and got a good deal. I asked about Certification and they told me $ 1500, I was able to get it at their 'cost' of $ 500. Fortunently for me the price had fallen $ 500 the same day so it was a wash (or free).

The finance mgr played a bunch of games, manipulation, and mistruths about the warranty pushing the extended warranty for an extra $ 2850 (amount over 5 yr finance) and eventually lowered it to $ 1850 but I still passed. Man, he was pushy. I was promised 4.99% and ended up with 5.19% it worked out to $ 5 bucks a month and have spent like an hour with 40 minutes or so of him selling (not selling according to him) the add on warranty. The worst financial experience I have had but we got it done nonetheless. He told me all the computers were NOT covered by the basic warranty but the warranty manua50kl say only the entertainment stuff only 36mo/36k all the rest is supposedly 60m/60k. He told me I was foolish for paying $ 500 for the certification because the powertrains never go bad but computers are the problems. Jeesh. I have never bought an extended car warranty because I know they make a large profit on them and was happy with the factory warranty.

Car 9.5 of 10

Sales 8 of 10
Finance 3 of 10 (would be 0 but got the deal done)

Is there something official you are supposed to get for Certification?
The warranty manual doesn't say anything about it...only original owner.

·
Registered
2015 Optima EX
62 Posts
Andy Mohr is worthless, but his wife or ex-wife, whatever she is now, is good looking with rather large melons...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts