Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima Kia Optima EX Luxury
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, did a search and couldn't find if anyone has done this. I want to install my LED DRLs on my 2013 EXL, but I want to be able to control them via an on off switch. Has anyone done this and would this be easier than all the wiring needed to install them to the daytime running lights? I'm asking because I would like to choose when they are on, like possibly driving at night and having them on instead of foglights. Sorry if this is a dumb question or if its been covered before, I just would like this done and don't have the slightest clue how to do this, thanks!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
That's how I have mine hooked up. I have a toggle switch from Radio Shack connected to one on the unused little panels to the lower left of the steering wheel. The switch interrupts the positive power wire going to the DRL's.

Much simpler than using all the relays a lot of people use. I decide when the DRL's are on. Can't get much simpler than that. Works great.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,816 Posts
Yes the process of installing these to a switch inside the cabin that allows them to be turned on and off is quite simple actually. This is exactly how mine were wired up on my 2012 Optima SX model.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to know its an easier task, thanks guys! Ya, I was thinking of somewhere in that area bumpercut, a simple switch is good for me. I'm just not positive (no pun intended) on how to wire this up, I haven't done much wiring in my time. Any tips or simple explanation as to how to do this? Do I cut off the plugs and run the wires to a fuse then to switch inside? I need a crash course! :$

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Do have the DRL's installed yet? If not, go ahead and install them first, then we can worry about a switch. If not, you probably need a DRL install guide (there are many here) rather than a DRL switch install guide.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, so just follow the DRL install guide posted in the forums, hook em up like everyone else has and then rewire to a switch?

·
Registered
2013 Kia K5
145 Posts
I have mine hooked up to the Sensor 1 fuse. My switch is my ignition. :D

I really would have liked to have them wired to the headlight toggle, much like how they are hooked up in the 2015 Sorento, but I have no idea how to do that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes the process of installing these to a switch inside the cabin that allows them to be turned on and off is quite simple actually. This is exactly how mine were wired up on my 2012 Optima SX model.
Hey, what switch did you use and where did you install it? I bought the Fog Light Bezel DRL upgrade and want to install a switch to manually control when its on or off. I tried to find a switch to install in the blank panels on the lower left side of the steering wheel to blend right in, but clearly you can't put a nice switch there since behind the blank panels is a whole module use for the ABS switch to the left... I'd like to put a nice rocker in, but not sure where the best location would be to do it.. this rocker: Weatherproof LED Rocker Switch with Legend | Super Bright LEDs. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated! Thanks, Rov

1 - 8 of 8 Posts