Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,791 Posts
Your job is probably pretty awesome...owning a business that directly relates to something you enjoy.

But, it must suck when you have to (well technically I guess you don't HAVE to) defend a product that you know doesn't work because it's something you make money off of.

But hey, sometimes when you're a boss you got to do things you don't want to do.
Ouch, that's pretty harsh man. I would never sell a product that I knew 100% did not do anything, as that would be dishonest.

Clearly in post # 9 you can that there are 72 5-star reviews on our site from verified buyers who have purchased the product.

However, in the 2 months since I made that post # 9, we have received (8) more 5-star reviews: Kia & Hyundai Performance Throttle Body Spacer - K5 Optima Store

Surely, all of these customers are not making this up to defend a product we are selling that they bought that doesn't do anything.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your job is probably pretty awesome...owning a business that directly relates to something you enjoy.

But, it must suck when you have to (well technically I guess you don't HAVE to) defend a product that you know doesn't work because it's something you make money off of.

But hey, sometimes when you're a boss you got to do things you don't want to do.

Surely, all of these customers are not making this up to defend a product we are selling that they bought that doesn't do anything.
No, they're defending their decision to spend the $70 in the first place.

Plus y'all have great customer service and community relations here and on FB. No one wants to leave a negative review on your website. Customer service pays off lmao.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,791 Posts
No, they're defending their decision to spend the $70 in the first place.

Plus y'all have great customer service and community relations here and on FB. No one wants to leave a negative review on your website. Customer service pays off lmao.
Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I respect yours, and appreciate the nice words about my customer service.

However, I would tend to believe that when customers mention noticing a slight increase in MPG and improved throttle response, that it is true.

You see working as the owner of this business now for nearly 5 years, I can tell you firsthand that customers have no problem telling us when they think a product doesn't work.

I would highly doubt we would be able to continue selling them and have customers be happy with the product if it did absolutely nothing at all.

While the gains in HP and MPG may be minimal, unless someone has done testing to prove otherwise, I will trust that the product does what the manufacturer advertises it to do, and trust our customers that time and time again say they notice the improvements with the product installed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm also quite surprised that no one that has bought one has dynoed it before and after to see what (if anything) they got as far as gains go.
Using a dyno to try and prove 10 HP or less is VERY difficult. Been there, done that. Engine temp. air temp, and baro pressures can all change the HP drastically between tests. In particular, when using most dynoes you DO NOT floor it from a stop...you have to bring the RPMs up to 2000 RPM and then slowly take it to WOT. To me the BEST way to check performance is on a dragstrip. Regardless of reaction time, the trap speed and clock times are more indicative of "real world" driving and the best way to prove if something works. I remember installing Turbo mufflers on a BB Buick in the 80s and finding out I only decreased 1/4 mile times by .(POINT) 02 seconds! the huge original factory mufflers were more then adequate - and kept the noise level down TOO! The turbo mufflers were excellent for noise making...:)

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,454 Posts
FWIW: I'm skeptical of any TB spacer doing much that you can actually feel (i.e., "butt dyno"). Saying that, I have one for really one reason only - as a vacuum source for my aftermarket blow off valve. There are other ways to do the same and looking back, that would have been a better use of my funds. I "maybe" can detect a bit better throttle response but nothing I can really defiantly say. The versions that are aluminum and have the big 0-ring seal are the better versions. I also did the coolant bypass of the throttle body at the same time (not required but since I was already "in there" I did it).

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
227 Posts
Using a dyno to try and prove 10 HP or less is VERY difficult. Been there, done that. Engine temp. air temp, and baro pressures can all change the HP drastically between tests. In particular, when using most dynoes you DO NOT floor it from a stop...you have to bring the RPMs up to 2000 RPM and then slowly take it to WOT. To me the BEST way to check performance is on a dragstrip. Regardless of reaction time, the trap speed and clock times are more indicative of "real world" driving and the best way to prove if something works. I remember installing Turbo mufflers on a BB Buick in the 80s and finding out I only decreased 1/4 mile times by .(POINT) 02 seconds! the huge original factory mufflers were more then adequate - and kept the noise level down TOO! The turbo mufflers were excellent for noise making...:)
Actually, you are wrong, assuming you use an inertia style dyno, like the Dynojet. Horsepower consistency is the cornerstone of that tool. It's quite easy to make back to back to back measurements that are within a tenth of one horsepower, as long as the vehicle is consistent. Check out my old (I mean REALLY OLD) website ws6.com. That website tested a naturally aspirated LT1 Trans Am back in the 90's on a Dynojet 248. Repeatability from run to run within .1 to .2hp was easy to accomplish.

The more difficult task is to keep the vehicle repeatable. In the case of that old aspirated LT1, no big deal. With a turbocharged 2.0, much more difficult. The key here is to monitor intake air temp and coolant temp and start the runs at very similar values for consistency. You can then also compare spark advance, knock retard and other OBDII data to ensure the car is doing the same thing when comparing different mods. The dyno itself takes atmospheric measurements for pressure, temperature and humidity, and applies a known correction factor to cancel out atmospheric differences.

As you said, you don't floor it from a stop. Also, you do not start at 2000rpm on every car or slowly take it to WOT. Again, consistency mandates that you floor it since the only pedal position you can recreate run after run, is flooring it. The task is to find the lowest RPM that the engine will accept WOT and not downshift or come out of lockup. With the Theta II 2.0T, it doesn't lock up until about 4800rpm, but it's repeatable because it does this every run. I've had my 2015 Optima and my girlfriends old 2013 Sonata on the dyno a few times and testing like this is not difficult.

The drag strip is another way to benchmark things, but there are many more variables at the drag strip than on the dyno. There is no correction factor applied to level the playing field for different atmospheric conditions. Vehicle weight, which includes how much fuel is in the tank, tire pressure, track prep/traction, driver response, head/side/tail winds all come into play. It is much more difficult to measure for gains when the likelihood of consistent runs, even on the same day, are generally troublesome. How many of us have gone to the track and found that as the night goes on and the air gets cooler, the car goes faster? I made 3 or 4 runs with my Optima two years ago and the car went at least .2 sec quicker from run to run. That is not the optimum way to measure performance changes in my opinion.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts