Kia Optima Forums banner

681 - 692 of 692 Posts

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #681
No, not referring to fog lights at all. I have those. SX vs. SX-L the SX has no DRL's. That's what I'm trying to rectify, and thought the switchbacks in the turn signals might be able to be wired to be on all the time. My electronics guy wants to take apart the headlights and add some LED strips internally to use as DRL's. I have a limited budget, so the idea of him taking the extra time to bake apart my lights kind of worries me. On the other hand, I have some clear lenses I've been wanting to put in the HID projectors, so might kill two birds with one stone there. I dunno. Just a matter of decided what to do at this point.
Ahh ok makes sense. Guess anything is possible. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Got the K5 bulbs installed no problem and no issues. Well, one issue, and maybe it's just my car, but it has to be OFF when swapping the bulbs or the computer gets confused or something. I tried with it on and could not for the life of me get anything but amber to light up. Finally just decided to turn it off and in frustration tried again and boom...it worked. Whatever...lol.

The color of the bulbs was a bit blue compared to everything else, and they weren't quite bright enough to run as DRL's, which is my whole plan, so I went back to the first type of bulb I ordered, which, I hate to say it but I'm being honest, are way brighter. They are very similar to what you have for the high powered reverse bulbs.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #685
Got the K5 bulbs installed no problem and no issues. Well, one issue, and maybe it's just my car, but it has to be OFF when swapping the bulbs or the computer gets confused or something. I tried with it on and could not for the life of me get anything but amber to light up. Finally just decided to turn it off and in frustration tried again and boom...it worked. Whatever...lol.

The color of the bulbs was a bit blue compared to everything else, and they weren't quite bright enough to run as DRL's, which is my whole plan, so I went back to the first type of bulb I ordered, which, I hate to say it but I'm being honest, are way brighter. They are very similar to what you have for the high powered reverse bulbs.
Glad to hear you got them installed without any issues. I don't ever recall hearing of the problem you mentioned, hopefully it is not a wiring issue of some sort.

I'm a bit surprised to hear you say that they weren't that right. We usually don't hear that feedback and I appreciate your honesty.

There is only one bulb that I've come across in the past that is a tad bit brighter than the ones that you bought from us. Those are the exLEDUSA ones we sell on the site.

You didn't mention in the past that you were going to do a side-by-side comparison and send it to me. Did you happen to complete that yet? I'd love to see the results.

Shoot me an email with the info if you don't mind. [email protected]

·
Registered
52 Posts
As soon as I get a chance I'll put one of yours in and take a pic or two, maybe one during the day and one at night. The difference is noticeable, especially against a wall at night and just overall visibility during the day. I had so many issues just getting them to work right that I kind of back-burnered the pics. I'm still a little hesitant to take one out after taking such effort to get them to work right....lol.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #687
As soon as I get a chance I'll put one of yours in and take a pic or two, maybe one during the day and one at night. The difference is noticeable, especially against a wall at night and just overall visibility during the day. I had so many issues just getting them to work right that I kind of back-burnered the pics. I'm still a little hesitant to take one out after taking such effort to get them to work right....lol.
Ok cool sounds good. Looking forward to seeing the comparison of the two. Sucks you are having so many issues with the other brand you bought working properly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Alright, I tried. I really think my car has it in for me with the switchbacks. I could not for the life of me get yours to light up white. Yes, I put the bulbs in the right way... LOL. I got the amber part, but the white was a no go. I did post a pic with the other bulbs somewhere but with nothing to compare them to. The best I can do is that. If you want a little link to the other ones let me know and I'll PM you. Once I got them to work they are impressive, and I don't think it's the bulbs fault. My car seems really, really finicky with these things no matter whose they are. I probably eventually could have gotten yours to work but it's - 5 outside right now.... LOL.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #689
Alright, I tried. I really think my car has it in for me with the switchbacks. I could not for the life of me get yours to light up white. Yes, I put the bulbs in the right way... LOL. I got the amber part, but the white was a no go. I did post a pic with the other bulbs somewhere but with nothing to compare them to. The best I can do is that. If you want a little link to the other ones let me know and I'll PM you. Once I got them to work they are impressive, and I don't think it's the bulbs fault. My car seems really, really finicky with these things no matter whose they are. I probably eventually could have gotten yours to work but it's - 5 outside right now.... LOL.
How weird, I bet the issue was with the length of the bulbs. Ours being longer or shorter than the ones you have. The issue 95% of the time, is due to the metal prongs in the factory bulb holders being pushed down a bit causing them not to make proper contact to both of the metal tabs on the bottom of the bulbs which allow for single white color or the blinking of the amber color.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The next time I have a reason to be in there I'll try bending the contacts out a bit. I did do that at one point and it seemed to help. Maybe they got compacted down again and are missing the connection.

681 - 692 of 692 Posts