Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2012 Optima EX Turbo 2.0 70,000 mileage. Code initially said problem likely with high pressure fuel line. Car took longer to start and almost completely stalled if heavier than normal acceleration attempted. Discovered there are two fuel pumps, a low pressure pump/filter inside gas tank, and a high pressure fuel pump sitting on top of crankcase on top of motor. Both expensive. Almost $700 at dealer just for high pressure pump part. So drove for over one month with only low pressure pump. No problem, just don't try and pass or accelerate on highway.

Finally bought off market high pressure pump made in Germany for $150. Watched YouTube videos and installed myself. Success. Engine back to normal, turbo kicked in nicely when asked. About 10 days later no joy.

A day or so before I thought I sensed an engine miss or stutter when accelerating. So I decided to goose it on deserted road in morning. As soon as turbo kicked in the engine just shutdown. All panel lights came on and coasted to stop at roadside. Car turned over, but would not start. Left it and walked mile back to house to Google.

Now about 107F outside. Walked back to car anticipating call to AAA to come get me. Opened hood and checked electronic connection to high pressure fuel pump. It seemed tight. No leaks, no nada. Tried to start it, just for fun. It started immediately like there was never a problem. I drove off relieved, but not going to press my luck by jumping on turbo again. Drove "fine" like that for another week.

Now headed out of town on freeway. Going 80 without a hitch. Got to destination and on return leg I was headed up 6% climb backed up by 18 wheelers. Decided to pass them. Jumped out to fast lane where fast cars approaching. Temporarily spaced on turbo issue and jumped on accelerator. No sooner was I in fast lane when engine shutdown with fast traffic coming. Could not get into slow lane behind trucks again and sitting duck in fast lane losing speed really fast. Had to bailout onto left shoulder next to fast lane.

Thought I would again sit for an hour before calling AAA. I was 47 miles from home. Thought maybe my checking electronic connection to fuel pump fixed it the last time, so checked connection again. Tried to start. Nada. So sat there.

Highway Patrol showed about 45 minutes later, concerned I was on left shoulder. Explain all of the above and said I was just waiting and hoping before calling AAA. He wanted me to move to right shoulder. Car stuck in park, so pressed starter button and she sputtered to life. I drove off. Everything worked fine, but I was not going to jump on accelerator ever again.

So, what now? I have not contacted eBay part seller, nor have I gone to dealer. Car runs just fine, so long as I stay off of turbo. Anyone know if I somehow disturbed the turbo god when I replaced high pressure fuel pump, or do you think it might be a faulty new off brand fuel pump. Since I replaced it myself, I don't want to go to dealer if I can avoid it. Don't want to wrongfully claim my new fuel pump is faulty, either. So I am watching YouTube videos and joined this forum. I am no mechanic. I was very proud after replacing the fuel pump. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
Having not done any work on the fuel system, but I'd venture to say that if the HPFP is not working, don't belive the car would even run as how could fuel pass through the pump and especially w/o the 2175PSI, no fuel would be injected. I would check the intank pump pressure 72PSI.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,191 Posts
Have there been any new codes thrown by the computer? Surely the car is generating some kind of error code when you get the full on shut down.

And is the shutdown kind of gradual, like you are starving for enough fuel?

Or is the shutdown immediate, like you are hauling ass then the engine just shuts off?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a very similar issue. I replaced the HPFP with an aftermarket and I would randomly have the car die on me. After a certain amount of time it usually restarted. I replaced the aftermarket with a factory and had the same luck. I ended up pulling the low pressure pump out and found that it had backed out of the pump housing a bit, which probably caused a pressure drop. I tried searching the internet to see if this was a common problem and found nothing. I did see that the old housing is a discontinued part and you have to by the whole pump/sending unit housing which i believe was redesigned. I am now hung up on what to do, modify the old to better secure the pump or buy the whole new housing hoping there is a new design. Hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts