Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the highway doing about 70mph. Engine just quit. Didn't hear anything from engine. Push the start button and get nothing. All lights and other systems work. After coasting to a stop about 1 minute later opened the hood and had Minor smoke for about 10 seconds coming up from rear of engine. How can I determine if the engine is bad/locked? Should I be able to spin the harmonic balancer by hand or if I put a wrench on the harmonic balancer bolt, how much force should it take to spin the crank? I don't want to pay to have it taken to the dealer and also pay them to trouble shoot it if its not the engine. (All just happened and had to go to work so didn't have time to look at it yet)

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,762 Posts
Try starting using the starter and if engine gone you'll hear the starter drive will go into the flywheel then nothing.
Yes, you can always try turning the engine using the crank bolt, but chances are if the engine was running and gave up and can't be turned by the starter, toast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm assuming you're aware of the engine seize recall? You have the symptoms for it. Did you get the software monitoring system installed as part of this recall? Major recall and Kia Hyundai under investigation for possibly trying to cover it up. And to compound the problem some early engines that were replaced as part of this recall were having fires due to a fuel pipe installed incorrectly or loose. My sons 2015 Kia Optima is currently waiting for a reman engine as Kia put all eligible cars a lifetime warranty on the engine block. Apparently there was a defect in there mfg process where some metal was left on something blocking oil, thus throwing a rod. Here's a good read:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn’t know about there being a recall. Never received a notice.
Last week I did receive info about the class action lawsuit saying the engine is lifetime warranty. Was going to make an appointment to have the knock detection software installed but the engine quit first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gmdj2, based on your initial description it sounds like you might have the inevitable engine seize. If you took your car into a Kia dealership within the last year or so they probably installed that software which is supposed to monitor engine knock and shut down the engine just as you described. Tow it to the dealership they will pay for your towing charges if that's what the issue is. Did you read the details on the link I provided? Take it to the dealership and get in line. There will be a lot of people in front of you waiting for an engine. They will provide you a rental or reimburse you for a rental. In the end Kia/Hyundai is owning up to this problem and is also offering a lifetime warranty on the block.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gmdj2, based on your initial description it sounds like you might have the inevitable engine seize. If you took your car into a Kia dealership within the last year or so they probably installed that software which is supposed to monitor engine knock and shut down the engine just as you described. Tow it to the dealership they will pay for your towing charges if that's what the issue is. Did you read the details on the link I provided? Take it to the dealership and get in line. There will be a lot of people in front of you waiting for an engine. They will provide you a rental or reimburse you for a rental. In the end Kia/Hyundai is owning up to this problem and is also offering a lifetime warranty on the block.
Hope the software was installed. Was at the dealer about a year ago to have heated seat fixed. Off work the next couple days. Calling dealer today.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,762 Posts
The software doesn't shut the engine down, it blinks the cel (3600) and max rpm @2000. If the engine shuts down, it's seized.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, the soonest dealers first appointment for a tow in vehicle is next week. I have some time to rule out some things. Was thinking about pulling the crank relay and jumper if the terminals to see if it cranks or at least see it the starter engages. Does anyone have a wire diagram for the start circuit? I’m thinking the relay closes terminals 30 to 87. If I jumper these , the starter should try to crank the car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you're going to mess with it you risk doing something that the dealer says you caused the problem. I would buy a cheap OBD scanner and check the codes before messing with anything.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,762 Posts
I said it earlier, just try and start the car and you should hear the starter drive engage the flywheel, if not?????????????

·
Registered
4 Posts
The software doesn't shut the engine down, it blinks the cel (3600) and max rpm @2000. If the engine shuts down, it's seized.
Yes you are correct. I mistyped. It allows you to drive a max of 60-65 mph with really low RPMs I think like 1500ish. This allows the driver to at least get to a safe spot. This is exactly how my son explained what happened to his. He drove a little ways then the motor just quit and wouldn’t start back up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, the soonest dealers first appointment for a tow in vehicle is next week. I have some time to rule out some things. Was thinking about pulling the crank relay and jumper if the terminals to see if it cranks or at least see it the starter engages. Does anyone have a wire diagram for the start circuit? I’m thinking the relay closes terminals 30 to 87. If I jumper these , the starter should try to crank the car?
Doesn’t surprise me. I’d tow it there now and push for a sooner diagnosis. The dealers are backed up with this issue. Where are you located? We were able to get our car in on Monday this week and the engine was ordered today. This is the Murfreesboro, TN dealer. Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts