Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question I know but does anyone know how to jack these car up and place jack stands under them?

Normally I’d put the jack inter the crossmember and the jack stands under the frame but I can’t find either on this car haha

thanks

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
What about using the cross-member further back - can others chime in on whether you can jack up the center of the cross-member to lift the entire front of the car?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about using the cross-member further back - can others chime in on whether you can jack up the center of the cross-member to lift the entire front of the car?
Good idea, I was looking at that but it’s so far back I wouldn’t be able to get my jack under it.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
368 Posts
I used that "thing" when I swapped out my suspension. You will be fine. Just remember to have parking brake off until car is up on stands. Worked for me.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
I used that "thing" when I swapped out my suspension. You will be fine. Just remember to have parking brake off until car is up on stands. Worked for me.
Dumb question on my part, in the interest of education--why does the PB need to remain off until after the car is up on stands when lifting the car as described?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
I prefer to lock the wheels before I jack the car, which means putting wood or wheel chocks to prevent rolling, and engaging the parking brake.

I guess the issue is the car will move slightly as it's being jacked up, but I find that the wheels will still move even if you block the wheels and use the parking brake.

After the car is jacked up, I go back and give the wheel chocks a couple kicks to snug them back down under the tires.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Normally with a hydraulic floor jack, when placed under the front, as the car is raised the arm will either pull the car forward or the floor jack will move back towards the car. Have seen some have the parking brake on, and the jack won't move as the wheels are on dirt or will sink into asphalt, then the arm moves off the mount and some goes right through the bottom of the radiator.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
^That's nice as they are magnetic. I took hockey pucks and cut a groove in them to use on the pinch weld, but most all the jacking on the front, I just place the jack under the LCA, actually the same in the back.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
I just remembered that the (removable) saddle on my floor jack has notches that are meant to slot the pinch welds thus making those welds less susceptible to bending/damage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts