Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting my engine replaced under the Kia recall 2011 Optima SX w/122,000miles. Just curious how are the new engines doing compared to the original? Are they better, the same, or worse???

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,597 Posts
From what I've seen is that a few have needed to be replaced, but from my standpoint the replacement engines as a whole don't have a great many miles, give it time. I had our 2.0T replaced at 172,000 miles and now with 186,000 no problems at all, but the engine comes with a Lifetime Warranty, so guess we'll see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I've seen is that a few have needed to be replaced, but from my standpoint the replacement engines as a whole don't have a great many miles, give it time. I had our 2.0T replaced at 172,000 miles and now with 186,000 no problems at all, but the engine comes with a Lifetime Warranty, so guess we'll see.
From what I’m being told is it will have an UNLIMITED mile warranty but only up to 15years... I would like to modify my car later down the road without thinking it could possibly go back to the dealership for yet another replacement. I’m hoping Kia figured out the issue so it won’t happen again. I was just thinking I hear alot about the motors being replaced but I don’t hear anything good/bad about the new engines... I have yet to confirm but I do believe my engine is going to be replaced with a remanufactured engine NOT a new engine.

·
Registered
482 Posts
From what I’m being told is it will have an UNLIMITED mile warranty but only up to 15years... I would like to modify my car later down the road without thinking it could possibly go back to the dealership for yet another replacement. I’m hoping Kia figured out the issue so it won’t happen again. I was just thinking I hear alot about the motors being replaced but I don’t hear anything good/bad about the new engines... I have yet to confirm but I do believe my engine is going to be replaced with a remanufactured engine NOT a new engine.
Lifetime warranty

And the fact you haven't heard anything good or bad about the engines is a good thing. They're working as they should.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lifetime warranty

And the fact you haven't heard anything good or bad about the engines is a good thing. They're working as they should.
that’s what I’m really hoping/praying for, that the replacements are much better because I plan to mildly build mine with stage 1tune, downpipe, catless midpipe, diverter valve, intake, etc.... and I don’t want this motor going bad atleast not anytime soon. 😣

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima SX-T
71 Posts
Wow I didn't know this went clear up from 2011 to 2018 theta II's. 15yrs unlimited miles isn't bad :)

·
Super Moderator
2013 Kia Optima
589 Posts
My new engine has been great. I've gone about 7,000 miles since replacement. I even modded the car more, tuned it, and have been driving it pretty hard. It's working like a champ.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My new engine has been great. I've gone about 7,000 miles since replacement. I even modded the car more, tuned it, and have been driving it pretty hard. It's working like a champ.
Nice 👍 I literally just installed all my bolt-ons and tuned it for stage1+ so far so good zero issues.

·
Registered
72 Posts
After 109144 miles, recent tire and oil change in June 11, 2020. I thought all was well. My 2013 EX engine went bye bye. The car has been at Karp Kia for 3 weeks, and I am told that the engine is being replaced, at no cost to me. In a debate with my wife about getting a new 2021 Kia or jumping to another car. We had a 2004 kia optima where the engine also had issues, I could only drive the car in reverse without an issue, driving forward and it would cut off. That is when we got the 2013. To be honest, no other dealer would give a good trade in value(I couldn't blame them). Wondering if I should stick Kia and get the 2021 GT or Ex or call it a day with kia and switch out.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Got a letter in the mail this morning stating that ALL 2011-2019 Optimas have engine failures and fires, apart of the class action lawsuit. I would’ve thought they had time to iron out all the issues with the 2019 models.

Reactions: Chicharonnes
1 - 10 of 10 Posts