Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found two hoses connected to the air intake system of my 2018 Optima 2.4 were left disconnected by the dealer service department. One hose is the breather hose that connects to the nipple in the air intake hose. The other is the vacuum hose that connects to the nipple in the back left side of the air cleaner. The pinch clamps were slid down the hose, so the hoses didn't just pop off.

Both of these hoses would have to be removed if the air cleaner and air intake hose are to be pulled out for accessing something underneath.

What is the impact of these two hoses being disconnected over thousands of miles of driving?

Why would the dealer disconnect the two hoses? The only servicing I can recall them doing is the KDS harness replacement.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,060 Posts
KSDS update doesn't require intake removal, so have no idea as to why the hoses were removed.
Surprised that with the vacuum hose removed nothing was noticed with performance, but with the breather hose removed, fresh air was going into the engine unfiltered. As far as damage, wouldn't have any idea as to future problems, if any, but I wouldn't be a happy camper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you.

The KSDS update to the ECM was applied in Dec. 2018. The wiring harness for the Knock Detection Sensor system was replaced under a technical bulletin in February 2019 following an engine failure which required the service person to remove the air box (per the invoice). That is the only time my engine has been serviced. The vacuum hose and breather hose had to be disconnected for that and obviously was not replaced.

I can understand the disconnected breather hose would not cause a noticeable change in engine performance, but the vacuum hose is connected to other functions beyond just the system in the air box (i.e. the brake booster). My concern is dirt in the engine and possible loss of fuel economy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts