Kia Optima Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd be scared to death to do something like that -- as easy as it DOES look. I'm too afraid I'd bust the tabs or whatever and the door panel would never go back on right again! I'm such a rookie.

·
Never Enough $$$$
132 Posts
I just did the interior door mod. But, I placed wires silver to black, and bronze to red. It worked on the passenger side fine, so I did the same on the drivers side, but it was a no go.

Should I reverse the polarity to see if that works?
If so change the passenger side as well?
Are you sure that silver is Positive and bronze is Negative?

Thanks for the help as soon as possible. I don't want to burn anything out.

PM'ed MJ

·
Never Enough $$$$
132 Posts
Problems solved. I switched the wires around on the drivers side lights. The LED strip on the passenger side was working fine.

I went with white lights to match the interior LED lights. I am liking the light. Much better to see in the door and the ambiance is great. Thanks for the write up. I can take the door panel off in about a minute. So far all modding has been fairly simple to do. Thanks KIA for making things simple to get to (knock on wood).

So, silver is Positive (+) and Gold is Negative (-)

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX
2,429 Posts
Problems solved. I switched the wires around on the drivers side lights. The LED strip on the passenger side was working fine.

I went with white lights to match the interior LED lights. I am liking the light. Much better to see in the door and the ambiance is great. Thanks for the write up. I can take the door panel off in about a minute. So far all modding has been fairly simple to do. Thanks KIA for making things simple to get to (knock on wood).

So, silver is Positive (+) and Gold is Negative (-)
Glad to hear it! Lets see some pics!
just an FYI: LED's only work one way. So if it doesnt light one way, you got em backwards. ;)

·
Never Enough $$$$
132 Posts
I'll post up some pictures on Tuesday. Busy day tomorrow. Kids stuff in the morning and Red Sox w/ friends at night. I know it is tough, but someone has to do it.

·
Never Enough $$$$
132 Posts
Ok late to post pictures but here you go. White LED strip for door panel (mood lighting):

Door panel lights.jpg

Now for the electrical masters. I was thinking it would be nice to hook these lights up to the dimmer switch to the interior light. I was thinking to run the wires to the dimmer. But, then would I have to relay switch????

·
Registered
2015 BMW M235i
2,822 Posts
thought id share my mod i did a while back , finally took pictures of it

outside looking in

backseat

front seat

drivers seat

used blue 5050 led strips, have blue painters tape over the clear plastic in the door, to bring the brightness of the 5050 down and help difuse the light

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've seen it asked a few times throughout this thread but it's never been answered. Can anyone confirm what I'll need to tap into if I don't have factory mood lighting?

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
I've seen it asked a few times throughout this thread but it's never been answered. Can anyone confirm what I'll need to tap into if I don't have factory mood lighting?
uhhh i didn't know they made optimas that didnt' have factory mood lighting... first of all IF you don't have the factory light, you'll have to check if you even have the slot for the light to come out of. 2nd you'll have to decide if you want it to come on and off with the power or with the headlights. if you want it on and off with power, i'd recommend getting an add a fuse and tapping into one of the sensors. If you want it with the headlights, you can probably tap into one of the interior lights that come on with the lights. I can't be specific since i'm at work and can't look up anything

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
what year and trim do you have? cause as far as i know, all optima has it. Maybe 11 lx doesn't? it might be there, just really really dim.
I think you can add a fuse into the ignition relay to have it come on and off with the car. I forget exactly where it is, but it should be labeled "main rly" and should use 15amp fuse?

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
ah i see... i just did a quick google and found OEM door mood light system for $35 on eBay but it doesn't seem to include the clear plastic piece. This might be a slightly big mod if you don't have one

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
i'm debating between adding LED strips or i think there was a member here who added a resistor to increase the brightness. I might go with the OEM option but i'll have to double check to see how involved this process is

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just did this mod to my car ...Excellent instructions ,,and super easy to do ... I soldered and shrink wrapped all my wiring ...It looks awesome and goes great with the LED cupholders ...The wife loves it ..The whole thing costs about 9 bucks to do.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts