Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ok, let's start. don't use vent temp for ambient air temp! it means outside air temp ! you don't have to know how many oz. you have. you just put in enough that the low side is in range at 2000 rpm. never think more is better it is not . if you read a low side gauge you will note that the pounds of pressure are also the temp. the low side it. so if the low side is high. too much free-on, then the temp out the vent will be higher. So just be sure the low side is in the range of the chart its that easy! Use to high side only if you have a problem then read the high side to help pinpoint the problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
First question, how would one know what is more if not going by weight?
Second observation, PSI is also the temp, totally incorrect. I can see high 30's when 90-95 degrees ambient temp, not the 50-55 low side pressure.
Better stop printing bad information. It may work for you, but a lot more to having the A/C system work efficiently than adding gas by estimate.
Well Turbonut I don,t print bad information son.The more wight you put in the pressure goes up. do you understand that? When you tell me I better stop printing wrong info on this is a little touchy for me on this subject you did not understand what I am saying. What I mean is on the low side and high side of a gauge it reads in pressure and Fahrenheit. look at your gauges! so 30 pounds=30 Fahrenheit when at 2,000 rpm is a good charge also use the ambient temp chart with that. Just look on all gauges it says that so charge low side to 28-32 pounds or 30 Fahrenheit also using the ambient temp chart and you are good to good to go! unless a/c has a different problem. I've been charging a/c for 36 years as a Toyota master mechanic.I have changed over 500 a/c auto and home. you don't have to weigh it. You can weigh it if you want but you don,t need to. Is a waste of time to me. I think I may know a little more than you. Type my last name in a google search. History of Herrick Labs if you are not sure that I know what I am saying. My family goes way back in Refrigeration we also made the first early iceboxes. if you need to know something ask I can help you.
I only go on Optima Forums to help people out or to ask for myself sometime. And I really like my 2012 Optima I lot.So much my wife is getting jealous

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well buddy, don't have the slightest idea at what you are saying, so maybe I do need some education.
Let's take 90 degree ambient temp, low side 45-55, outlet temp in the 30's, so using psi where does any
temp equal psi?
Yes the reading are right above just go with 45 not 55 on the low side and it will be cooler.but to be real the air coming out the vents will not be 30f more like 45-55. it will be close to 5 degrees cooler out the center vent if you did at that setup.Look on the gauge's temp is the same as the pressure.55 f. on a 90f. day the air would fell nice and cold. Do you see that on the gauge? that's what I was talking about.so you want the low side to be low like 40 to 45 not 55 at 90f. you have that right. the biggest problem with charging a/c is overcharging. more is never better in a A/C. also moistures changes things. So in calif on a 60f day charge it 30 on the low side and you will be good. what they meant on the temp on the gauge is the inside the a/c unit. The low side the temp at the expansion valve and high side it the temp at the compressor not what you measure outside coming out of vents. because the time in come out the vent it warm up some from the warm car.
I got one for you. I think the a/c compress comes on even it the a/c light is not on have you notice that?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes by weight is good. The gauge works if you have no scale and is faster and easier. If you're getting 38 that's a good reading out vent I would leave it at that. Yes machines are great, fast and easy,
Do you have auto dual a/c in your Optima? because when I put mine on 72 auto, no ac light will come on but I am sure the a/c comes on because the air is colder than outside air. then if you then is down to 68 a/c light comes on and it will get colder. So I believe the compressor comes on with no a/c light. but I have not tested this yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts